Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 227191 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #690 on: February 08, 2022, 09:58:43 am »
I remember seeing this film on FB, I was not sure that it was on the Orme ? but a great rescue all the same.

A RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) rescuer showed incredible strength by saving a sheep one-handed during a dramatic cliff rescue mission on the Great Orme.

On January 21, animal rescue officer Dean Wilkins had abseiled 30 metres down a cliff in North Wales to reach the ewe who was trapped on a narrow ledge, just inches wide.

film  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19905869.watch-dramatic-footage-captures-rspca-rescue-sheep-great-orme/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #691 on: February 20, 2022, 10:06:17 am »
A burger van with a difference wants permission to trade at a North Wales beauty spot.

Dan and Ceri Jones are tenants on the National Trust owned Parc Farm on the Great Orme (Y Gogarth).

The couple have a mobile catering van that doesn't sell your average burger - with the patties made from the finest lamb bred on their farm.

Now they want permission to use Cae Summit to trade with the 'Shepherd's Hut' style van - which they used on a trial basis last year under permitted development rights.

Dan said: "We are excited about this new venture at Parc Farm, and hope that Conwy Planning Authorities are satisfied that Caffi Cynefin will offer something different to both visitors and locals.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/burger-van-difference-planned-north-23136870?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #692 on: March 06, 2022, 10:22:33 am »
Huge boulder slid down Great Orme onto road forcing its closure
A section of Marine Drive around the promontory has been closed while engineers decide what to do

Dramatic pictures show how users of a coastal road may have had a lucky escape when a huge boulder slid down from the Great Orme.

Weighing several tonnes, the boulder came to rest on the edge of Marine Drive, Llandudno.

Engineers are due to inspect the landslip on the North Shore side of a route regarded as one of the most scenic in North Wales.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/huge-boulder-slid-down-great-23299638?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #693 on: March 06, 2022, 11:45:50 am »
The road might be closed as unsafe but that does not stop the idiot cyclists ignoring the signs.

Same as Traffic lights , pavements ----------- add your experience of how they behave .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #694 on: March 07, 2022, 10:35:12 am »
I don't know what the cyclists are like up there in Scotland Mull but on some of the walking/cycling tracks I've been on the majority of the cyclists that I've come across are a menace,
They come up very fast and quietly behind you and give no warning and most of the bikes don't have bells anyway.      If they are coming towards you they seem to think that they somehow have the right of way and just wizz past

Offline mull

« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2022, 10:56:06 am »
Nearly all the roads on the island are single track.

Cyclists seem to think they have a right to ignore passing places both when you are behind them but more annoying as you are approaching them. If you are between passing places what are you as a driver supposed to do ? It is not possible for you to give them 1.5 m passing room.

Should the cyclist stop and dismount or the vehicle stop to allow them to ride past. The question has been asked but we still await an answer.

What is  worse they do not realise that the car approaching them could be a Doctor, Nurse ,Firefighter, Lifeboatman, Ambulanceman or Mountain Rescue ,responding to an emergency call out. We don't all have flashing blue lights .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #696 on: March 07, 2022, 01:47:52 pm »
Should the cyclist stop and dismount or the vehicle stop to allow them to ride past. The question has been asked but we still await an answer.

I don't know the answer to that Mull but I do know that if any of the cyclists hit me or my walking mates then our walking poles will go somewhere where the Sun don't shine

Offline DVT

« Reply #697 on: March 07, 2022, 02:00:27 pm »
The recent change to the Highway Code certainly don't help ... the lycra louts now making full use of them legally, whereas before they were allegedly committing an offence ... this relates to being in correct lane and give way junctions..

Offline Dave

« Reply #698 on: March 07, 2022, 02:13:16 pm »
Many cyclists travel the opposite way around the Orme against the one way system. I'll have no sympathy when one gets taken out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2022, 08:05:45 am »
Dog who had leg amputated after being hit by bicycle sparks debate over 'arrogant' cyclists
Buddy the Springer Spaniel lost a leg after being struck by a cyclist in Gwynedd - and his owner is now demanding a clampdown

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dog-who-leg-amputated-after-23340730

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #700 on: March 10, 2022, 08:57:41 am »
Some of the high speed cyclists do display a worryingly defensive arrogance which, to them, anyway, brooks no argument.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

Re: The Great Orme.........120-year anniversary
« Reply #701 on: March 11, 2022, 10:05:43 am »
THE ICONIC Great Orme Tramway celebrates its 120-year anniversary this year.

The idea for a Tramway was first put in motion following the passing of The Great Orme Tramways Act, which set out fares, its length and its purpose – to transport passengers, goods and parcels up and down the Great Orme.

cont and more photos   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19983187.nostalgia-great-orme-tramway-celebrates-120-years/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #702 on: March 11, 2022, 10:52:50 am »
Anyone remember this?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #703 on: March 11, 2022, 11:09:55 am »
Indeed. September, 2009. It was allegedly down to someone having moved the points control. But I have my doubts about that. The system there relies on the weight of one tram to move the points rail and, from when I was a kid and up and down the Orme throughout the holidays, it never seemed easy to move manually.

We used to sit and watch the trams as they bore down and changed the points themselves.

I've found the report:  "The immediate cause of the collision was the lower points moving under the uphill tram directing the rear of the tram into the path of the downhill tram.

The causal factors were: the wheel forces overcoming the tumbler’s holding force and changing the position of the points; the effectiveness of the holding force on the points had reduced due to wear and degradation of the points and the tumbler; that the points at the upper loop did not have a facing point lock; and the Great Orme Tramway did not routinely measure the condition of the points and the tumbler mechanism because they did not have procedures for such measurements and for associated remedial actions."

I seem to remember this resulted in a complete overhaul of the system, with the lower section being completely re-built.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #704 on: March 12, 2022, 10:29:45 am »
Ref.  John Lawson-Reay: The importance of ‘Ffynnon’

From the earliest days water was a problem for Llandudno - surrounded by it, but not fit to drink! In Welsh ‘Ffynnon’ can mean spring or well. On or near the Great Orme there are nine officially identified springs and, nearest the town, three wells.

Three of the springs became very important. In the days before the town was built, the copper mines in the Great Orme had flooding problems. But an ingenious contraption of push and pull rods powered by water from the Ffynnon Gogarth spring was constructed to power the mine pumping engine. Flooding was eventually cured by tunnelling a drainage channel into the Great Orme from the West Shore. This took seven years to build.

Then there was Ffynnon St Tudno very near the church. Water from this spring was channelled into a substantial reservoir, now overgrown, which was then piped down to a large underground reservoir in what is now known as Happy Valley. This supplied the needs of the developing town.

cont  https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/john-lawson-reay-the-importance-of-ffynnon/