Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 227358 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #720 on: January 21, 2023, 02:32:03 pm »
The late Ted Owen who was with the UDC's water department once told me that the Fach was still connected to the mains until the end of WW2 - as a standby - in case of bomb attacks and resulting fires.  One problem with the Fach was its outflow's relative height to storage tanks in properties hence the dependency on the pressure in the trunk mains from Rowen.  The Llwynonn and Summit reservoirs were supplied by pumping up starting at Black Gate and were only used to gravity supply two zones on the Orme itself. 

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme Goats
« Reply #721 on: February 03, 2023, 10:52:15 am »
Eyeing up our garden through the gates last night......... little smelly destructive rascals, bless them !

Llandudno's famous goats are back in town and making their presence known
The mischievous mob has returned to the streets of the town

Warmer temperatures in Llandudno have seen some of the region's most famous residents return to the town this week. Llandudno's mountain goats became a symbol of the town during the pandemic, when the curious creatures took advantage of the newly deserted streets.

The herd ventured from their home on the Great Orme to explore the deserted Llandudno streets during the first lockdown and since then have freely roamed the town. As we emerge from winter, they have once again descended on the town - but their presence isn't always welcomed.

The hedge-munching, traffic-stopping crew have been known to cause traffic jams and damage property in the popular coastal town. Despite the disruption, many have shared their delight at seeing the goats return.

Here are some of the most recent sightings of the wild Kashmiri goats in Llandudno. Take a look at the mischievous crew below.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/llandudnos-famous-goats-back-town-26141592

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #722 on: February 03, 2023, 06:58:11 pm »
Love your description Steve. Smelly? You can smell them 1/2 a mile off !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Helig

« Reply #723 on: February 04, 2023, 10:08:41 am »
Back in the days we used to walk along to the gun site, the goats would often be chomping on the bushes there. They seemed to be quite tame and didn't run off when we got close to them. They are adorable and their smell is just part of their charms. Anyone who has eaten goat's cheese will be familiar with the odour which is very similar to that of the goats.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #724 on: February 04, 2023, 10:58:44 am »
Unfortunately as cute as they are, Helig, especially if you are seeing them on a trip up the Orme, if they get into your garden overnight and stay, they will destroy it and contaminate the area for some time, great from a distance but quite a few of us have had to clear the mess and it is not a pleasant task.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #725 on: February 04, 2023, 12:17:23 pm »
Capra Burger?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme goats
« Reply #726 on: February 09, 2023, 03:36:45 pm »
West Shore and the Orme busy with the Goats and the next generation of garden munchers, quite a few kids spotted today, along with a small herd of sheep, which have taken up residence in the Convent, they stick to the grass mostly

Toys for the kids....

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme...Photos historic Great Orme cottage
« Reply #727 on: February 12, 2023, 10:03:46 am »
An historic cottage overlooking a Blue Flag beach on the Great Orme is on sale. Morannedd, formerly known as Glan Y Don, on Abbey Place in Llandudno is a stone's throw away from West Shore.

The stone cottage is a detached property with four bedrooms and two bathrooms. It has been extended over the years and comprises three reception rooms on the ground floor as well as a kitchen/breakfast room and two attic rooms.

Inside it has whitewashed stone walls and exposed beams, though some areas would benefit from an update. The large wild garden to the rear backs onto the slopes of the Great Orme and the front garden enjoys views of the coastline and Conwy estuary.

cont ... photos... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/historic-great-orme-cottage-overlooking-26204778

Offline Helig

« Reply #728 on: February 13, 2023, 02:17:09 pm »
I love the goat toys, are you able to buy them anywhere?

Isn't the house in Abbey Place, the former mine manager's house? I think it dats to the 18th century (or thereabouts).

Offline SteveH

« Reply #729 on: February 13, 2023, 03:27:03 pm »
I love the goat toys, are you able to buy them anywhere

Helig,

This link to St. Davids Hospice web page for their goat products, soft toys and T shirts etc, this is from awhile back, so hopefully still available     https://stdavidshospice.org.uk/product/great-orme-mostyn-goat-soft-toy/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #730 on: February 13, 2023, 07:40:14 pm »
I think that it must have been the Manager's house as the workers lived in the nearby terraced cottages.     The cottages were built in the late 1700's I believe and my mother lived in the end terraced house on the right of the photo until the terrace demolished in 1936

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #731 on: February 14, 2023, 08:42:09 am »
Hi Hugo. Wonder who that is stood outside the cottage,  I was talking to some visitors looking at the cottage yesterday I told them about the min y don cottages. And how much that last cottage was for sale.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #732 on: February 14, 2023, 10:41:47 am »
My mother always said that it was our cousin Ivy in the photo and that she was about 8 when the photo was taken.
Ivy was the daughter of Uncle Hugh and Ivy went on to marry Al James and they lived in Deganwy

Offline Helig

« Reply #733 on: February 14, 2023, 10:48:54 am »
Thank you for posting the details on the goat toys. They are out of stock unfortunately but I will keep looking at that site to see if that changes.

The goats are a great asset to Llandudno in my opinion. They put the town on the map during the lockdown and must have attracted visitors to the town subsequently. They descend from some of the oldest residents in the town who lived there at least 100 years ago. They are due some respect!

I am sure I read that was the mine manager's house in Abbey Place. I cannot recall which book I read it in. It is a lot older than it looks these days.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #734 on: February 16, 2023, 10:35:45 am »
UPDATE ON GREAT ORME CATTLE GRID AND FENCING REPLACEMENT

Work is continuing to relocate the cattle grid near the halfway tram station on the Great Orme, with the new cattle grid now in place.  This is part of a project to make the Great Orme country park more stock proof, reducing the frequency of both the sheep and the goats straying into the town.  The project, which includes changes to the fencing around the tram station and along Ty Gwyn Road as far as Black Gate crossing, should be completed later this month.   ref Gogarth news letter