Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028588 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3345 on: November 22, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »
When I was a teenager in West Yorks, around that time, there were plenty of coffee 'bars' as they were called. We used to hang out for a whole evening, often only buying one coffee. I don't remember ever being asked to buy another, or move on ! Mind you, most of them would have either the 'elf and safety' or food police onto them these days !.We probably spent more money in the juke box and on the pin-tables than we did on coffee.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Dave

« Reply #3346 on: November 22, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »
When I was a lad in Walton Liverpool, before 1960, there was a temperance bar by Walton Church (CofE) that was every bit as busy as the local pubs. I can't remember any coffee shops or tea shops though. Although, there seemed to be a pub every few yards just like Conwy used to be. The temperance bar served draught drinks like dandelion and burdock. I also remember hot Vimto but I can't remember if coffee or tea were served.

My question is: did the Cocoa House in Llandudno serve the same function? Was it Llandudno's forerunner to coffee shops?

Liverpool city centre was full of coffee shops, the Kardomah chain was particularly popular. The aroma of freshly ground coffee as you walked past them was irresistible.

Offline mull

« Reply #3347 on: November 22, 2016, 09:00:14 pm »
Agree about the Liverpool and Southport Coffee shops in the 1960s but in them days we were more interested in the opposite sex.
Happy days.
Now would rather be way up a mountain with a flask of coffee , enjoying the view in peace and quiet. Nice to sit there and enjoy the view, especially with someone close. Would I be sitting next to someone nice in Mostyn Street at £2/£3 pound a cup.
Getting a Grumpy old man now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3348 on: November 22, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »
Mull and BTR    there is some good news for both of you

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/easycoffee-chain-cup-coffee-costs-12208227

The bad news is that it's in Wrexham         

Mull,   I'm afraid that you're going to have to put some money in your sporran when you come here in January.      ;D

$cofffee$

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #3349 on: November 23, 2016, 07:29:29 am »
Is there one of these in the three towns?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g60859-d805270-r22115084-Escape_Java_Joint-Madison_Wisconsin.html

The contributor must qualify for world GOM or GOW competition (Grumpy old).

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3350 on: November 23, 2016, 09:08:26 am »
I stopped at 'the jazz is so loud' that's enough for me, must surely be a place out of the deepest depths of hell.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3351 on: November 23, 2016, 09:55:01 am »
Correlation does not equal causation. Just because the decline of pubs was matched by rise of coffee shops doesn't mean it was caused by it.

Coffee is an American drink but it's obviously more popular than ever in the UK.

Personally I think Llandudno and Conwy have plenty of coffee shops (and some duff ones to boot). That said, a £1 a cup coffee shop should drive down prices and will only kill of the poor/unsuccessful ones.

People say Wetherspoons kills off pubs but it just gets rid of bad ones, I think. Look at how Cottage Loaf has thrived despite the massive Wethers next door.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #3352 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:46 am »

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3353 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:42 am »
Thanks PhilMick; where the fallacy of coffee being 'an American drink' comes from I've no idea. Perhaps people think it's made by Coca Cola?   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline mull

« Reply #3354 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
Bring back CAMP coffee I say, with condensed milk.       :)

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #3355 on: November 23, 2016, 11:35:20 am »
Was camp coffee made with chickory?

How did that happen?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #3356 on: November 23, 2016, 11:38:16 am »
Was it made in Scotland by any chance:  Z**

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Coffee

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3357 on: November 23, 2016, 12:02:55 pm »
Away from coffee debating... Good write up here of interview with chef Bryn Williams about Porth Eirias http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/chef-bryn-williams-says-porth-12214594
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3358 on: November 23, 2016, 08:06:19 pm »
Bring back CAMP coffee I say, with condensed milk.       :)

OMG ! :puke2:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline mull

« Reply #3359 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:48 pm »
Remember we used to get it when I was on courses at Liverpool Collage of Commerce in early 1960s.

Tasted good then. Thought i was in love then and I suppose that was more important at that time. :laugh: