Author Topic: 2012 / 2014 Olympic and Winter Olympic matters  (Read 33963 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
2012 / 2014 Olympic and Winter Olympic matters
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:24:43 am »
I keep watching incredulously as the Olympic security debacle unfolds.

The Olympics is meant to be a showpiece for the nation, but we are in danger of being 'shown up' instead.

To me, it is entirely symptomatic of the appalling mismanagement we see day-in, day-out in this country.
recently we have witnessed Barclays, Nat West and other major institutions in melt down mode.
When Ratner's jewellers shot themselves in the foot as badly as G4S have just done, they paid the price by their shares falling to ZERO, and going out of business completely.
G4S have entirely screwed up, but G4S shares have only fallen 20% in value thus far.
Maybe the government has a stake in them??

I was amazed to see an interview with the CEO of G4S on 27th June, in which he said that his company had ''over achieved'' in their quest to have 15,500 trained staff for the games, as they already had 18,000 full trained, and others nearing it.

Yet, only 4 days later, he admitted that G4S had only 5,800 staff ready, and could only reach 6,400 by the opening of the games.
Its crass incompetence, bordering on the criminal.... and has obviously not been monitored by the Olympic organisers.
But, to be fair, they only had SEVEN YEARS to get these plans delivered!!

Its a major embarrassment, but I for one, was not surprised in the least.    &shake& &shake& &shake&
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:05:07 am by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
2012 Olympic matters
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
A large number of those people involved and were due to take up the Olympic security roles were vetted, would have got their CRB checks and training over 6 months ago and asked to sit around with these new qualifications and wait for 3 weeks work in July and August. I wonder how many other security firms will have actually increased their staff numbers in the last six months and benefited from that vetting and training. I think it's likely that enough people were trained it's just possible that not enough people are still in a position to take up the roles they were trained for because they now have other jobs.

Offline Yorkie

Re: 2012 Olympic matters
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:40 am »
Me thinks that we need a "Special"  OLYMPIC thread as we could possibly fill it ten times over!   How about it Admin?    $walesflag$

Can we also have an Olympic Flag smiley or might we be sued by the Olympic organisation for infringement of their silly rules and regulations?    :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:53:56 am »
The Olympic rings are a no go-- if we have a flag.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:09 am »
I guess we could use the Olympic Rings but not joined together could be deemed alright and certainly more appropriate in current times.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: National pride
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
I think the whole thing is a total waste of money, an utter farce, what with the ticket sales fiasco and no matter what goes wrong Lord Coe comes on the telly saying it's all ok  _))*. He should work for G4S! Looks like they will have to fill the football stadiums with a cardboard cutout crowd!  :laugh:
I would laugh at it but we'll all be paying for it!  :rage:

Should be under Olympics thread!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:19:44 pm »
I thought there was a certain irony during the Select Committee hearing when a politician asked the G4S man "Is that a Yes or a No?"

When was the last time you heard a politician answer Yes or No to a question?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:56:06 pm »

My reply earlier which somehow ended up under the National Pride thread?

I think the whole thing is a total waste of money, an utter farce, what with the ticket sales fiasco and no matter what goes wrong Lord Coe comes on the telly saying it's all ok  _))* He should work for G4S! Looks like they will have to fill the football stadiums with a cardboard cutout crowd!   :laugh:
I would laugh at it but we'll all be paying for it!  :rage:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:34:13 pm »
I'm desperately trying to find a holiday so that I miss the whole dang show!   :rage:
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »
3 weeks in Llandudno should do it!  $walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:33:31 am »
Another aspect to this fiasco is the ticketing availability.

What I'm getting at is, it was made VERY clear many months ago that tickets for all major events were completely over suribed, and impossible to obtain.
There was an outcry, remember?  When people realised that this 'once in a lifetime event' was likely to bypass the common man, and be the plaything of the corporate entertainment brigade and foreign dignitaries.  The rest of us could watch it on the telly.

Well, being resigned to this, I obviously planned my summer accordingly, (work mainly) and told Mrs Fester that we could not see the Olympics in the flesh, so to speak.

But now, I hear there are a further 200,000 tickets going sale... at incredibly short notice, including for the Opening Ceremony??   What the hell is going on?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:19:57 am »
What the hell is going on?

The whole fiasco is being run by a load of Dunderheads & Co(e) Unlimited useless nincompoops!    WWW
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:58:32 am »
 _))*

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »
I am sick to death of hearing about the Olympics,  I have been left with no interest whatsoever.  I am tired of hearing how this event is going to bring in revenue for the country.  It's absolute b*llocks as far as I'm concerned.  Since we won the votes for the Olympics countless millions of tax payers money including my own have been ploughed into this utter farce.  Hospitals, schools, libraries, Police, the elderly, our children's playgrounds and just about all other public services and amenities have been affected.  They can blame the shortfall on whatever they like but to me it's obvious, we couldn't and still can't as a country afford this glorified world sports day.  I tell you what if this event is going to amass millions of pounds in revenue for our nation then I suppose after the Olympics all the above services will be reinstated will they?  Well I can say with absolute conviction that NO they won't be.  I can also say that this is just another way of ensuring our money is channelled solely into the coffers of  greedy business owners and individuals.   
Ordinary people are being evicted from their homes so greedy landlords can cash in on visitors and so and quite rightly due to greed again people would rather stay in France...Mcdonalds and Coca effing Cola have monopolised on advertising so no other local businesses to London can cash in,  Makes me sick it really does!!!   >?>??
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:05 pm »
I agree completely! Greece is still paying for it! I never saw the logic in each country paying a fortune building running tracks etc every 4 years? I think it shoud have stayed in Greece where it started, they have a purpose built set up, the money coming in would help them and the Euro too! As a bonus we would not have to have spent a penny on it, saving us millions and G4S would not look such a bunch of d1ckheads  :D

I also hope that my programmes on the telly will not get cancelled as a result, it was bad enough with Eurobore ball kicking a few weeks ago! :rage: