Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 225345 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme.......Llandudno Ski Centre
« Reply #705 on: March 22, 2022, 09:58:39 am »
Snowsport Wales, North Wales Snowsports Club and John Nike Leisure have collaborated to offer discounted snow sports taster session at Llandudno Ski Centre, in an effort to increase participation rates and accessibility.    ref pioneer

For those aged eight and above, one-hour snowboarding, skiing and tubing taster sessions will be available from 10am on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 March, offering information on equipment, how to get around with just one leg strapped in as well as the basics of stopping and controlling yourself on the hill in a side slip.

Sessions will start at 10am and 12:30pm on both days, with participants told to bring gloves and wear warmer clothing covering arms and legs.

Places are limited and availability is on a first come first served basis.

To book your place at a snowboarding or skiing session, click here.. https://widget.eola.co/1018/914baa81-126b-431f-b366-18b9d97549f6

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2022, 02:09:01 pm »
CONWY County Borough Council (CCBC) intends on conducting a “round-up” of the group of Great Orme goats in Craig-y-Don.

Following a number of constituents raising concerns regarding the continued presence of the goats within Llandudno and Craig-y-Don, the MS for Aberconwy, Janet Finch-Saunders, raised this matter with the council. (probably after visiting her garden ?)

Having now received a response, she is pleased to report that CCBC plan on taking action.

“While the Great Orme goats are a valued asset to Llandudno and our community, we must recognise that their continued visits to urban areas of our town raises serious concerns, especially in relation to potential road safety and damage to residents’ property.

“Given this, I am thrilled to see that CCBC will be taking positive action to address this situation and will seek to re-home some of these animals in effort to deter the group from venturing from the Great Orme once again.

“Although I am aware that this may only be a "temporary solution",  :-}}}   I would assure constituents that I remain committed to liaising with the relevant organisations to also try and identify and deliver a long-term plan.”

Fears for their safety were raised last year after a “baby boom” of the goats, with a total of 25 nannies and five billies relocated to either Bristol or Bournemouth.

A round-up was also considered by CCBC last October after one of the goats had to be put down after being hit by a car. pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #707 on: April 29, 2022, 01:36:38 pm »
It's stories like this that tell the true story of those who are affected, and not just "LOOK AT THE CUTE GOATS"

FEARS remain regarding the presence of Great Orme goats in Craig-y-Don in spite of a round-up of a number of the animals earlier this week.

Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) was involved in collecting a group of the goats from private grounds in Craig-y-Don and moving them to Great Orme, while another 15 have moved to Bournemouth.

This means there are now roughly 150 goats in Llandudno, with roughly eight or nine believed to still be in the Craig-y-Don area.

Phyllis Oliver, a resident of Alice Gardens, on the Liddell Park estate in Craig-y-Don, has said more must be done to allay fears shared by her and her neighbours.

Mrs Oliver said that problems with the goats have included destruction of gardens and faeces being left on the pavements and roads.
She said: “Last year, goats started to appear, and they started ripping the bark off my Laurel bushes.

“(My garden has) a rose that was given to me, and plants that friends had grown for me, and things neighbours had donated to me before they passed away – we’re not prepared to give this up to goats.

“I’ve seen ladies crying because they’ve taken the rose gardens that their late husbands had planted for them. The council say they’ll grow back, but they don’t. The goats rip into them, so you get disease into the ends of your plants.

“On the whole of the estate, every well-tended hedge has been ripped to shreds. Every nicely-sculpted shrub has got holes in it.

“If these feral goats don’t eat what you’re growing, they will urinate all over it, and it’s acidic, which burns the leaves and bark. It breaks my heart.”

