Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179118 times)

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »
no prob, We can sort it tomorrow. eml files are just text files & can also be opened in notepad.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
Oops! I've only been and gone and snapped my headphone jack in the socket on my lappy. Now I can't listen to my i-tunes. Any suggestions please? :rage:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2012, 04:36:50 pm »
it Support services
James Hughes
e-mail james@itsupportservices.info

James usually sorts out any probs we may have-- he may be able to help.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
Hi,
Make sure pc is turned off, & use a pair of long nosed pliers to pull out the broken bit, dont worry, as long as there is no power to your pc, you will not damage it.
If you cant do this, then it depends on how much you know about pcs & bios settings
 whether or not I can help you online.

Rob

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:11 pm »
I have successfully removed something in a similar situation by carefully using superglue to attach a cocktail stick to the broken piece and then pulling it out.  The cocktail stick needs the point removing to give a larger glued surface.  Just be careful to be sparing with the glue and don't glue the lot together.   
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2012, 08:41:00 pm »
Good idea from Yorkie.  But as said, be sparing on the amount of glue.
If you cannot remove the broken bit, my next thought would to be:
Buy a new soundcard for the pc, & either exchange the current one, or turn off the onboard one in the bios. - - Either way is quite easy, depending on how confident you are with pc hardware.

Rob

Offline Paddy

« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2012, 05:45:24 am »
Thanks guys, I knew I would get some interesting replies on here.

Nemesis, I was hoping to do it myself so there would be no charge. I'm a bit skint!

Yorkie, Please tell me you just made that up so that anyone who Googles "superglue" or "cocktail stick" will be directed to the forum. I'm definitely going to give it a try though.

Rob, I am not too confident about opening the lappy up and I don't know what a "bios" is. Computers are like cars to me. I'm reasonably adept at operating them but everything that goes on under the bonnet is witchcraft as far as I'm concerned!

A friend who is a bit more computer savvy than I has suggested just leaving it in there and getting some USB speakers but will they work while the lappy thinks headphones are connected?

You lot are ace!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2012, 06:30:28 am »
Can you not slide a small screwdriver inside the jack, twist it to one side and then pull the whole thing out?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:54 am »
Yorkie didn't make it up and sure enough, if you Google 'superglue and cocktail' you do get the Polar forum....

http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=24632
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
Thanks guys, I knew I would get some interesting replies on here.

Yorkie, Please tell me you just made that up so that anyone who Googles "superglue" or "cocktail stick" will be directed to the forum. I'm definitely going to give it a try though.

You lot are ace!

No Paddy, not made up, a real case of having to find a solution to a problem.
If you Google Paddys Jack you will discover that amongst other things you will find it is a Greyhound!  Might be worth a bet!    ;)
Cicero

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:27 am »
 I just presumed it was a pc, not a lappy. I should have read your post properly $smack$

The best way to sort it out is to try to remove the broken bit. The sound card cannot be removed.
Alternatively as your friend has suggested, get some usb speakers - yes they should work. You may have to change your default playback device in the sound options in start\control panel, to your usb speakers if they are not automatically used.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2012, 11:18:57 am »
Another easy solution, whip it round to Dave Brammer in the little Computer shop behind Boots in Back Madoc Street.   Very helpful chap.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2012, 07:37:19 pm »
Has this shop changed hands?You say he is helpful, but,if its the same shop, a couple of years ago it had a large sign inside saying words to the effect "We are not here to give free advice to anyone who comes in. Please go and ask elsewhere." These are not the exact words, but I read it. As I was prepared to pay for work done for me I wasent put off, but I didnt find it particularly inviting. Lots of people need to ask questions in a computer shop to helpthem make  a decision whether to spend their cash or not.  To make it worse the owners had two matching BMWs parked outside.

Offline Yorkie

Computers and Video
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2012, 08:22:49 am »
I have recently invested in a new Video camera/recorder that is permanently mounted but due to the location has to be upside down.   When I play the video it is also upside down.  Can anyone tell me a simple way to get the play back the right way up?  A nice bit of free, easy to use software would be preferable.

I have tried a couple of pieces of software found through Google but not had any great success with them.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »
The mind boggles....  :o

(Sorry Yorkie, that's not helpful I know, but I am intrigued!)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -