Author Topic: CCBC costs and cutting  (Read 159974 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: CCBC: Cuts and cutting
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2014, 10:42:47 am »
CCBC Turkeys in 'not voting for Christmas' shock....  :laugh:

Conwy council rejects merger with neighbouring Denbighshire

A meeting was told council tax in Conwy county would go up if the authority joined forces with its neighbour.

Last week the Williams report recommended that the two authorities be combined into a single council.

But Conwy's deputy leader said the report did not mention the cost of mergers, and previous collaborations had not worked.

Last week First Minister Carwyn Jones said: "Change is inevitable and essential so that our public services can become more efficient, effective, accessible and responsive".

On Friday, councillors in Conwy considered a proposal that the authority should support a merger with Denbighshire and begin the process of making it happen.

But the idea was rejected by a large number of the councillors, who voted against starting talks about a merger.

Conwy council deputy leader Ronnie Hughes said: "I'm not going to lie down like a lap dog and let people stroke my stomach.

"It's foolish to start any negotiations with any other authority at the present time.

"Nowhere in the Williams report does it mention the costs of council mergers. Who picks up that bill? It's an absolute disgrace.

"We've had partnerships (with Denbighshire) in the past over highways - it was a disaster. I vote we stay as we are."

Councillor Mike Priestley added it would be "premature" to begin talks to create a new authority.

He said he was worried that council tax bills in Conwy county borough would go up if the two authorities merged.

Council tax bills for a band D home in Conwy council are currently £918.93, compared to £1,074.09 in Denbighshire.

Officials at Conwy council say that a merger of the two councils would probably mean a "blending" of the council tax levels, with Denbighshire's council tax coming down and the bill in Conwy going up.

They had calculated that the rise in Conwy would be 7.34% at current levels.

"Why should we merge with Denbighshire - they charge more for worse services," said Councillor Dave Cowans.

Councillor Graham Rees added: "I don't want to send a message that we're happy to dispose of Conwy on someone's whim. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to keep Conwy as Conwy."

But Councillor Goronwy Edwards, who proposed the motion, said: "The status quo is not the way forward.

"I will not sit back while the Welsh government pushes council mergers through.

"You could cut me in half and I'd have Conwy written inside me through and through.

"But we can either be part of the debate on reorganisation of local government or we can be spectators. I know which I'd rather be."

Councillor Joan Vaughan said it was only three years until a merged authority could come into being.

She added: "Three years is not a long time in politics. We need to be working on shaping the future now."

Councillors voted by a large majority for an alternative motion, which said that no merger talks would begin yet, but the authority would set up a committee to monitor the situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-25984467

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:43 am »
Now, I'm not suggesting Cllrr Ronnie Hughes is out of touch or anything but his comments are slightly odd:

"We've had partnerships (with Denbighshire) in the past over highways - it was a disaster."

...given that the joint Conwy/Denbighshire Highways dept received a major award for their collaboration a few years ago?

Conwy and Denbighshire's Joint Highways and Infrastructure Service has been awarded the 'Best Public / Public Partnership Working Initiative' at the APSE Service Awards 2010.

Councils throughout the UK compete for a place on the Association for Public Service Excellence (APSE) winners list.

Early in 2008, both Conwy and Denbighshire Councils had a vacancy for a Head of Service for their Highways Departments. The two councils decided on an innovative, collaborative approach that led to the appointment of a joint Head of Service and the establishment of a joint cross-boundary Highways and Infrastructure Service.  This close working and collaboration has provided a more sustainable and efficient management of resources.

Stuart Davies, Joint Head of Highways and Infrastructure for Conwy and Denbighshire Councils said, "The commitment shown by both authorities to collaborative working is at the forefront of local government thinking.  It's fantastic that our pioneering approach to collaboration has been recognised, and has triumphed against authorities across the UK."

Cllr Dilwyn Roberts, Leader Conwy County Borough Council said: "Winning this category is a real achievement. The award recognises the benefits of the collaboration in reducing costs and improving services for the residents of Conwy and Denbighshire."

