Author Topic: Unemployment and Benefits  (Read 137079 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Unemployment and Benefits
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:09 am »
Everyone is entitled to their point of view and is welcome to put it forward on here. However, the laws of Libel still apply to Internet Forums and we cannot allow any unsubstantiated allegation to remain, as we are ultimately liable for what is posted on here.  :)

Offline pentan

Disability Living Allowance
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:52 am »
The government has headed off a House of Lords defeat over plans to replace the Disability Living Allowance

DLA The brainchild of Thatcher in the 80s to hide the high unemployment figures!! Is to be replaced by PIP it is hoped that this new benefit will save millions for the country by weeding out people that should not be on the old benefit as they do not reflect real Disability.

All claimants will be medically assessed for the new PIP by a French medical firm who work on a basis of the more people they refuse the more profit they make, this idea was implemented by the last Government, and you can find the cost of this to the tax payer by searching for atos.

The new Benefit will not be available for children under 16 like the old DLA although in principal I agree with bill so far this part in my opinion is ill thought out, it is very costly to provide for a disabled child as the government provide very little support
So goodbye to bad back claims repetitive strain, I’m to depressed to get up for work all we need now is more jobs

Offline pentan

Re: Disability Living Allowance
« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:19 am »
My MP Tim Farron (Tim Farron (Westmorland and Lonsdale, Liberal Democrat)
 asked this question yesterday

"To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how much his Department paid for the services provided by ATOS Healthcare in 2009-10"

Chris Grayling (Minister of State (Employment), Work and Pensions; Epsom and Ewell, Conservative) replied

The DWP paid ATOS Healthcare
 £107 million in 2009-10 for the services provided under the medical services agreement.

This figure not only covers the total number of examinations undertaken across all benefits, but also costs relating to written and verbal medical advice, fixed overheads, administrative costs, investment in new technology and other service improvements.

Nice little earner for ATOS.

Source: Parliamentary Answers 08/11/2010

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
AROUND 10,000 people in Wales will be hit by the Government’s housing benefits cap, it was revealed yesterday.

The figures were released as the coalition survived the first of a series of challenges to its welfare reforms in the House of Lords.

The Government’s impact assessment said 67,000 households across Britain will be affected by capping benefits at £26,000 a year, losing on average £83 a week. The cap would be £500 a week – the equivalent to a salary of £35,000 earned by working households before tax.

Almost two-thirds of those affected will be in London and the South East, where rents are higher, and fewer than 3% of the households are in Wales, or just under 2,000.

While every council area in Wales has affected families, none has more than 200, and most have fewer than 100.

There are around 7,000 children living in the affected households in Wales, and 3,000 adults.

Plaid Cymru peer Lord Wigley warned the cap will have a damaging impact on the lives of already vulnerable people, as he voted against the measure.

He argued that the cap would force benefit claimants to move to areas of lower rent, where there are already problems of housing shortage and unemployment.

“The Government’s policy is, by use of the cap, to force up to 67,000 families and 200,000 children on benefits to move from south east England to places in Wales and north east England where rents are lower,” he said.

It would transplant vulnerable people to areas where they had no chance of finding work.

Lord Wigley added: “It is also outrageous that workers who have suffered injuries or disease as a result of their work – such as slate quarrymen – and have been awarded benefit as compensation, should lose that benefit if other factors – such as rent levels – are outside their control.”

Stephen Doughty of Oxfam Cymru said that another crucial issue was how the future benefits will be paid to couples.

The charity wants benefits to children to go to the main carer – usually the mother – rather than roll them into a single joint payment for one person in the household.

Victoria Winckler, director of the Bevan Foundation, part of Cuts Watch Cymru, said the cap related only to 1% of all benefit claimants, but would disproportionately harm children.

Prime Minister David Cameron said the £35,000 equivalent wage was a “good healthy salary”.

He added: “It’s a basic issue of fairness. Should people really be able to earn more than £26,000 just through benefits alone?”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/01/24/benefits-cap-will-hit-10-000-in-wales-55578-30185837/

I find the idea that anyone would be receiving even £500 a week in benefits astonishing, when most people I know in Llandudno don't earn anywhere near that for working full time. Why should these people enjoy a better lifestyle than the taxpayers whose hard work funds their benefits?

Offline martin

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2012, 11:38:39 am »
Quote from Dave "I find the idea that anyone would be receiving even £500 a week in benefits astonishing, when most people I know in Llandudno don't earn anywhere near that for working full time. Why should these people enjoy a better lifestyle than the taxpayers whose hard work funds their benefits?"  I could not agree more, it's an odd road that has led us to this appalling state of affairs, what a mess we are in as a country. &shake&

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »
They should try living on less than 9k old age pension.  26k would be magnificent :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:24 pm »
I don't think that a single person is on £500 per week.
I think a whole series of things have to conspire against you to get that.... (e.g. 4 kids, a disabled family member, or a combination of factors)

I agree that £9 is totally insufficient as a pension... and no matter how much I have stashed in private pensions, I fully expect them to be worth b****r all when I retire.

Pension schemes, the biggest con in the last 50 years.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
I think a whole series of things have to conspire against you to get that.... (e.g. 4 kids
Having 4 kids is a choice, surely? Their choice to have 4 kids, so their responsibility to pay for them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:54 pm »
They may have been able to pay for them when they had them... but a father leaving (to get a new bird or a quiet life!!), or losing a well paid job can turn life upside down.

I think someone needs to get down of their high horse.   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »
..or maybe the parents have never worked in their life?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »
In all my working life I have never achieved the so called ' Average Wage ' in fact no where near it, yet still managed to provide for my family and never claimed any Benefits. I even sold my house to provide for my retirement. The thought that someone can be paid £26,000 / Yr. for doing sod all appals me.   $angry$  $angry$  $angry$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »
..or maybe the parents have never worked in their life?

Whatever the circumstances they should not be in a position where the family are better off on benefits than working for a living, whether that is in London or anywhere else. As for any absent fathers then the CSA should ensure that he is paying for his offspring not the taxpayer.
It's just a joke and I'm surprised that anyone can speak out against capping benefits.  You can get the Bishops in the House of Lords arguing against it but how do they respond to one of their own Clergy who spoke out yesterday and said that he has to manage on his £22K per annum salary!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: January 24, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »
Fester is always keen on bashing the Bishops, so I'm surprised he's not more in favour of this proposed cap...  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
 L0L L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:16 pm »
Fester is always keen on bashing the Bishops, so I'm surprised he's not more in favour of this proposed cap...  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:     Dave, I dare say you have been preparing that joke for a long, long time... and finally your chance came!   :laugh:
Fester...