Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 156755 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2020, 12:47:16 pm »
I am posting as a new user in the hope that someone will recognise any of the people in this picture, taken on the pier with presumably the rest of the pier staff at that time. the gentleman in the front row second from right is possibly my wife’s grandfather John Owen who was the second mate of the pier. Or assistant pier master. He could be approx 40 in the picture meaning the picture was 1910-1920. Does anyone know who any of the other people could be or the date of the picture
Welcome, best of luck with your search.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2020, 05:24:10 pm »
I don't know if any of the local historians would know the identity of these people.

The only thing that occurred to me was whether you had found your wife's grandfather in the 1911 census? Do you know where he lived then? This would show his occupation at that time. It might be possible to do a search of the 1911 census to find people who worked on the pier. The 1921 census will be out soon and that is another possibility to help in solving this query.

Helig

Offline DVT

« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2020, 07:56:27 pm »
Out of curiosity I logged into Findmypast.com and searched the 1911 census for John Owen, guessed date of birth 1875 +/5 years, and entered Llandudno as a keyword.

Not as many John Owens as I expected and hit the jackpot with the second one!

Living at Glyn Cottage, Old Road, Llandudno.
John Owen, age 34, born 1877 Llandudno, occupation Second Mate on Llandudno Pier.
Ellen Owen, age 27, born 1884 Menai Bridge, his wife.
They had been married 6 years but no children at that time.
The house is shown as having three rooms.

Offline Ianc2003

« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2020, 11:36:35 am »
Thanks for the replies, I have the information from the genealogy sites. Was hoping someone may know other people working on the pier. Not sure how to search for that in the census.  I also understand that the 1921 census will not be available online until January 2022, which is disappointing.

Offline DVT

« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2020, 01:49:58 pm »
When I looked up the 1911 census it did show a scan of the original document in the Mr Owen's hand-writing.  Scrolling each way takes you to neighbouring houses. and I did look at a few.  Couldn't find any others that gave their employer as Llandudno Pier, but did find a man and his son who were employed by Llandudno Tramway.  Obviously to scroll through all the Llandudno files would take some time, but could be done.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2020, 04:42:20 pm »
DVT,  at the Conwy Archives they have Street Indexes that list the name and occupation of a person living at an address.  They are listed alphabetically but  only one person from the household is listed and that person is usually the breadwinner.
They have those records for the following years 1911,  1914,  1922, 1926, 1929 and 1939
Those people from the Pier are probably listed there  but it would be hard to put a name to a face, hopefully there are local people out there that may be able to help

Offline Helig

« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2020, 02:41:21 pm »
It may be worthwhile asking the North Wales Weekly News to publish that photo in the hope someone may recognise a person it it. Would there be any records in existence for the company, or concern, that ran the Pier in those days? They may contain information on employees.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2020, 10:20:05 am »
I have looked at some of the genealogy surrounding John Owen. When he married Ellen Owen in 1904 his occupation was shown as a Pierman. This has his father as John Owen (deceased) and his occupation was given as Pierman. John Owen's (junior) death certificate in 1931 shows he was a Pier Attendant. This family has very close connections over a long period of time with Llandudno Pier and I would be surprised if there was nothing documented about them.

The 1911 Llandudno census has John Roberts, age 53 Pier Master. He is married and living in Ash Grove, Arfon Ave, Llandudno. He shows that he works for the Pier Company.

There is also William Hugh Owen, age 32, a Pier Labourer, married but a Lodger in Trefriw House, Lloyd St, Llandudno.

Thomas Barrow, age 52, married, Pier Porter and Chimney Sweep, living in Balmoral, Trinity Square, Llandudno. Thomas appears to be self employed.

Next is William Jones, age 44, married, Pier Man (general) employed by Pier Company. He is living in Stone Grove, Taliesin St, Llandudno.

Not a worker on the pier but interesting to note that William Frederick Mason, age 62, born Manchester and living at Gogarth Abbey, Llandudno, shows he is a Director of limited liability companies engaged in Lead Mining, Pier Company, Rubber Machinery and General Engineering.

This may give you a clue as to the other people in the photo.

Helig

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2020, 09:45:48 am »
Memory lane - your free new online picture archive filled with photos of North Wales
Take a trip into the past and help preserve it for future generations

A free new online picture archive from the owners of the Daily Post and North Wales Live is being launched today.

The site - called Memorylane.co.uk -   https://www.memorylane.co.uk/   allows people to celebrate, explore and share historical moments in their little corner of the world through fascinating pictures taken through the years.

The launch comes as a YouGov survey carried out for Memory Lane suggests that the past is in danger of being lost because 80% of British people haven’t digitised all their photos.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/memory-lane-your-free-new-19216624

Offline hollins

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2021, 09:35:03 am »
Some interesting photos in this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-55537454

Offline Hugo

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2021, 10:13:24 am »
The guy in the second photo by himself on the Pier reminds we of Alfie Price who worked for my next door  neighbour Sam Owen

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2021, 11:53:02 am »
The position of the walls and the shelter on the first photo have got me muddled. Any suggestions as to just where it is?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Online norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2021, 12:52:54 pm »
Yes Hugo that is Alfie Price on the pier,   The pic of the two people in the shelter is colwyn bay.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2021, 02:34:13 pm »
Thanks Norman    $good$       Sam Owen had a horse and cart for his business and he used to stable his horse in his back garden.   My Dad used to borrow the horse now and again to keep the grass short.
If my memory is correct Alfie used to walk in front of the cart holding the horse's reins and sometimes sat alongside old Sam
The good old days

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2021, 02:41:56 pm »
Yes Hugo that is Alfie Price on the pier,   The pic of the two people in the shelter is colwyn bay.

That explains a lot thank you.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.