Author Topic: Less clean jokes: adults only  (Read 185248 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Less clean jokes: adults only
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2013, 01:37:25 pm »
I wasn't at sure about the 'joke' when I first saw it, but given the disquiet some have shown I've removed it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »
When I complained about the number of golliwogs being sold in the town I was told I was racist?

Were you complaining there were too few or too many?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2013, 12:34:48 am »
Disquiet Ian??   What Disquiet?     Lechwedd and B2R??   Ian, You have become the joke now.

B2R is my darts buddy, and penned his post from a completely tongue in cheek angle, to wind me up. Congratulations Dave, you did what you set out to do. (apart from the fact I rarely read the forum these days)

Llechwedd has been waiting for months, if not years to have a pop at me in response to her direct jab at people of English descent having the temerity to retire to Wales.    So well done Sweetheart, I hope you sleep soundly tonight. You have never come close to realising what a joke you became long ago.

Ian, given the dubious content of this thread, (which is what it was designed for) I suggest that you delete about 87% of what went before, using the same criteria.
We can all get back to discussing butterflies and knitting.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
Ian, given the dubious content of this thread, (which is what it was designed for) I suggest that you delete about 87% of what went before, using the same criteria.

There's no need to become so personal in your responses, Fester; it makes you sound petulant.

Looking at it dispassionately, the 'joke' was in poor taste, in my view. It relied on racist slang for its effect and - when I first read it - not only did it not seem remotely amusing but it left what I can only describe as a nasty taste, for a variety of reasons.

Many of the jokes in here are not to my taste, but that's fine:  they don't have to be because we all have different tolerances and appreciations of what is funny. But this is the first example I can remember of what can be described as a racist joke. I didn't do anything when it first appeared but I admit that the comments made subsequently, allied to my own sense of unease, in addition to long experience with forums where I know that for every written complaint there will probably be about ten more muttering behind the scenes, meant the wisest course of action was to remove it.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:55 am »
Disquiet Ian??   What Disquiet?     Lechwedd and B2R??   Ian, You have become the joke now.

B2R is my darts buddy, and penned his post from a completely tongue in cheek angle, to wind me up. Congratulations Dave, you did what you set out to do. (apart from the fact I rarely read the forum these days)

Llechwedd has been waiting for months, if not years to have a pop at me in response to her direct jab at people of English descent having the temerity to retire to Wales.    So well done Sweetheart, I hope you sleep soundly tonight. You have never come close to realising what a joke you became long ago.

We can all get back to discussing butterflies and knitting.

Each to their own Fester-- you stick to heavy metal--spending money--and getting at other members.

Merry Christmas by the way !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2013, 01:37:44 pm »
I was devastated to find out my wife was having an affair but, by turning to religion, I was soon able to come to terms with the whole thing. I converted to Islam, and we're stoning her in the morning!

Not petulant Ian, just acutely aware of the agendas that certain people have when posting on Forums / Blogs etc.
A trait that a moderator should employ, I feel.
You say that many silent complaints were hiding behind the 2 posted ones.  Well, that's an incredible deduction given that the two posted ones were not genuine!!

The hypocrisy of the recent comments is made all the more stark to me, given the nature of the above joke that you yourself posted.   (amongst quite a collection of yours which ridiculed Irish people, blonde women... etc, etc)

I also note the B2R has been conspicuous by his absence, since lighting the blue touchpaper on this one??    Speak up Dave please, if your integrity will permit you, just how offended WERE you exactly?  Hmmm.

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
You say that many silent complaints were hiding behind the 2 posted ones.  Well, that's an incredible deduction given that the two posted ones were not genuine!!

Are you saying the two posted comments were not, in fact, posted by the people concerned?  Or that they were, in fact, simply jokes? If the former, then I'd be grateful for the evidence.  If the latter, then I'd have expected jokes to be signed as such.  We have plenty of smilies. 

The hypocrisy of the recent comments is made all the more stark to me, given the nature of the above joke that you yourself posted.   (amongst quite a collection of yours which ridiculed Irish people, blonde women... etc, etc)

Hmmm.  Well, the one you chose was a very light one about religion - not race, and I'm sorry if you feel anything I've ever posted has ridiculed anyone. All those were simply copied and pasted from another site, and are all in the public domain. None has ever been described as racist.

I'm also sorry you can't see the difference between bathos and racism. I'm afraid I cannot see how employing the epithet 'spade' in direct reference to Nelson Mandela can be seen as anything other than racist language, at the very least.

Not petulant Ian

Well, describing people as becoming 'jokes' sounds a tad petulant. And I know you don't like being the butt of jokes yourself...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2013, 11:44:40 am »
You seem to be an expert in psychoanalysis now Ian?   
We don't know each other well enough for you to know what I like and don't like, (other than Star Trek, where I am four-square behind you)

Anyhow, I am disappointed that B2R texted me 3 times last night and set the record straight about this, but has failed to post it here.

As for 'Bathos v Racism', I'm afraid you are way too intelligent for me Ian, (as usual) and I have no idea what that even means.

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »
We don't know each other well enough for you to know what I like and don't like

I think your reactions to those topics in which you've been the target of mild ribbing says it all. I can produce the quotes, if you wish...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57:05 pm »
Of course you could Ian, because that is what you do.
To prove your points you will use many reference sources, in order to defeat and batter your 'supposed' opponent into submission.  Indeed I will say that you are renowned for it!

The very definition of 'Passive Aggressive' being demonstrated here.

I am regularly the butt of many jokes, and I quite often willingly invite ridicule upon myself, I am not precious about it.
But do what you want Ian, because I've lost interest to be honest.
I''m sure you won't be able to to leave the subject alone, until you have achieved the 'victory' that you crave.  &shake&
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »

The very definition of 'Passive Aggressive' being demonstrated here.

To prove your points you will use many reference sources

Well, let's not forget where this all started...

WWW WWW WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:23 pm »
I think we all would benefit from hearing Mr Born2Run's views on the matter.  :cyclist40:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:12 pm »
Indeed, and I did receive yet another text from him on the subject only this afternoon.  But still nothing here.

Strange, seeing as he isn't usually shy at expressing his opinions.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:48 am »
 >>> Gosh!

Well yesterday I was otherwise engaged. Apologies Fester, I wasn't purposely staying away to make you look bad.
The original joke I think had a racist content, not that it particularly offended me in any way, but I can quite see how it might offend others. Bad language doesn't offend me in the slightest but it irks me that this is ****** asterixed out!
So I was merely pointing out that if we are going to censor bad language we should also sensor such jokes.
I've known Fester a long time and am certain that he is not remotely racist and I find his views and opinions on here quite provacative and challenging - so if anyone does find Fester's dummy please can they chuck it pier wards as quickly as possible as I for one would miss Fester's cheery posts  $good$!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2013, 11:14:22 am »
The bad language censoring is done automatically, there's no means of censoring jokes the same way and I certainly don't have time to waste checking every joke posted to make sure it doesn't offend anyone.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to just get rid of the adult jokes thread completely?