Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181599 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
If you backtrack any further, you'll be in the greenhouse.

So you are happy to imply that a 'friend' used his position to glean more money for the Rugby Club.
With friends like you, certain Councillors don't need enemies.

And I will not be told by anybody to 'shut up', when I have the right to defend us, from your continued and undeserved attack.
Let's not forget who implemented this discussion and who is now trying to defend himself.

No I did not say "a friend" - I said the person was a friend, in other words not an enemy or someone I disliked!  It appears the person is more a friend of the Rugby Club.

Me attack the Rugby Club? - Don't be so bl**dy stupid.  I am not attacking anyone.  All I am trying to do is help to explain the Grant system to those who are prepared to listen, which obviously you are not!  And which as an ex Councillor I am perfectly qualified to do.

Just to put the record straight the discussion was started by DaveR,  July 20, 2012, 08:43:53 PM.

I notice that you have totally failed to put any points forward yourself and have chosen just to try and pick fault with all that I have said.   In this respect you have failed miserably and will no doubt continue to do so.

Why is it that every time you post on this Forum you just choose to offer criticism and actually make no valuable contribution whatsoever?  Perhaps it's time to move over to Saga.   ££$

Here we go again.

No I did not say "a friend" - I said the person was a friend, in other words not an enemy or someone I disliked!  It appears the person is more a friend of the Rugby Club.

You called him a 'good friend'. So I would assume by that, you meant he was a good friend?
This person has little , if any links to the club now.

Me attack the Rugby Club? - Don't be so bl**dy stupid.  I am not attacking anyone.  All I am trying to do is help to explain the Grant system to those who are prepared to listen, which obviously you are not!  And which as an ex Councillor I am perfectly qualified to do.

By claiming "The Rugby Club is (or was) a major beneficiary, maybe due to lobbying by a certain Councillor" is an attack on the integrity of the Councillor, an attack on the Rugby club implying that we exploited the system, and the Councillor, in order to get more money.
This is an explanation of the Grants system?

Just to put the record straight the discussion was started by DaveR,  July 20, 2012, 08:43:53 PM

DaveR makes no mention of the Rugby Club, that was you.

I notice that you have totally failed to put any points forward yourself and have chosen just to try and pick fault with all that I have said.   In this respect you have failed miserably and will no doubt continue to do so.

I'm not here to put points forward, I'm here to find out why you seem to have a grudge against the Rugby Club?

Why is it that every time you post on this Forum you just choose to offer criticism and actually make no valuable contribution whatsoever?  Perhaps it's time to move over to Saga.   ££$

The words head and brick wall spring to mind.
I defending the Rugby Club and certain individuals against your attack. The lack of "valuable contribution" started about 12 post ago.
I'm about 30 years off being able to utilise SAGA, but thank you for the advice.

Just appologise for suggesting what you did, and I'm sure we can move on, all a little bit wiser.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #436 on: July 23, 2012, 02:47:59 pm »
I am amazed by your verbosity but have decided in the interests of the Forum Members as a whole not to continue with this rather pointless diatribe.   Each will form their own opinion should they have even bothered to read the exchange of postings.     >>>

Good luck to the Rugby Club, with or without, "the person".
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #437 on: July 23, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
I am amazed by your verbosity but have decided in the interests of the Forum Members as a whole not to continue with this rather pointless diatribe.   Each will form their own opinion should they have even bothered to read the exchange of postings.     >>>

Good luck to the Rugby Club, with or without, "the person".

I see. Your embarrassed and don't want this to continue...you would rather it just go away.

No problem.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #438 on: July 23, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »

I see. Your embarrassed and don't want this to continue...you would rather it just go away.

No problem.

The last thing Yorkie suffers from is embarrassment!

He is thick skinned, broad shouldered and cannot tolerate fools.

Mellons is so apt for you, full of water and no substance!
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: July 23, 2012, 04:57:53 pm »
I think everyone's had their say, so time to call it a day for this particular discussion.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:28 pm »
I think everyone's had their say, so time to call it a day for this particular discussion.

Now he's turning personal, it's probably a good call.

You'll hear no more from me on the subject, thank you Dave.

