Author Topic: The Great Orme  (Read 227238 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The Great Orme Tramway
« Reply #630 on: August 26, 2020, 06:18:41 pm »
LLANDUDNO’s Great Orme Tramway will not open to visitors this year.               ref  Pioneer

Posting on Facebook, a spokesperson said: “We know this is disappointing for everyone who loves the tramway and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

“We are working on improving facilities and adding events to make 2021 better than ever."

The Great Orme Tramway is Britain’s only funicular, or cable-hauled, tramway that travels on public roads.

Opening in 1902, the Tramway climbs a mile through the Great Orme Country Park and Nature Reserve to the Great Orme’s spectacular summit.
Ahead of next year, operators plan to implement a new booking system.

The spokesperson added: "Given the unique nature of the tramway, and the changing guidance on Covid-19, it will need some development as we want it to be as comprehensive and flexible as possible."

Changes also need to be made to the layout at the station to allow for distanced queuing.

"The tramway takes a significant amount of time to commission ready for safe service, which has also been a factor in not being able to open this year," the spokesperson said.

"We are going to use the time we are closed to improve all systems so that next season will be safe and enjoyable for all."

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: The Great Orme Tramway
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2020, 01:43:09 am »
LLANDUDNO’s Great Orme Tramway will not open to visitors this year.               ref  Pioneer

Posting on Facebook, a spokesperson said: “We know this is disappointing for everyone who loves the tramway and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

“We are working on improving facilities and adding events to make 2021 better than ever."

The Great Orme Tramway is Britain’s only funicular, or cable-hauled, tramway that travels on public roads.

Opening in 1902, the Tramway climbs a mile through the Great Orme Country Park and Nature Reserve to the Great Orme’s spectacular summit.
Ahead of next year, operators plan to implement a new booking system.

The spokesperson added: "Given the unique nature of the tramway, and the changing guidance on Covid-19, it will need some development as we want it to be as comprehensive and flexible as possible."

Changes also need to be made to the layout at the station to allow for distanced queuing.

"The tramway takes a significant amount of time to commission ready for safe service, which has also been a factor in not being able to open this year," the spokesperson said.

"We are going to use the time we are closed to improve all systems so that next season will be safe and enjoyable for all."

A pathetic decision by CCBC.
The cable cars have been running for ages, as have buses, trains etc.
The Tramway is no different, and given that it is an open air mode of transport, it was easier in many respects to get it operational.
Typical council run venture... they just couldn’t manage it.
But.... they will whack the council tax up again next year, when they realise that the revenue shortfall actually MEANS something!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: The Great Orme
« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:31 am »
Did they do the safety checks / runs before lockdown I'm sure they did 🤔, if they did surely 1/2 days off safety runs they would have been good to run, with the tram it couldn't be easier to distance Queue to get on the top step and off the bottom step, lost a lot of revenue there, mind you says it all of this council.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2020, 09:07:29 am »
Did they do the safety checks / runs before lockdown I'm sure they did 🤔, if they did surely 1/2 days off safety runs they would have been good to run, with the tram it couldn't be easier to distance Queue to get on the top step and off the bottom step, lost a lot of revenue there, mind you says it all of this council.

I seem to remember the safety checks being done earlier in the year.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #634 on: August 27, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
It seemed odd to me, too. But then, the very busy season's almost over.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2020, 12:50:50 pm »
Wake up everyone, when are you going to accept Conwy County Council's avowed aim is to destroy Llandudno. The facts speak for themselves.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2020, 01:04:57 pm »
Blongb,     I try to be optimistic with things but feel that no one at CCBC listens to local people and it's so frustrating.    In the last 30 years the decision makers at CCBC have made catastrophic mistakes in their dealings with Llandudno and the Councillors of Llandudno that have not spoken out should be ashamed of themselves

I won't labour the point because we all know about them but there's the West Shore,  North Shore,   Pier Pavilion,  the Penmofa Hotel and the West Shore cycle track etc etc

The sea defence is beyond a joke and I really hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't put it past the planners to simply raise the sea wall by a few inches and do nothing about the sand problem that affects so much of the town

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2020, 01:17:17 pm »
A sensible idea would be for some signage near the pier, or perhaps near Hooson's corner stating the fact that the trams aren't in operation. There are many people wandering up there, to the station, only to find nothing happening.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #638 on: August 27, 2020, 04:37:22 pm »
This debate reminds me the number 26 bus used to be a cheap hourly service for visitors to get to the Summit car park but since lockdown it has been running with a reduced service and at odd times.

I could never understand why it did not run on a Sunday during the summer but that is another issue.

Anyway, we recently drove up to the Summit for a walk around and whilst there I wandered over to the bus stop to look at the bus times upon display.

Incredibly, the timetable on display was for the number 25 bus which was the old number for the current number 26 service.

More significantly, the timetable was dated either 2013 or 2014 and did not include the Summit !!

Offline Blongb

« Reply #639 on: August 28, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »
The easiest way to get to the Summit is by regular taxi. It's 5/8ths of a mile on the clock from the Palladium, which works out very reasonably, How ever you do miss out on Fish Tram Chips that way

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #640 on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »
The number 26 bus is only £1.10.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #641 on: August 28, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
The number 26 bus is only £1.10.

When it runs Bri. At least the Taxi is 24/7 all year round.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #642 on: August 29, 2020, 09:56:52 am »
A furious cyclist sparked a mini Twitter storm after posting a video rant against the amount of litter at a North Wales beauty spot.

Simon Roxburgh, 46, filmed an expletive-ridden tirade while preparing for a marathon charity challenge on the Great Orme, Llandudno.

He urged Britain’s “lazy b******s to stop treating the countryside like it was “their own litter bin”.

Cont/Video   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/furious-cyclist-anti-litter-rant-18844201

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2020, 06:06:51 pm »
He'd have had a bigger rant if he had seen what I saw earlier this week. By the gate to St Tudno's there is a small car park, often used overnight by camper vans. As I stood by the gate, a pair of bare feet dropped down between the sea view and the camper, followed by a bare bottom which promptly did a huge puddle, then hopped back into the van!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #644 on: August 29, 2020, 06:17:13 pm »
I am sure the public conveniences are now open by St Tudno’s Church.