Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 560920 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:01 pm »
Then I was fancying the young female waitress and stayed long after the others had left.

Brilliant! Did you have any success with the waitress?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #286 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:56 pm »
One short word "NO"

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #287 on: May 04, 2011, 10:04:44 pm »
That story should be in the "funny true stories" thread Mike. Classic
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2011, 04:46:43 am »
 L0L Great story.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:01 am »
For the last week I've been giving up smoking mainly due to my youngest going on at me, which to be honest is a good thing.  I had my first cigarette at 9 and was buying them regularly from then really, sounds terrible doesn't it.  The local shop used to sell single Peter Stuyvesants for 7p a pop, even at 10 years old we were sold them quite openly over the counter, these were not isolated incidents or a matter of a unscrupulous shopkeepers you understand, judging from the people I have spoken to since, this was pretty acceptable and most shopkeepers did the same .  I was always sent to the shop for cigarettes for my step mother so it was relatively easy to obtain a packet of ten No 6.  By the time I was 11 we were pooling dinner money to share a pack and at 51p we could afford them.
So last Friday was d day as far as the fags go.  I smoked the last cigarette in the morning and on went the patches, I'm not going to say I haven't had a fag as I would be lying I have had 3.  I don't think the patches are that good as I now resemble a gingham cloth  or they could even be out of date I've had them since my last failed attempt months ago :roll:  I'm going to make an appointment in the doctors to get one of those Marlene Dietrich  plastic cigarette contraptions as I think it's more habit than anything.  My poor Hubby has suffered mind, I've paced the floor, been crabby  and I'm also guilty of being one of those annoying reformed smokers the type that really get up my nose.  However this time I shall persevere although I've a feeling Hubby has half a mind to grind up tobacco into my coffee just to keep the peace  :o  I could always give you a day to day account of my plight like I do with Gez................................ok maybe not  _))*

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2011, 01:15:46 pm »
Keep it up Pend, my father -in -law smoked 80 Seniors a day (untipped) and you can imagine what he died from. An awful death.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »
I've been smoking cigarettes not pensioners Nem  :o

Only joking, I'm pretty determined this time, I've never smoked that many really but over 30 years it's still not good.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2011, 01:39:47 pm »
Pendragon, if you go to Asda and have a brief chat with the Pharmacist he will give you the inhalator (Marlene Dietricht thing) for free.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »
They do that in Boots too,  I'm in town tomorrow, got to go to the Job Centre (that should be an experience I've not been in a job centre for 20 years) so I'll pop in.  Cheers Paddy

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »
Job Centres have changed. The're non smoking now

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2011, 09:03:12 pm »
Job Centres have changed in other ways too.... there are b****r all in the way of jobs within!

On the other hand, the days of leafing through cards on racks are over.
Instead, you can browse the computer, and leaf through various topics, almost like being on the Forum.  _))*

On a more positive note though, knowing you as I do, I can't imagine you needing to go there for long.
You are a very determined, reliable, intelligent and hard-working person.  If I was in a position to employ people (like I did for the last 25 years) I would be approaching YOU! 

The Job Centre is full of people that no self respecting recruiter would ever be interested in...sadly.
You won't fit in there I'm happy to say.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #296 on: May 05, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »
Ah thanks Fest  :-*

You watch after all my ranting they'll offer me the job of clearing St Agnes Graveyard on a YOP scheme  _))*

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »
You were right when you said Job Centers had changed.  On my last visit over twenty years ago I remember racks and racks  of cards offering employment covering three walls, I remember it as being quite basic with melamine tables and plastic chairs.  The idea was to sort through the cards find a job that you considered suitable and take them over to the disapproving stoney faced woman sat in the corner, who on looking at your chosen card would raise her eyebrows in a kind of "your kidding me" way.  That's the only time I ever went to be honest, I always found work without them, there was plenty about at that time. 
The staff in Job Centers have probably heard it all haven't they, you can picture the scene,some spotty can't be ar*ed teenager wearing a baseball cap complete with shell suit acting like Harry Enfields Kevin " ...........erm...........yeah I wanabe a astronaut  " or " Can you do YTS in Ibiza?"  ???  Yes thing's have definitely changed........ now they've got a lop sided fringe covering their face, they've got jeans round their thighs and their underpants on show to all and sundry  and that's just the staff  :o  Nah I'm only joking.
It's all very different now.  I arrived 9am this morning and was greeted by a security guard.  You can only imagine the kind of day they must have sometimes to warrant a security guard on the door  8)   $angry1$
I was directed to a lady who checked out my ID, now believe it or not and this is, I kid you not what she said to me "did you fill out this form on the internet?" she was smiling "Yes" I replied "Well it all looks pretty straight forward, provided there are no problems with your interview this will be the first time we've never had a problem" and she informed that the young man sat on the adjacent desk was going to conduct my 40 minute oops (due to cut backs) 20 minute interrogation  interview.  Now I'm not quite sure what she meant by her statement? It wasn't as if the form was complicated, I mean do people usually write Name Sharon then come to the interview suddenly write Name Brian?  The mind boggles.
I moved tables and hankfully to my relief from this point on everything was very normal, sat in front of me was a guy around my age looking slightly worse for wear to his left was a bottle of Lucozade (dead give away for a hangover) and next to that a bottle of Bubbly.  After a brief introduction and quick question and answers routine he told me it was his last day in the job, his contract had expired and from Monday he'd be sat in my seat.  He'd been for on his leaving do the night before and was a little rough.  Amazes me, more and more people unemployed, more people illegally claiming money and what does the government do, half the time of  interviews so they're not as thorough and then cut staffing levels.   :rage:  Really nice guy too he was very helpful and informative.  I in turn advised him not to turn to crime as a source of income as I was hoping to work with young offenders and it would be embarrassing if he ended up on community work  ;)   ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2011, 05:00:43 pm »
Ah thanks Fest  :-*

You watch after all my ranting they'll offer me the job of clearing St Agnes Graveyard on a YOP scheme  _))*

You can borrow my secateurs. ;D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »
Ever the Gent Dave as usual  D)