Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029941 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3255 on: October 20, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »
Wildwood 0. Johnny Dough's 1

Yesterday, Morgan, the proprietor of the most excellent new pizza place, Johnny Doughs, successfully challenged Wildwoods in terms of their misleading signage.

There has been a large sign outside Wildwoods advertising 'Wood Fired Pizza' ever since opening, but their ovens are GAS fired only.
So, once approached, Wildwoods were forced to admit their false claim and remove the signage immediately.

By the way.... we ate in Johnny Dough's again last night, it's fantastic.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3256 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:02 pm »
That's a good story, might clue my colleague onto it.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3257 on: October 21, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
I'm surprised you fit in with all them hipsters Fester! It is a great place though, and kids can make their own pizza and have an ice cream for a fiver.

Conwy food festival tonight and a live performance from the mighty Pinc Ffloyd  $walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3258 on: October 28, 2016, 12:05:36 am »
Couldn't find much open to get a meal in after 8.30pm, so tried Wildwoods tonight.
It's quite nice inside, a nice addition to the town, but overall it's pretty average at best.

My starter was Mushrooms, blue cheese, but sprinkled with walnuts?  - a bit weird, but ok for six quid.
My wife had goats cheese, but it was deep fried, pre made microwave fodder, worth a fraction of the six quid it cost.  4/10 she said.

We decided to buy the Gigantica pizza at £13.95,   (To share) Which is 100% more expensive than the regular pizza, but compared to the one I saw on the next table is actually about 12% bigger than the norm!
Spicy meatballs were supposed to be the main ingredient, but there were 4 of them, the size of raisins, strategically placed on this stretched piece of bread.  A bit of shredded ham, some pepperoni, and that was about it.
(Asda meat feat pizza is £3.95, and its brimming with great toppings, and impossible to finish)

So overall, we rated it 6/10,  not good enough really,  it's just mass market, franchise fodder that can be dished up with minimal effort, little or no culinary skill and easily staffed by school leavers or migrant workers.

There are so many better places to eat in the 3 towns area.

Fester...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3259 on: October 28, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
Sounds a rip off to me, ( well it would I hear you say ! ) but when you can buy a pizza for 89p in Aldi , complete with cheese and tomato and add toppings to it if you wish, it seems worse ! We have had a few of these, 1/2 each, with a jacket spud, and/or garlic bread plus salad if you like same and have enjoyed them. A bigger appetite than ours would probably want a whole one each, but it is all personal taste.

Here I go again....economy  !! :o :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3260 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:28 am »
We had a superb meal, as usual, in the Jai Ho in Deganwy at the weekend, only let down by the owner standing at our table droning on for some time about problems with the customers at Mango and Bamboo. The problems they are causing are making her consider changing the format of the venue. Whilst I sympathise with her issues, we didn't really want to play Agony Aunt to her problems whilst out for a meal with friends.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3261 on: October 28, 2016, 12:11:08 pm »
I keep meaning to try Jai Ho, I've not been to Nikki Ips either, shame on me. Trying to persuade the other half to go out for dinner this weekend.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3262 on: October 28, 2016, 12:54:01 pm »
In my every visit to the Jai Ho since it has opened I've never had less than an excellent meal, the quality of the food certainly make it the best Indian restaurant in the area. Last weekend was superb. I only hope that the standard of excellence continues, so many Indian restaurants are very 'hit and miss', the Jai ho, has to date, maintained a continual exceptional standard of food. I pray that it continues!

We also enjoy Nikki Ipps, again, exceptional food with an excellent reputation that is always very busy. The only drawback to Nikki Ipps is a rather limited menu, and after a couple of visits, you feel that you've tried everything on offer and the limited menu doesn't change.

As you can tell, I consider Jai Ho and Nikki Ipps  to be excellent restaurants and we are very lucky to have them, I only wish that more restaurants were to the same standard, but they are few and far between.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3263 on: October 28, 2016, 04:32:06 pm »
Mango and Bamboo never seems to have enough customers to have problems with!

Here's a prediction for you,  it will be gone very early in 2017,  and Johnny Dough!s Pizza place will relocate into there.
Fester...

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #3264 on: October 31, 2016, 08:19:45 am »
Do you really think it'll only last a few months?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3265 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:56 pm »
Do you really think it'll only last a few months?

Aye, not enough local trade for all these new eateries.
Incidentally, I met up with a group of my wife's friends last night,  they had all just been to Wildwoods.
Very disappointed with everything, just as we were.
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3266 on: November 03, 2016, 11:04:49 pm »
Been back to Mango and Bamboo.
Superb food, superb staff ... 4th visit now.
I look forward to more locals trying it, because that's the only way good quality eateries can survive outside of the ever-shortening tourist season.

I know what the owner was saying to Bosun though, because more and more 'problem customers' are being attracted to Llandudno.
I have seen tables of eight visitors in the Emperor Chinese all walk out refusing to pay, after gorging themselves on food and alcohol.  It made me angry and sick for the proprietor.
The same has apparently happened 2 or 3 times in Mango and Bamboo in the previous few weeks.
They don't deserve to be treated this way by scum, freeloading visitors, no one does.

Other than employ a massive, intimidating chef or doorman, I'm not sure what can be done about such anti social characters.
I wish Mango and Bamboo every success though, because they make great food and try really hard.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3267 on: November 04, 2016, 07:55:44 am »
Good security cam footage might be a start.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3268 on: November 04, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
Been back to Mango and Bamboo.
Superb food, superb staff ... 4th visit now.
I look forward to more locals trying it, because that's the only way good quality eateries can survive outside of the ever-shortening tourist season.

I know what the owner was saying to Bosun though, because more and more 'problem customers' are being attracted to Llandudno.
I have seen tables of eight visitors in the Emperor Chinese all walk out refusing to pay, after gorging themselves on food and alcohol.  It made me angry and sick for the proprietor.
The same has apparently happened 2 or 3 times in Mango and Bamboo in the previous few weeks.
They don't deserve to be treated this way by scum, freeloading visitors, no one does.

Other than employ a massive, intimidating chef or doorman, I'm not sure what can be done about such anti social characters.
I wish Mango and Bamboo every success though, because they make great food and try really hard.

Surely that's illegal? What was their reasoning?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3269 on: November 04, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
Fester do you know whats attracting these ...problem customers...... to Llandudno?  And where are these visitors from ?