Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181561 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2014, 08:49:16 am »
Conwy Council now have Webcasts of key Council meetings, although only 1 has been loaded at present:
http://www.conwy.public-i.tv/core/portal/home

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:19 am »
The Llandudno Town Council website is now operational again, although large swathes of it are marked 'coming soon'. A shame that a Caernarfon web company was used, instead of a local business.

http://llandudno.gov.uk/index.html
Back in September, I posted the above message. Nine months later, I looked at the website again and still no agendas/reports/minutes online for taxpayers (you know, the people that actually pay for everything) to view - amazing!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2014, 12:23:10 pm »
This debacle is now in its 5th year.  It was doomed from the first attempt which was by a LOCAL company!   _))*

The main problem is that there is no one in the Council either interested or capable of keeping it up to date.  Toby Prosser made a good attempt when he was Town Clerk, but he was an IT geek!
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #528 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:57 pm »
till we get a ballot paper with the box NONE OF THE ABOVE will we get the government or the council we want,i have recently realised that my vote has  helped a person on the local council  to get into two well paid jobs TWICE my only ,
ask of him is that he should ask at council meetings if we could have a couple more dog waste bins in Llandudno south,the result one less bin on ffordd Elisabeth.i now realise anybody getting elected has their own agenda not the agenda the electors told them that they would like,and I now understand the word APATHY,as in the song ,the working class can kiss my **** I'm on the council at last

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #529 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »
There is a further problem for any new Councillor.......... that age old question!

How long do I keep banging my head against a brick wall before I give up trying?

Wrex and I have experienced it, as have many others!
 >>>
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #530 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:58 am »
A SENIOR Conwy councillor has defected from the Lib Dems and joined Welsh Labour.

Conwy Council cabinet member for highways, environment and sustainability Mike Priestley wrote to residents on Thursday to inform them of his break from the current coalition government party.

He said: “I have been struggling personally with the Liberal Democrats nationally since the coalition and find myself becoming more distant from their policies.

“I am a former trade union branch chairman and I feel like I am coming back to my roots.”

Cllr Priestley, who represents the Marl ward on Conwy Council, stood as the Lib Dem candidate for Aberconwy in both the general and assembly elections

He added: “Labour in Wales is delivering real help for Conwy on projects such as Llandudno Railway station, creating and securing jobs in the local area like the 50 at the new Surf Snowdonia, 90 through the Lift Grant and saving 300 jobs at Robinsons Research.

“Working alongside Ed Miliband as Prime Minister in 2015 there is real hope for the future in North Wales.

“My decision will not affect my work as a local councillor.

“I am proud of my record as a strong voice for our area and as someone who is always available to local residents.”

Welsh Labour leader and First Minister Carwyn Jones AM said: “It is a pleasure to welcome Mike to Welsh Labour.

“We know he is someone who cares deeply about his local area and he is an important addition to our Labour Group in Conwy and the party more generally.”

A spokesperson for the Welsh Liberal Democrats said: “As a party, we have a proud record of delivery for the people of Conwy.

“We are working hard for the local area to ensure that everyone has the services they deserve and we will continue to campaign on matters that matter most to local people.”

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
llandudno youth
« Reply #531 on: July 13, 2014, 07:38:05 pm »
With the loss of Broadway Boulavard,the Washington and now maybe the Superbowl what can we do for the youth of this town who don;t go to Uni and are left to live here.I don;t think i have heard any councillors showing any concerns,i know you can;t make anybody invest but there must be some disscusion about where our youth can go.

Offline Yorkie

Re: llandudno youth
« Reply #532 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »
Do we have to mammby pammby today's kids from the day they are born until they die?  They can do what we did as kids - get off their arses and form their own clubs and organised groups.  We have a Ski Slope, Snooker, Football, Cricket, Swimming, Cycling, Gymnasia, Martial Arts, Music, Dramatics, Field Sports, Climbing, Sailing, Windsurfing, Model Railways, Model Boating, Forces Cadet Corps, St John's, Charity work, and a thousand and one more past-times, even down to Chess and Stamp Collecting.

Or if they wish they can drink themselves silly and drug themselves up,  the choice is theirs.

ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #533 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:03 pm »
  My goodness Yorkie you have certainly made a good old list of activities (even if Golf drops into the 1001 other things) Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:26 am »
what can we do for the youth of this town who don't go to Uni and are left to live here........Do we have to nammby pammby today's kids from the day they are born until they die?  They can do what we did as kids - get off their arses and form their own clubs and organised groups.

Interesting perspectives and an age-old issue. To wrex I'd simply observe that if the financial incentive were there, I suspect we'd see companies queuing up to create things for the youth you mention. But the very group you identify as needing something are arguably the group least able to afford commercial activities. Your concern seems to be for the 18 - 24 year olds, and they're technically adults and not youth. If they're not attending University, then they're presumably in employment or on apprenticeship schemes. By that age, it's unlikely that anything could be provided specifically for them on a commercial basis that didn't cost.

To Yorkie I'd say that I agree about the cosseting of young people, since it's only by using their ability to think and devise their own activities that they'll ever learn how to cope with the world but the young are like the young of any mammalian species. Left entirely to their own devices they will certainly "form their own clubs and organised groups" but these may not be the ones we want. We don't have that much of a problem here, but London sees this happening with often fatal results.

The young are the future for our society and they need and want leadership. Wrex's concern for that need is laudable, although the voluntary sector is doing a lot to take up the slack with the younger groups. However, there's a noticeable drop-off in membership as youngsters pass the ages of 15 and 16.  D of E groups are now largely centred in the Secondary School sector, Scouting and Guiding retain a fair number, most of whom then go off to University, however, and other religious-based youth organisations continue to attract gradually diminishing numbers of teens. With all these, however, the onus is on the leadership of the institution in question and good leaders are very hard to find. The churches could do a lot more, but all too often the leadership in them believes it's not their problem.

But the council also supports voluntary groups and it was discovered many years ago, when the great cities were attempting to rebuild society in the aftermath of the war, that council-based initiatives for young people worked best when they were driven through existing voluntary organisations. It was for that reason that grants were made available to all properly constituted youth organisations, both at national and local level.

But I suspect the bottom line is that those capable and willing to lead 18 - 24 year olds are far too thin on the ground and no amount of expenditure on constructed facilities will make one jot of difference. And I'd add one note of caution: as I was writing this I was trying to think of any voluntary organisation that successfully leads and motivates the 18 - 24 year old age group and I could think of only one. And it's very strong in Cardiff.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:55 am »
]

But I suspect the bottom line is that those capable and willing to lead 18 - 24 year olds are far too thin on the ground and no amount of expenditure on constructed facilities will make one jot of difference. And I'd add one note of caution: as I was writing this I was trying to think of any voluntary organisation that successfully leads and motivates the 18 - 24 year old age group and I could think of only one. And it's very strong in Cardiff.

I'm not sure who you are referring to? But the Prince's trust are very good
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:21:30 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:06 am »
The Prince's Trust are excellent.  And they fulfil a vital role in society.  But for week-by-week support you need volunteers, willing to give time every week to supporting young people.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »
  My goodness Yorkie you have certainly made a good old list of activities (even if Golf drops into the 1001 other things) Mike

Mike, you don't seriously think I want all that riff-raff churning up my Golf Course, do you?    :golf:   :D
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #538 on: July 23, 2014, 07:08:24 pm »
I have just seen another person fined for littering, he was shocked and angry, I found out he was from Conwy and did'nt know about the wardens, (no excuse).     During the recent air show, for the blind, I saw a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in uniform, who had travelled some distance to raise money in aid of the above, also fined, again,no excuse, but I thought, under that circumstance, a warning would have been in order.                              How much harm is being done to Llandudno with visitors near and far, being fined.                                                According to the council, these wardens, are supposed to be in uniform, I would have thought a high viz. model would deter littering, and would be fairer to the visitors.........but, then the private company would lose out, and the staff, could'nt have their raffle

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #539 on: July 23, 2014, 08:03:23 pm »
Personally I think these Litter Wardens look more like Pub Bouncers.  Maybe they should be given a litter picker and a bag so they could clear up as they go about the town! 
 :rage:
Cicero