Cllr Hugh Evans, Leader of Denbighshire County Council said: "We are really pleased that this partnership between Denbighshire and Conwy has been a success and is working so well. Working in partnership is the way forward and we look forward to working with Conwy and other organisations on this and future partnership opportunities."

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=7565&doc=27020

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »
Now, I'm not suggesting Cllrr Ronnie Hughes is out of touch or anything but his comments are slightly odd:

"We've had partnerships (with Denbighshire) in the past over highways - it was a disaster."

...given that the joint Conwy/Denbighshire Highways dept received a major award for their collaboration a few years ago?

Conwy and Denbighshire's Joint Highways and Infrastructure Service has been awarded the 'Best Public / Public Partnership Working Initiative' at the APSE Service Awards 2010.

Councils throughout the UK compete for a place on the Association for Public Service Excellence (APSE) winners list.

I have it on good authority from someone inside the Highways department that the collaboration with Denbighshire was a complete disaster and wasted shedloads of money.  Stuart Davies has long since departed his post so I doubt he still thinks the pioneering approach to collaboration is quite as fantastic as he did three years ago.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 01:20:21 am »

I have it on good authority from someone inside the Highways department that the collaboration with Denbighshire was a complete disaster and wasted shedloads of money.  Stuart Davies has long since departed his post so I doubt he still thinks the pioneering approach to collaboration is quite as fantastic as he did three years ago.

I can back Andy up on that. At least three trusted members of CCBC (in positions that should know the facts) also told me that it was a total mess that cost Conwy dearly. And it wasn’t our Councils fault that time…

I would be panicking about an amalgamation with Denbighshire, if I didn’t regard it as a certainty. What’s the point in getting stressed over a massive political agenda that will come into place regardless of what we say or want?   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:40 am »
Councillors voted by a large majority for an alternative motion, which said that no merger talks would begin yet, but the authority would set up a committee to monitor the situation.

_))* _))* _))* _))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:06 am »
Remember the school bus fiasco.  Collaborative working with Denbighshire taking the lead.  Denbighshire came in on budget but Conwy overspent by £550,000.  Maybe that was all just coincidence  :roll:.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2014, 11:38:25 pm »

_))* _))* _))* _))* _))* _))* _))*

That just sums up politics!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »
If ever the council is put in the position of having to make a decision it is standard practice to form a committee to look into it. They in turn will form a sub committee, who in turn will need outside consultants to advise them. Hey Presto its 5 to 10 years down the road and nothing has been achieved except of course a great deal of council tax payers money has been swallowed up in the process. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2014, 06:53:24 pm »
The thing is that it's not remotely CCBC's decision to make, so they are wasting their time. The Welsh Government will decide the changes and order them to be implemented. The wishes of Conwy Councillors are irrelevant, so they may as well spend their time on something more productive.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
Absolutely Dave.  The merger of councils in Wales is something that is HAPPENING to councils, it is a process that will be dictated to them.

Having meetings, projects, committees etc, about the mergers, is a terrible waste of time and money.

They might as well have meetings about whether an asteroid is going to hit the Earth anytime in the future.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:21 am »
Having meetings, projects, committees etc, about the mergers, is a terrible waste of time and money.

But surely you don't expect them to change the habits of a lifetime?  ££$
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2014, 08:45:57 am »
Nice to see CCBC has agreed a 5% hike in council tax. Roll on the mergers.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:57 am »
I visited the Sun Centre last summer, it was very very busy and I felt the largely very young staff were overwhelmed at the task of keeping it going, with long queues to get in, there were people jumping into the water next to the sign saying "do not jump", very long queues on the fairly slippery steps going up to the  slides, the changing rooms smelt awful and I spotted a discarded nappy on the floor of a changing booth, I was also very aware of a strong smell of food  wafting over from the poolside burger bar. Given the fairly expensive admission price it could hardly be closed for being uneconomical to run and under used, but there again I did decide never to venture there again!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
There must have been massive cuts in the parks dept as the grass is uncut and the gardens have been left to over grow,nice one CCBC.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »
I'm led to believe all the plants have gone over to Colwyn bay in an attempt to brighten up the area around 'Port HairyArse' ( the skip)