Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 561050 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
Going through some old papers we came across the Menu for the Dinner held at the opening of the New Llandudno Hospital.   They ate well in those days!!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »
John and I were sat outside his house the other day, it's a lovely little place that overlooks the train tracks in Conwy.  Perfect for John as he's a train fanatic.  As we sat there a Steam Train came past on it's way to Holyhead.  John told me all about it, the name, when it was built, how fast it went, how much coal it used etc etc, which I duly forgot I'm afraid, as I've got the memory span of a gnat!  What he did say was the Steam Train had to go all the way to Holyhead as there was nowhere nearer that the train could turn round.  It seems mad that as it works out around a 100 miles round trip? 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »
Diesel trains don't need turntables, so no need for them anymore.

Offline Jack

« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »

Didn't wrex say that a steam train was coming to the extravaganza?  How did that manage at Llandudno station or did it have a diesel loco on the other end to pull it home?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: May 02, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »
They will have reversed it down to the main line at Llandudno Junction, then along to Valley to do the runaround.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:49 pm »

I seem to remember that turntables are only used in railway yards, where a single arrival line can be rotated to each of several short lines heading to sheds.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
I've just been looking at the Menu displayed by Yorkie and it reminded me of a funny situation I found myself in over fifty years ago. I was working in Barclays Bank in Conwy and one of our daily customers was the Wife of the Manager of the Castle Hotel opposite. One day she was complaining to my boss, the bank manager, how she was stuck for staff, illness etc and the hotel secretary had'nt turned up--- "What am I going to do about the menues?"  Believe it or not, in those days, they typed individual menues EVERY DAY for different foods. Maybe ten or twelve to go on ten or twelve tables. My boss shouts to me, "Owen---you can type. Go with Mrs so and so and type her menues." So, off I went to the Castle. However, readers of this forum will know full well that spelling is definately NOT my best subject. And that's in English, never mind French etc. What a struggle, I could do the typing O.K. but ---- .   However I must have got away with it because it became a fairly regular habit for me to go over to the Castle for menu typing (being paid by Barclays Bank of course). But the Hotel gave my Wife and I a free lunch every Sunday which was nice.  Mike

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:32 pm »
They will have reversed it down to the main line at Llandudno Junction, then along to Valley to do the runaround.

I understand it was top & tailed with two steam engines which both then had to go to Valley as they have a triangle there to run them around so that they face the correct way for the return journey. If they don't do this their speed is restricted if they operate in 'reverse' which would cause tailbacks on the network on their return journey. When it pulled out of Llandudno one of the sleepers was smouldering and the signaller had to extinguish it with a kettle of water. I hear it also set off lineside fires at Abergele, Prestatyn & Rockliffe Hall on it's way back.
Valar Morghulis

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:21 pm »
 However I must have got away with it because it became a fairly regular habit for me to go over to the Castle for menu typing (being paid by Barclays Bank of course). But the Hotel gave my Wife and I a free lunch every Sunday which was nice.  Mike

I loved that story! How relaxed things were in those days.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos of the weekend activities for us out of towners.
It looked like it was a really busy time for everyone and some wonderful blue skies.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:29:43 am by Ian »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41:48 am »
I have posted some info given to me by a steam train guru on the Coffee Centre thread.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »
This IS the Coffee Centre Thread.   I see no trains!   >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
Going back to the subject of reversing steam trains and turntables, what happened in the 'Golden Age' of steam when Llandudno was the end of the line? 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:23 pm »
There was a 60ft Turntable at the Carriage Sidings in the Station then.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:03 pm »
Thanks Hollins for loving my story. Heres another one from the same time and place. New Years Eve 1957. Banks always worked often until 2 or 3 a.m. on that night--every single account had to be "ruled off" and every mortal thing had to be balanced. We in Barclays in Conwy did well and we finished about 10 p.m. The Manager was so pleased he said come on I'll buy everyone a drink in the Castle. He had suffered a stroke as a fairly young man and hadnt had any strong drink for months. It went to his head and he stumbled in the bar and knocked over a four foot high pile of pennies for charity, all sticky from beer. Then I was fancying the young female waitress and stayed long after the others had left. So, at 2 oclock in the morning I found myself walking back to Colwyn Bay where I lived. I got as far  the Black Cat and I thought "Ive got to be back in work in five hours, so I turned around and went back to the bank in Conwy, let myself in, turned on a convector type of heater which gave out a dull red glow, and crashed out asleep on the carpet in the managers office. Unfortunately the door to the Managers room had a frosted glass panel in it. Around six in the morning the daily cleaning lady let herself in, saw the glow in the glass, peered through and saw a body lying on the floor. Next thing she was screaming down Conwy High Street "Theres a body, help, help, someones done themselves in."  Needless to say that didnt go down very well with the Bank Manager. No wonder I never got any promotion.  Mike  By the way this is 100 percent true, there are probably still some Conwy residents who could vouch for it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
Excellent story, Mike, Keep them coming!  $good$