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20103792.great-orme-goats-worries-continue-craig-y-don-despite-round-up/

Offline Robert2020

« Reply #708 on: April 29, 2022, 06:30:07 pm »
Same issue at the top end of Great Ormes Rd by the model railway, front garden destroyed overnight and several scratches to side of car in drive from the goats  horns which will not polish out.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2022, 09:48:55 am »
I think the shine is slowly coming off the goats, they are a great local attraction, but their unhygienic and destructive habits, which are spreading further than their usual Westshore area, are now unwelcome, and better management of the situation is necessary, for both the goats and the residents affected. 

On the Weatherman Walking programme  last night, his co presenter ask a local how do I find the Snowdonia feral goats, she was told to "follow her nose", and I was surprised to hear the locals there, have the same complaints as mentioned in the above posts.

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme Goats
« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2022, 01:23:23 pm »
THE man who has taken responsibility for the 15 Great Orme goats recently moved to Bournemouth has reassured Llandudno residents they are in safe hands with him............
Bournemouth East Cliff Goats  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063523144286

Mark Jackson is looking after the Kashmir goats after Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) was involved in collecting the group and rehoming them to the south coast.

Mark says he cares for about “45 to 50 goats” and said the recent arrivals will be in “goat heaven”, with plenty of space to roam in large enclosures on the west and east cliffs of Bournemouth.

He was keen to allay fears among some residents after receiving online abuse following his sharing of pictures of the Great Orme goats in Bournemouth on his Facebook page, Bournemouth East Cliff Goats.

Mark said: “I've had that they've been stolen, I've been told never to come back to Wales; I've had a fair bit of insults - more from this than when I actually lived in Wales, when I was at university.

“Several of them have spoken to me and have realised that, hopefully, I'm not a bad man, and written some positive things.

full extensive article   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20119401.bournemouth-man-caring-great-orme-goats-promises-herd-will-goat-heaven/

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme Goats
« Reply #711 on: June 23, 2022, 10:11:15 am »
Llandudno goat put down after being injured in alleged dog attack
North Wales Police are currently investigating the incident

A Llandudno goat has been put down following an alleged dog attack in on Monday. The goat, thought to be 10-years-old, and had no teeth, was euthanized to prevent any further suffering and stress during any potential treatment.

One thing stands out in this article, although a sad story, the condition of the injured goat shows that they are not being managed correctly, any animal without teeth will starve, no animal should be allowed to suffer in this way

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-goat-put-down-after-24294844?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme copper mine
« Reply #712 on: September 12, 2022, 10:17:57 am »
The hidden historic attraction where children once mined attracts visitors from across world
The Great Orme Copper Mines is bouncing back after Covid lockdown

Visitor numbers at the Great Orme copper mines have bounced back as the Llandudno attraction enjoys its first full season since the Covid lockdown. Up to 400 people a day have donned their hard hats and entered fascinating tunnels dating back to the Bronze Age.

It bodes well for the future as the landmark site goes from strength to strength. Angela Williams, Visitor Experience Officer, said hundreds of people had been visiting the Great Orme Copper Mines every day over the summer.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hidden-historic-attraction-children-once-24944986?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2022, 02:00:03 pm »
A Proclamation Guard made up of 26 members of the 3rd Battalion the Royal Welsh and the Band of the Royal Welsh marched from City Hall to Cardiff Castle ahead of the start of the ceremony.  ref BBC

New army goat mascot finally unveiled after soldiers spent a month trying to catch it
Introducing Shenkin IV

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/new-army-goat-mascot-finally-14379489

Royal Welsh mascot, Shenkin the goat, took part in the parade.

Offline SteveH

Re: Great Orme Tramway offering half-price tickets
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2022, 11:21:36 am »
THE Great Orme Tramway will dish out half-price tickets as part of its community weekend event.

Residents of Conwy County will have the opportunity to ride the tramway for half price when visiting the attraction on October 29 and 30.

The Great Orme Tramway is marking its 120th anniversary this year.

Britain's only cable-hauled tramway opened in 1902. The Tramway carries approximately 200,000 passengers to the summit of the Great Orme every year, which stands at 679 feet.

We hope that people will take this opportunity to visit this unique attraction in our own back yard.