And appologies to (most) other forum members for hijacking the thread.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2012, 05:37:56 pm »

Not at all, I was quite enjoying it.  :)
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »

Not at all, I was quite enjoying it.  :)

So was I until it became so repetitive.  Bit like Rumpole of the Bailey!  >>>
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #443 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
Ahem... (cough)....Bertola....   almost rhymes with Pergola, if you stretch a point... anyone noticed?  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #444 on: July 25, 2012, 08:29:19 am »
Ahem... (cough)....Bertola....   almost rhymes with Pergola, if you stretch a point... anyone noticed?  :laugh:

Hadn't noticed, never heard of a Councillor Pergola, and wasn't Bertola something to do with Ice Cream?    _))*

http://thoughtsofoscar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/bertola.html
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #445 on: July 25, 2012, 11:53:05 am »
Bertola Cream Sherry  ??????????? or did imagine that my dad liked it ?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #446 on: July 25, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »
Did you know we had a problem with Grants in the Hotel sector? Money was available in better times, from Public Funds to make improvements to privately owned properties. Alas only the large establishments or very well connected property owners seemed able to meet the criteria to get funding. It turned out that it was much easier for those administering the schemes to pay out for one or two very large projects, than to pay out lots of little amounts to a lot of little guy's. It’s the way things work around here. In my humble opinion stop the Grant system entirely and put Public Money back in the coffers to help finance Public services for all.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
Does anyone genuinly think there is one councillor on the town council who gives a stuff about the beach or the grass cutting,try and leave out the County Councillors because they just will not knock CCBC whatever,so out of the councillors who are left there is not one who will stand up and fight for the voters ,or is there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: August 16, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
As I've always said, Council officers treat the Councillors like mushrooms - feed them sh*t and keep them in the dark.  :laugh:

Conwy County Council slammed by auditors in damning report
by David Powell, DPW West Aug 16 2012

WATCHDOGS have criticised a council for failing to monitor how it spends public money.

In a critical report, auditors KPMG highlighted how Conwy mishandled projects like Maesdu Road Bridge, the ex-Dinosaur World site and Llandudno Swimming Pool.

Clwyd West MP David Jones called the report “troubling” and cited a “culture of secrecy” at the authority.

Conwy Council says it is putting its house in order. Its audit committee will study KPMG’s 31-page report at a special meeting on Monday.

KPMG had agreed with the council to carry out a review of Conwy contracting procedures as a result of overspends on some large capital projects.

On the controversial £2m overspend on Maesdu Bridge, KPMG says a complex contract was left to inexperienced staff with insufficient support.

The council let the contract based on engineers’ time rather than setting a fixed price, so the cost was difficult to control.

The council didn’t include some foreseeable costs like a replacement bus service.

KPMG say the former Dinosaur World building – turned into a Forest School – and Llandudno Pool had “weak control” or “poor contract management”. Officers invited potential contractors to tender for the Forest School Project but only gave them three days to reply.

On the pool, it originally was to cost £5,014,745 but the final cost was £6,254,000, an increase of 25%. Overall, KPMG found: “The council performs inconsistently. Some contracts are applied correctly and some examples of good practice exist (Eirias Park project).

“However many aspects of the contracting process need improving, including the way procedures are applied in many council services.” It adds: “The council is not always able to demonstrate it has delivered value for money.” KPMG recommends Conwy monitors large projects better.

The auditors accept Conwy is trying to improve by training managers and doing internal audits in risk areas. For example, officers are reporting progress over the £18m Ysgol Y Gogarth reconstruction fortnightly to an executive body. But KPMG stress Conwy generally still has “significant work to do”. Only then can it “be confident all third party expenditure is being procured, managed and monitored” efficiently.

KPMG said Conwy kept details of claims against and by the council over the Maesdu Road Bridge from councillors.

Clwyd West MP David Jones said: “This is clearly a troubling report. It’s worrying that senior officials did not share details of the progress of the (bridge) work with council members which means taxpayers’ money was spent without sufficient scrutiny.” He claimed parts of the bridge fiasco suggest a “culture of secrecy” and called for an open debate in full council.

Conwy council said: “KPMG included a number of key recommendations within the report. In response to these, officers have already developed an action plan and progress will be monitored as part of the Authority’s service performance review process.”

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #449 on: August 16, 2012, 11:23:30 am »
Apparently the latest list of Llandudno Town Councillor's Declarations of Interest are available:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/120651/response/304539/attach/html/3/Decs%20of%20Interest%202012.doc.html
Cicero