Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029197 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3120 on: May 12, 2016, 05:40:02 pm »
The civic hall in Conwy enjoys a rear entrance onto the quay.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3121 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:35 am »
"It has sparked concerns with other pub landlords over the threat to local independent drinking places"

Z** What they really mean is 'we won't be able to get away with charging half as much now"

£4.50 for a bottle of Guinness in the bank in Conwy - same bottle in Wetherspoons for less than £2

££$
Not perhaps a fair comparison - do you think The Bank is able to buy that bottle of Guinness for the same price that Wetherspoons do? It's common for small businesses to pay a higher wholesale price for an item than the big chains actually SELL it for!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3122 on: May 13, 2016, 09:04:32 am »
When our daughter was in the 'pub trade' she always said that Wetherspoons could sell drink cheaper than she could buy it. it appears that they stock drinks with a shorter 'sell by' date, because of their large turnover.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3123 on: May 13, 2016, 12:20:30 pm »
"It has sparked concerns with other pub landlords over the threat to local independent drinking places"

Z** What they really mean is 'we won't be able to get away with charging half as much now"

£4.50 for a bottle of Guinness in the bank in Conwy - same bottle in Wetherspoons for less than £2

££$
Not perhaps a fair comparison - do you think The Bank is able to buy that bottle of Guinness for the same price that Wetherspoons do? It's common for small businesses to pay a higher wholesale price for an item than the big chains actually SELL it for!

There are other locally owned pubs in other towns that manage to charge the same, near, sometimes less than Wetherspoons (indeed Wetherspoons is one of the most expensive pubs in town)
So I don't buy that argument, now if you're saying that consumers should boycott Wetherspoons in order to support local establishments, then that I am all for.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3124 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:00 am »
There are other locally owned pubs in other towns that manage to charge the same, near, sometimes less than Wetherspoons (indeed Wetherspoons is one of the most expensive pubs in town)
Which pubs are you thinking of?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3125 on: May 17, 2016, 12:16:06 pm »

Mailcoach I think it's called on the high street. There is a big sign outside advertising their prices - pretty much the same as Wetherspoons.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3126 on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:35 pm »

.....indeed Wetherspoons is one of the most expensive pubs in town....

_))*
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3127 on: May 17, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »

Mailcoach I think it's called on the high street. There is a big sign outside advertising their prices - pretty much the same as Wetherspoons.

B2R, you can't seriously compare the Mailcoach to a Wetherspoons establishment.
The Mailcoach is pretty run down and quite intimidating to walk into.
Tim Martin's company invest massive sums making the buildings they occupy into very beautiful and well managed hostelries.
They might not be to everyone's taste, but you cannot fault the decor or the business ethos.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3128 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:38 pm »

Its not locally owned, it's owned by Enterprise Inns who, like Wetherspoons, use their enormous buying power to undercut local businesses.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3129 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:40 pm »

.....indeed Wetherspoons is one of the most expensive pubs in town....

_))*

Sorry that should have read 'in Rhyl'. In most other town's Wetherspoons is normally cheaper.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3130 on: May 17, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »

B2R, you can't seriously compare the Mailcoach to a Wetherspoons establishment.
The Mailcoach is pretty run down and quite intimidating to walk into.
Tim Martin's company invest massive sums making the buildings they occupy into very beautiful and well managed hostelries.
They might not be to everyone's taste, but you cannot fault the decor or the business ethos.

Only thing I was comparing was the prices, DaveR is right it isn't locally owned so none of the locally owned businesses in Conwy charge similar prices to Wetherspoons then (probably because they haven't got one - back to my original point!) But locally owned pubs in other towns and cities clearly do - Rhyl being a prime example, Liverpool being another and there are some locally owned pubs in Llandudno that are not far off Wetherspoons either. 

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3131 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:51 am »
What do we know about the 2 lets in upper mostyn st,work well underway in old Portugese,nothing in old manor foods,

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3132 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:24 am »
What do we know about the 2 lets in upper mostyn st,work well underway in old Portugese,nothing in old manor foods,

I talk to an acquaintance the other day in Upper Mostyn St and he said he was planning to open a new restaurant in the old Portuguese place but didn't elaborate further.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3133 on: May 18, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
Morgan, the guy who runs the wood fired pizza van is bringing his business into the old Portuguese thing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3134 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »
Morgan, the guy who runs the wood fired pizza van is bringing his business into the old Portuguese thing.

The very same
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)