Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181652 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:55 am »
In that case why has not one of the 30 town councillors that the flagpoles they pay to be erected have never had a flag on and reported it,Cll Bertola walks down the prom every morning.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2012, 07:46:05 am »
To be honest Wrex, as an ex Councillor, I was never aware that the Town Council paid for that service, but then again, one can't know everything.

I doubt many other Town Councillors (if any) are aware either.  The real duty is that of the Town Clerk who seems to be proving a bit of a problem area as far as my recent experience is concerned.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #482 on: September 03, 2012, 08:28:08 am »
Town council are in trouble again,i missed this one,too busy looking at the uncut grass,apparently the town council pay CCBC each year to put up the flagpoles on the promenade,seems that the town council has never bothered putting any flags on them,so that money could have gone on a lawnmower.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2012, 08:20:50 am »
Saw this over on Oscar's blog:

Why do we constantly put up with substandard garbage from our Council, Council workers and officers?
Our elected representatives constantly lie to us.  They promise faithfully to act in OUR best interests until elected when they switch over to cruise control and just do the minimum they can get away with until the next election. And that's the good ones!
The bad ones just concentrate on feathering their own nests and promoting the interests of their cronies!

The trouble is that most of the time, when given the choice between a lazy naughty boy, a crook or a villain, we always choose one of them.  Unfortunately very few suitable candidates stand for election. It is universally seen as a cushy number, an easy way to make decent money with little effort and negligible supervision.

The Council employs many officers in the various departments. A few are good at their job, lots aren't and many try to make their posts appear far more important than they really are.  This is to ensure their post is secure and hopefully to get some of their workload unloaded onto another officer due to "pressure of work" in their very important position!
This usually involves the creation of yet another totally frivolous post which the recipient can then build his empire around. And so on and on. The "officer tree" has become so extended (and expensive) that individual officers can assume a degree of power way above their pay grade and if their fancy takes them they can misuse the power invested in them at their will.

Then there are the Council workers, the salt of the earth that make the wheels go round, albeit somewhat slowly!  No doubt due to union involvement every body knows his job is relatively secure. Council workers lose their jobs due to financial restrictions rather than being sacked for incompetence, incivility or plain right criminal activity.  This althoughusually well deserved seldom if ever occurs!  Most seem to see their jobs rather like a little lottery win, a meal ticket for their working life.
They just have to do as little as they can get away with and everything will be fine.A high viz vest and a newish little van and you are made for life!

Why does the council own and run so many vehicles? Does nearly every council workman really need to have his own, council provided, personal transport?  It certainly seems like that. Previously our local councils have had a fraction of the vehicles they seem to have today. I realise that CCBC is now a large council covering an extended area but it always used to seem to work much better.

Better before a huge fleet of new little vans and fancy four-wheel drive vehicles! It all costs money, our money and I'm getting sick of seeing it wasted for such poor returns, crappy services and lousy facilities!"

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:00 am »
Saw this over on Oscar's blog:

Why do we constantly put up with substandard garbage from our Council, Council workers and officers?

The simple answer is BECAUSE WE LET THEM!    WWW   WWW   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #485 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:50 pm »
Another embarrassing TV documentary for our area last night, and once again public money ...OUR MONEY, has been thrown away.   

I'm not sure who came across as the most shifty and evasive, the conman himself, or our beloved council leader Iwan Davies.  He really didn't cover himself in glory.

The issue was around the guy who conned CCBC out of £125,000 to open the Jenivore Hotel as a Service Veterans Hostel.
It wasn't a sophisticated con.  He asked for the money and he was given it!

All this could have been avoided by simple and basic management controls.  Such as checking the guys background which was entirely fabricated.
Mismanagement has cost us dear yet again.   &shake& &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #486 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:09 am »
It's okay, Fester:  the money wasn't from CCBC, but the Welsh Assembly. Conwy were only administering it.

It's curious: the National Lottery has also experienced similar issues in the past. I'm guessing the problem lies in defining the half-way point between making it almost impossible to get money in the first place for genuinely worthy schemes and incurring the wrath of the electorate as a consequence or making it too easy and running the risk of losing large sums, as they've done. Knowing how difficult it usually is to get money out of public bodies one has to wonder if there isn't more to this than appears at first glance.

Edit:  "Plaid Cymru MP Elfyn Llwyd, a prominent campaigner for veterans, admits being taken in by O'Neill."   I know Elfyn Llwyd personally, and he's certainly no fool. As an ex-barrister he's quite well acquainted with con men and their ilk. It's also worth bearing in mind that the BBC themselves - who so self-righteously put out the programme deploring the lack of background checking on this bloke - were also, apparently, completely taken in by him:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-12848188

Here's what they had to say in2011:

"Mr O'Neill, a former Royal Military Policeman based on Anglesey, said Wrexham's Glyndwr University had donated a conference room for Thursday's meeting. He also said the university's vice chancellor, Professor Michael Scott, had agreed to be a patron of the new charity"

So the upshot is that the BBC themselves, Barristers, university Chancellors and many others were taken in by someone who they're all now condemning, although quite rightly.  Not sure this is really a lot to do with CCBC. 

And that has to be a first:  me defending the Council...   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:25 am »
As I understand it, the money was given to this guy by CCBC on WG's behalf.  It has now been repaid by CCBC to WG out of their own funds, as this guy has spent it all on gambling etc.

So.....CCBC is £125,000 down on the deal, surely?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #488 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »
It'll depend on the conditions, Dave.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #489 on: February 21, 2013, 06:26:34 pm »
I believe the documentary explicitly said that CCBC were £125,000 out of pocket on the deal.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:23 pm »
Indeed, but the conditions of the payment are tricky to navigate. Because of paybacks and such CCBC might not be in any default situation whatsoever.  Time will tell. Meanwhile, the crucial, aspect - that of identifying the guy's past - remains unresolved, since journalist's sources are regarded as sacrosanct .

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #491 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:44 pm »
I don't usually join the clamour to slag off CCBC, but two things motivated me on this occasion.

1, The public finances are so tight these days, that many parts of the wonderful town of Llandudno are going to hell in a handcart, for want of a few quid spending on them.  (Public toilets for example)

2, Seeing the highly paid CEO of the council performing so poorly when confronted with the questions.
He tried to maintain a professional facade, but it soon fell apart.
Perhaps it's just me, but I expect a better performance from our so-called 'leaders'  &shake&

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »
Seeing the highly paid CEO of the council performing so poorly when confronted with the questions.
He tried to maintain a professional facade, but it soon fell apart.
Which makes it all the more hillarious that the following took place at the Council Meeting today:

"Leader @conwycbc congratulates the Chief Exec on the way he handled last night's TV interview on this issue"

Not the blind leading the blind.....but the clueless leading the clueless......  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
So now one can expect accolades for fobbing off people, rather than actually managing to confront the issue?

I will commend him when he actually tackles and resolves something, not for dodging it.

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:06 am »
I missed the programme, but I'll take a peek later on iPlayer.