Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179182 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »
The mind boggles....  :o

(Sorry Yorkie, that's not helpful I know, but I am intrigued!)

It is possible to modify picture files by rotating or flipping, I just want to o the same with a video.  The camera is mounted from above rather than below, that's why it plays upside down on my PC.  I could always turn the screen but I know that there is software available.  Just want a recommendation.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »
I use vlc media player to play videos which are incompatible with the standard players - media player quicktime etc.
Its free & easy to use. I have never tried rotating video, but vlc is capable of doing it. Instructions here:   http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/how-to-rotate-videos-in-vlc-player.html

Download here:  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Have a read about it & see if it is what you want.

Hope this helps

Rob

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »
Thanks, Rob.  I already use vlc and the video plays well but I cannot seem to find a way of saving the modified file onto disc so that it will play normally on any DVD player.   Maybe I will have to make an investment and pay for a change!   :D
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »

Offline martin

Re: Computers and Video
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »
I have recently invested in a new Video camera/recorder that is permanently mounted but due to the location has to be upside down.   When I play the video it is also upside down.  Can anyone tell me a simple way to get the play back the right way up?  A nice bit of free, easy to use software would be preferable.

I have tried a couple of pieces of software found through Google but not had any great success with them.
I had bought one of these camera's for about £20 on e-bay, and like you I had the problem of upside down video, however the first camera was returned because of a fault, I them purchased one from another seller, and this has the inbuilt facility to flip the display/video.  All of that said, in my case the camera is there to monitor the road ahead so the only time I would need to show the video would be if someone caused an accident and the footage was needed to show what had happened, so the orientation would not be of concern.  I find that it gives piece of mind, especially as all of the accidents I have been involved in over the years, have all resulted from other people basing into me. 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Give u teci people a laugh
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »
    I'm in the middle of changing from a PC to Mac after 15 years.
    So, today, I get to grips with it. Second hand of course. No instructions, Buy a book or two from kindle.
   Lets move my music. iTunes from 1pad. Struggled for over 2 hours. Getting nowhere.
   Lets try photos. Picasa etc. Maybe an hour. Again no further forward.
   So, lets give up, make some tea, try again tomorrow, turn it off
   A pop up. We've got a download for you, it will take over an hour. OVER AN HOUR???
   Happened to be an o/s.
   No wonder I hadn't got very far.     Mike

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Give u teci people a laugh
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »
Mike, I'm not a teci but your stories always give me such a laugh. It's the way you tell them!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Give u teci people a laugh
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »
       Thanks Hollins. So, the comedians are taking over the 3townsforum.  I didn't know I qualified Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2012, 07:29:39 am »
MIke: can you tell us the age of the new machine, specs, etc?  And' don't forget manuals for all Apple computers are online at Apple  - http://support.apple.com/manuals/

Meanwhile, if you post any queries in here, I'll certainly do my best to help.  The OS download might not help that much, actually, as it's more down to which version of the OS you're using. To find out, put the mouse pointer over the tiny apple sign at the top LH side of the screen and click  "about this Mac", which will tell you what version of the OS is installed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:01 pm »
   Thank you Ian. There are a lot of kind people on this forum.

But before I enlist anybodies help I must stress that it was my decision to bring myself problems. I knew very little about Macs but always had a fancy for one but lacked the courage, and, most importantly time, to get involved. Now, for the next two or three months and for the first time for very many years, Ive got the time.
   So, I decided to buy a second hand recon bread and butter Mac, mess around with it, hopefully learn about it, and then, should the time come in the future and I had a few bob in my pocket ---- well then I would know what I was looking for.  In past years I have always been a fool rushing in with anything, cars etc and business ideas, but at long last I might have got a bit of sense.
  I wont at this stage worry you with the details, Its a 13 inch model around 3 and a half years old, cost just over £300 and has Mountain Lion on it --- or should I say half way on it.  The dealer I bought it from did say that it was wiped clean of everything.
   Ive also bought a couple of "dummies" books on my Kindle. I must say, slightly changing the subject, I love my Kindle for reading books whilst on holiday, but I dont find them the best for reference like I need now. Its far easier and quicker to skip to the page which you can find easier and quicker as well.
   I will carry on, and when I get stuck I will take you up on your kind offer.  Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2012, 09:49:46 pm »
   Oh, and a P.S.    One BIG disadvantage with this Mac laptop I've bought.

I have always been a very cold bloodied, I am a sun lover and I feel the winter cold badly. My old Dell with its HD grinding away on my knee, it was just like a hotwater bottle. Saved me a fortune in gas bills.

Now, to my Mac. Ice maiden sitting on my knee and British Gas will soon want to increase my monthly payments.  Mike

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
You are nothing if not adventurous Mike.

I think most of us on this Forum would turn to YOU for help with computers, after all you are way ahead of many of us!

I shall follow this thread with eager anticipation.  (I'm buying a Kindle tomorrow)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:40 am »
Its a 13 inch model around 3 and a half years old, cost just over £300 and has Mountain Lion on it

Hmmm...Mountain lion won't run properly on a machine of that age, Mike.  I suspect you'd be better off with Snow Leopard.  I can take a look at it for you, and probably install SL on it, instead of Mountain Lion if you have no success getting it going.  See what happens over the next few days, anyway.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2012, 10:15:22 am »
I have a 15" aluminium body MacBook of a similar age, think it has Snow Leopard on it, runs very well.  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:19 am »
You are nothing if not adventurous Mike.

I think most of us on this Forum would turn to YOU for help with computers, after all you are way ahead of many of us!

I shall follow this thread with eager anticipation.  (I'm buying a Kindle tomorrow)

Just a question!

If I buy a book from Amazon Kindle is there any way I can "lend" it to another person with a Kindle?  E.g. By transferring it from my PC?
(I am presuming that I have downloaded the book as many times as I able on my wn account)

$thanx$
Cicero