Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029038 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »
Thanks for those recommendations. I shall be giving them a try!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
But don't go to these.  Each one was rated as "Major improvement necessary " in their food preparation and hygiene and gained only a (1) out of a possible (5) in their inspections... Source: Conwy food ratings guide

Abbeyfield
Abbeyfield 57 Lloyd Street Llandudno
LL30 2YP

Abergele Kebab and Pizza
41 Market Street Abergele
LL22 7AF

Barnacles Restaurant
Barnacles Chip Shop 7 Mostyn Street Llandudno
LL30 2NL

Bella Vista
The Bella Vista Hotel 83 Church Walks Llandudno
LL30 2HD

Buffet Coach Cafe
Conway Valley Railway Museum Ffordd Hen Eglwys Betws Y Coed
LL24 0AL

Cafe Culture
Cafe Culture 79 Mostyn Street Llandudno
LL30 2NN

Cafe Orient Express
Cafe Orient Express 8 Gloddaeth Street Llandudno
LL30 2DS

Charcoal Grill
Charcole Grill 425 Abergele Road Old Colwyn Colwyn Bay
LL29 9PR

Cod Almighty
15 Ffordd Las Llandudno
LL30 1ER

Cooneys
137 Mostyn Street Llandudno
LL30 2PB
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: June 10, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »
The following places gained a (2); Improvement necessary

Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador Hotel St. Georges Place Llandudno
LL30 2NR

Cafe-T-Air

Cafe T Air 135 Station Road Deganwy Conwy
LL31 9EJ

Chatsworth House Hotel

Chatsworth House Hotel Gloddaeth Crescent Llandudno
LL30 2XS

Empire Hotel
Empire Hotel 73 Church Walks Llandudno
LL30 2HE

J Williams Butchers
Mona Buildings Station Road Llanfairfechan
LL33 0AP

Molly's Cafe
Molly's Cafe 18B Augusta Street Llandudno
LL30 2AD

Morfa Stores
MorfaStores 25 Penmaen Road Conwy
LL32 8HA

No 1's Bistro
No 1's Bistro 1 Old Road Llandudno
LL30 2HA

Rendezvous Cafe

71 Abergele Road Colwyn Bay
LL29 7RU

Swan Inn
Swan Inn Swan Square Llanfairtalhaiarn Abergele

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »
"The food safety officer inspecting a business checks how well the business is meeting the law by looking at:

* how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
    * the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
    * how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe

At the end of the inspection, the business is given one of the six ratings. The top rating of ‘5’ means that the business was found to have ‘very good’ hygiene standards. Any business should be able to reach this top rating.

The food safety officer will explain to the person who owns or manages the business what improvements are needed and how they can achieve the top rating of '5'. The local authority will check that these improvements are made.

The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme has been designed to make sure that the ratings given to businesses are fair."

What's important to realise is that a food preparation business with excellent hygiene and food hanlding practices can still fall foul of the second requirement: "the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »
The following places received the top marking:

Amorn Thai
6 Denbigh Street Llanrwst
LL26 0LL

Bistro Betws y Coed

Bistro Betws y Coed Betws y Coed
LL24 0AY

Blas Ar Fwyd
25 Station Road Llanrwst
LL26 0EP

Can-y-Bae
10 Mostyn Crescent Llandudno
LL30 1AR

Castle Tea Gardens
27 Castle Street Conwy
LL32 8AY

Cleave Court
1 St. Seiriols Road Llandudno

Depressingly few commercial establishments in Llandudno.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: June 10, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
For the worst score - (0) out of (5):

Gannets
Gannets Treforris Road Dwygyfylchi Penmaenmawr
LL34 6UB
Food hygiene rating is '0': Urgent improvement necessary

Kinmel Manor Hotel Ltd
Kinmel Manor Hotel St. George Road Abergele
LL22 9AS
Food hygiene rating is '0': Urgent improvement necessary

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »
 ZXZ Close Mostyn Street between Lloyd St and Gloddaeth Ave once a fortnight and have a street market.  $walesflag$ 
Micox

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: June 10, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
ZXZ Close Mostyn Street between Lloyd St and Gloddaeth Ave once a fortnight and have a street market.  $walesflag$ 
I agree

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #278 on: June 10, 2011, 09:53:01 pm »
Thanks for those recommendations. I shall be giving them a try!