"We are looking forward to welcoming local residents, and offering the community an experience where they can sit back and enjoy the scenery.?

Return tickets for the weekend?s promotion will be 4.25 for adults and 3 for children aged 3 to 16. Children under three travel free.

Residents should bring proof of their address in Conwy County to be eligible for the offer.

The Tramway is open from 10am until 5pm, with the last return tram departing at 4.20pm.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #715 on: November 28, 2022, 02:36:44 pm »
CONWY County Borough Council (CCBC) has quashed claims by residents that more of the Kashmir goats in Llandudno have been rehomed to Bournemouth.    :(

FB Group expressed concern during the weekend that up to 100 of the goats had now been moved to the south coast.

A council spokesperson said confusion may have arisen following news that a herd of 50 goats along the cliff of Bournemouth are set to double in size due to a breeding programme.

When contacted by the Pioneer, though, CCBC confirmed that this is not true, and that the 15 goats moved to Bournemouth in April remain the most recent such case.

Volunteer grazier, Mark Jackson, who assumed responsibility for the 15 Great Orme goats moved to Bournemouth in April, also said this was not the case.

He added: ?They (Great Orme goats moved to Bournemouth in May) are doing extremely well. Everybody down here likes them.

?We keep putting regular photos of them on our Facebook page (Bournemouth Goats), and have done a calendar this year to raise some funds to pay towards the upkeep of them.?

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23153958.llandudno-goats-not-moved-bournemouth-council-says/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #716 on: January 04, 2023, 10:27:08 am »
The new entrance into the Orme summit playground was funded by Llandudno Town Council after being promoted and agreed by four Gogarth Ward Members: cllr Louise Emery, cllr Harry Saville - Councillor for Gogarth Mostyn, Llandudno, Cllr Greg Robbins, Cllr Loren Saville).

Posting on Facebook, cllr Emery said: "Following the excellent investment into the West Shore playground over the last few years we felt that the Great Orme Summit playground needed some TLC [tender loving care].

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23225109.new-entrance-llandudno-great-orme-summit-play-area/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme Goats.....New book
« Reply #717 on: January 10, 2023, 10:44:31 am »
AN author has released a book of illustrations about a family of goats who go to explore Llandudno town.

John Arnold, who has written a number of short stories, has released Flora and Fauna Part 1, which follows a family of goats as they explore Llandudno, with illustrations based on photographs taken by friend Peter Funge.

It is the first in a series of books about the Great Orme Kashmiri goats, who are often spotted walking the streets of the town and helping themselves to shrubs and garden plants.

Peter said of the book: ?It?s a great read about the adventures of the world famous goats here in Llandudno and the illustrations are from photos I took.

?I have known John for many years and he has always written short stories - this is the first book he has had published and I hope you enjoy reading.?

Flora and Fauna Part 1 is available at Waterstones, Amazon or from Austin Macauley Publishers.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23237819.great-orme-goats-illustration-book-launches/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme...Llandudno's forgotten 'sunken palace'
« Reply #718 on: January 21, 2023, 10:20:45 am »
Llandudno's forgotten 'sunken palace' that hides beneath Great Orme
Failed attempts have been made to find a new use for one of the town's most unusual facilities

In its own small way, Llandudno has an underground facility that recalls Istanbul?s great Basilica Cistern, known there as the Sunken Palace. Both reservoirs have towering columns and brick-built arched roofs, and both are things of wonder.

Like the Basilica, Llandudno?s Fach reservoir came to the rescue of a growing population starved of drinking water. Both facilities are steeped in history, the Fach having a link to St Tudno, the sixth century patron saint of Llandudno who lived as a hermit and survived on spring water.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudnos-forgotten-sunken-palace-hides-26020505

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #719 on: January 21, 2023, 02:06:11 pm »
A fantastic piece of Victorian brickwork.   That reservoir and other incredible things can be found on the Great Orme's Exploration Society's website
https://www.goes.org.uk/