Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152590 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2021, 02:58:35 pm »
Hugo someone put a pic up of the horse in the garden, some youngster on its back. 😂

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2021, 03:25:58 pm »
Are you able to post the picture of the horse on here Norman?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2021, 10:33:31 am »
Where we lived: Old photos of North Wales from the archive     https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/lived-old-photos-north-wales-19834662

photo 1977

Offline shnugs

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2021, 10:38:56 am »
This was in The Daily post yesterday. That's Me with the Adidas Bag Heading for the Goose before going to work in the cafe at end of pier 13 years old. 
welsh and proud even though far away.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2021, 11:00:09 am »
This was in The Daily post yesterday. That's Me with the Adidas Bag Heading for the Goose before going to work in the cafe at end of pier 13 years old. 
Nice one     $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2021, 11:46:06 am »

Just as a matter of interest who was the manager in that cafe when you were working there?       My Mother worked there but it was probably before your time
I've attached a photo of the staff when my mother worked there but I don't know the date but would guess at the early 1960's

Offline shnugs

« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2021, 01:32:39 pm »
Hi Hugo, Yes before me I am afraid. The manager was based in the Pavilion office a small door on the right a tall well dressed man wish I could remember his name I think John something. I was working all over the pier from the mid 70s until leaving school. I always say that the manager letting me stand on that stage as a child (my mum worked there) was the reason I am a musician now and My Godfather Alex Munro must be in the blood . Anyway I enjoyed my time on the pier, loved the smell of the little bait shop, the donuts and starting the brews at the end for the fishing fraternity and busy times with the I:O.M ferry. Good times.
Stay safe .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2021, 02:57:46 pm »
Hi Shnugs,   my mother worked at two cafes on the pier.   The first one I think was called the Dolphin Cafe and it's entrance was by Happy Valley Road, then she went to work on the one at the end of the pier.
Denis  John Williams was the manager of both cafes and mum  liked working for him

His son also of the same name but called Denis kindly sent me this photo of his father who is the tall chap on the left of the photo holding what may be a Tope

Offline shnugs

« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »
Wow Yes that is him a little younger however yes, such a kind man his son should be proud. I worked in the Dolphin Bar too in the restaurant and went where I was told to work along the pier. He took me up to the walkway above the stage and looked down from such a height. The pier has a connection with lots I think, My father worked on the Trams, the Orme coach tours when they parked by the pier and mum worked as a cleaner along the pier. I used to work a lot of summer jobs around the town. there was a man Name Mr Quinn a local Arthur Daley who owned so many businesses in the town and the Esplanade hotel where my Gran worked as a cook. Thanks for the Photo Hugo.. I wish you well.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2021, 04:32:25 pm »
Thank you very much Shrugs, you're very welcome and all the best to you too.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2021, 06:33:51 pm »
shnugs,  At that time, the Esplanade would have been owned by Charlie Payne who also had several businesses in the area. The family firm was J E Payne (Caterers) Ltd and went into liquidation around 1975.  Fortunately for Charlie, the hotel seemed to be in his own name not the company's, and he was able to keep on running it until his death a few years ago. Another missed local character.

I remember Mr Quinn too.  He used to have a pitch outside the coffee centre by Marks and traded from the back of his car.  Everyone wondered how he was able to park there all day with impunity!

Offline shnugs

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2021, 04:32:01 pm »
Cambrian Thanks for that I remember the Paynes  don't know why i thought the esplanade though, ahh i know why my sister had her wedding reception there must be getting old,  Quinn Had a Guest house between the old doctors surgery on the corner by the cenotaph and the Carlton, he also had a Gift shop by bog island and a very dodgy mail order business. at one time he ran the little cafe upstairs above what i believe is now the town house. He was always polite and I worked in that little café too and gift shop my god that sold some crap but you know tourists, he had me gluing little rocks on big rocks from the beach and painting them to look like frogs. I believe he had a son but that's another story .
Anyway thanks for your time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2022, 09:39:00 am »
THIS week’s nostalgia feature looks at the history of the Llandudno Pier Pavilion, which may soon finally have new life breathed into it after lying dormant for more than a quarter of a century.

Work started on the pavilion in 1881, and it was expected to be open for business in the spring of 1884, only for a severe storm that January to badly damage the roof.

The building was eventually used on June 7 for a programme to raise funds for the Llandudno Sanatorium and Cottage Hospital, a public relations exercise, and in August 1884, it hosted comic actor J. L. Toole.

For the first 40 years, orchestra recitals and concerts were its main shows, though in 1936, the pavilion would feature the main variety shows and musicals.

Pavlion headliners from the ‘variety years’ included Anna Pavlova, Vera Lynn, Tommy Trinder, and The Spinners.

Various changes in ownership and ventures did not succeed, audiences were falling and the building had become run down by the time it closed in 1984.

In 1993, though, plans were drawn up to restore the building as a development including an element of theatre along with shops, restaurants and exhibition and conference space.

But the Grade II Listed building was the victim of an arson attack in February 1994, destroying it.

After more than 25 years of disuse, though, the site was bought in late 2021 by the Tir Prince Leisure Group, which called it “the jewel in the crown of North Wales tourism” and announced plans to develop it.              ref pioneer

gallery https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19897739.nostalgia-story-north-wales-pier-pavilion-may-soon-resurrected/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4#gallery2

Offline SteveH

« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2022, 10:04:46 am »
MEMORIES
Nostalgia: Celebrating 145 years of Llandudno Pier

LLANDUDNO Pier, stretching for 700 metres, is the longest in Wales, and among the most iconic sites in the region.

The Pier had its origins in a much shorter, wooden pier erected in 1858 as part of the planned St George’s Harbour.

The wooden pier was used mainly for export of limestone from quarries in the nearby Happy Valley.

After becoming severely damaged in the Royal Charter Storm of October 25, 1859, which caused the loss of 223 ships and 800 people in British coastal waters, the Pier could only be used by steam ships in high tide.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20084596.nostalgia-celebrating-145-years-llandudno-pier/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2022, 09:37:41 am »
Pier Head Pavilion, Llandudno   Written by John Lawson-Reay

The new Pier opened to public in  August 1877. A temporary bandstand was built at the Pier Head, although a Pavilion had always been planned for the site.

Tyler’s Band – seven bandsmen and women wearing a uniform of trousers, frock coats and pill box hats, was engaged to entertain the crowds. In that first 1877-78 season, over thirty thousand visitors listened to selections which were ‘happily chosen and artistically executed’ (North Wales Chronicle,  August 3 1878)....................

cont https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/john-lawson-reay-pier-head-pavilion-llandudno/