I fear that Hollins, Nemesis and Suepp are in a minority.
Yes, everyone likes to SEE those types of shops, and browse in them.... but few BUY anything.
It is depressingly obvious that tat sells, (that and ice-cream ...and beer)

There are (or have been) quite a number of 'quality' or 'niche' shops in Llandudno over the past few years, but few could survive.
The Little Deli on Upper Mostyn St is a very nice business, but is up for sale. Why?
The Manor Fine foods shop, winds awards for its range and display ... but is deathly quiet when you peer in.

Just sit on a bench in town, or on the pier, and you will notice that every 2nd person is carrying a white/green carrier bag (from Poundland) or a white/red one (from Bargain Centre)

I'm not saying that I sell anything of great quality... please don't think that... but I look on with envious eyes most days at the other 'more popular' kiosks on the Pier.   Fair play to them, if I had the opportunity I know which ones I would rather have on many days of the season.

A comment I hear regularly ...'' Oh, there are some nice bits in here... its like that shop we used to see in such-a-place, you know, the one that closed down''   

I am as guilty as anyone.. I love the little shops in Beaumaris and Conwy.  Can't ever remember buying much in them though.
I never leave Poundland empty handed though.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #279 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
A shop I haven't seen get a mention in here... The Games Cabin in Madoc Street.. It's has a complete overhaul, and doesn't really even sell games anymore. It's sort of become a bohemian junk shop. But if it's classic vinyl albums your after there isn't anywhere better locally. I bought two Springsteen LPs I didn't have in my collection for about 3 or 4 pound each. The fact they weren't already in my collection is an indication they're pretty hard to get hold of... Well the same records sell on E bay for 20 to 30 pounds... There's some great clothes, guitars, really all sorts in there as well.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
Going back to the Food Hygiene Rankings...I don't know if I like the way they go about them. I think businesses who are inspected and receive a poor rating should be given the opportunity to make the necessary improvements and then reinspected before a final rating is given. Are we to assume that even a rating of 0 or 1 means that the standard of hygiene is still acceptable enough for the business to remain open?  :roll:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2011, 08:27:34 am »
I think that's one of the great unknowns, Dave. Item (2) on their list is so vague and lacking in detailed criteria that, without access to their actual inspection report, you cannot know if it's actually a hygiene issue as such or a building issue. It could be something as simple as a wall not being tiled the way the inspectors prefer it to be.

I think businesses who are inspected and receive a poor rating should be given the opportunity to make the necessary improvements and then reinspected before a final rating is given.

Well, they will have had a previous inspection designed for precisely that purpose and which didn't receive a public rating, so they will have been warned.  I'm not certain what the policy is with regard to new businesses, however.

In fact, fire safety inspections are a bit like that.  I've been involved (on the receiving end) of a fair few of those, and it seems that a lot of the points they make vary according to the person doing the inspection.  I appreciate no two places are identical, but surely it's only fair to make the criteria for the building aspects as clearly defined as it is for the actual food storage issues.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
On your last point, I think that if actual food hygiene practises are found to be seriously deficient, they can close the establishment down there and then.  And, with the various scares in the media, they are very cautious about that.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2011, 08:40:45 am »
I'm not saying that I sell anything of great quality
Apart from the excellent photographs of Llandudno, of course, available from www.llandudno-emporium.com  $angry$

...or KFC.  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2011, 09:23:21 am »
I'm not saying that I sell anything of great quality
Apart from the excellent photographs of Llandudno, of course, available from www.llandudno-emporium.com  $angry$

...or KFC.  :laugh:

Ha ha... correct... thats one high class purveyor of food that I regularly patronise!   L0L L0L

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -