Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029544 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2640 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:51 pm »
I hope you made them aware of your problems ?????

Yes we did Nem in a very positive way. Being in the business we are all used to the professional complainers who only want to get away without paying. We were told we didn't have to pay for the Duck meal as it wasn't cooked to my wife’s liking but we declined their offer and did pay for the meal in full. We provided the waiter with an explanation of what we thought was wrong with the meal and how we thought it could be improved. It would have been far better if someone from the waiting on staff/restaurant manager had actually come over and asked if everything was alright with our meal before they came to remove our plates. I agree with what Hollins said in an earlier post, paying customers really are an inconvenience to the staff. Pretentious Restaurants charging well over the odds for what in effect is mediocre food served with Staff who don’t know how to serve their paying customers need to really start upping their game.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2641 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:31 pm »
As you say Blongb we are all used to professional complainers, but I also see Hollins point. We went out for lunch, which is a very rare occasion, but the family came for the day before Christmas and as I hadn't been well my OH suggested we went out. 4 of us went plus our great-granddaughter to a well known local eatery. The service was awful, the food poor and as my OH only eats peas he requested same. A large pudding basin of these arrived, barely warm, let alone cooked. The Yorkshire puddings were  like shoe leather, in fact I wouldn't have put any of it in front of my guests. As he said, If we had been alone we would have complained, but as we were treating the family we kept quiet. ! The only person who seemed to enjoy her lunch was our great granddaughter who at barely 2 tucked into her sausage and mash ! Glad you complained Blongb, wish we could have done .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2642 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:21 pm »
Some rather good news; based on their success, the Albion team in Conwy have brought both the Bridge Inn in Conwy and also a pub in Porthmadog, 

If they run the Bridge in the same manner as the Albion, (and with the same management team, I have no doubt they will) this is excellent news for Conwy, and indeed, for Porthmadog. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #2643 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:20 pm »
The Bridge has been a dump for years as was the Albion , really happy about the new owners.

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #2644 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:49 am »
A new Pop up restaurant opened on Builder street last night called The Kitchen, and what i have heard went really well.

It is in the Building that the Brewery have moved into, but hurry, it is only open for 8 weeks.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2645 on: March 27, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Work is well underway on the new Fortes cafe in the old Bettys Fabrics shop. I understand that it is going to be more of a milk bar type cafe than the main Fortes restaurant.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2646 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:23 am »
We went to The Toad in Colwyn Bay  last night and enjoyed a lovely meal there,  The place was very busy but it had a nice atmosphere and wasn't too noisy.
When the building work was going on around the place The Toad continued to trade and was well supported so it was nice to see the place doing so well.      $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2647 on: March 28, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »
We went to The Toad in Colwyn Bay  last night and enjoyed a lovely meal there,  The place was very busy but it had a nice atmosphere and wasn't too noisy.
When the building work was going on around the place The Toad continued to trade and was well supported so it was nice to see the place doing so well.      $good$
I used to go there a few years back, they did a lovely burger back then.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2648 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:47 am »
Some rather good news; based on their success, the Albion team in Conwy have brought both the Bridge Inn in Conwy and also a pub in Porthmadog, 

If they run the Bridge in the same manner as the Albion, (and with the same management team, I have no doubt they will) this is excellent news for Conwy, and indeed, for Porthmadog.

Brewers behind Conwy's Albion Ale House set to open two new pubs in North Wales
14:00, 31 March 2015 By Mari Jones
Four microbreweries clubbed together to snap up the old Australia in Porthmadog and the Bridge Inn in Conwy, creating 25 new jobs

The brewers behind a successful Conwy pub are set to open another two establishments in North Wales.

The Bragdy Nant, Conwy, Purple Moose and Great Orme breweries, who reopened the Albion in Conwy in February 2012, have announced that they have taken over the old Australia pub in Porthmadog and the Bridge Inn in Conwy.

Gwynne Thomas of Conwy Brewery said 25 new jobs will be created by the acquisition of the pubs.

He said: “I’ve got a soft spot for the Bridge, as years ago it used to be the best pub in Conwy, and it’s in an amazing location just by Conwy Castle.

“It will be more family-friendly than the Albion, and there will be food. We’ll be serving traditional Welsh dishes like cawl.

Steve LewisGwynne Thomas of Conwy Brewery at the Bridge InnGwynne Thomas of Conwy Brewery at the Bridge Inn
“We think with the success of the Albion, the opening of a new tapas bar in the town, the continued success of the Liverpool Arms and the Castle Hotel, and with us taking over the Bridge Inn, Conwy will become a very real competitor to Llandudno as a night-time destination, although perhaps more for the 30s and over-40s demographic.”

Mr Thomas said the Australia will open before the summer holidays, and will have “more of a feel of the Albion”.

He said: “I think that, between all of us, we employ about 100 people in the breweries and in the pubs.

“We don’t want to overstretch ourselves, but perhaps in another couple of years we could expand further.”

Only months after opening with the financial backing of a mystery banker, the Albion was garnering rave reviews in national newspaper titles, and was named one of the best pubs in the world by the Observer.

Mr Thomas said: “I did have some worries as people were saying we’d need to offer Sky Sports, jukeboxes and food, but I think we’ve proved them wrong.

“The four of us got together and opened the sort of pub that we’d like to go to, and luckily it has worked.

“We are just as busy in the winter as we are in the summer, which is pretty incredible.”

Laurence Washington, owner of the Purple Moose brewery in Porthmadog, said: “I think the Albion has worked because we’ve created a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Many of our customers are people who wouldn’t normally go out otherwise.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/brewers-behind-conwys-albion-ale-8955140

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2649 on: April 02, 2015, 11:25:12 am »
We called in last week at the newish Puffin Cafe on the A55 at Penmaenmawr. It used to be the Little Chef and it has been transformed into a very pleasant place to call in for a bite to eat. It's owned by Glasfryn Parc and they use all their own produce in the cafe. I had the breakfast and it was fantastic, will certainly call again. They also have a shop/deli on site.

http://www.glasfryn.co.uk/puffin-cafe-shop-deli-a55/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2650 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:43 pm »
Good news for Conwy and Penmaenmawr,and Llandudno will lose out but hey ho we cant make people invest in Llandudno can we.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2651 on: April 04, 2015, 09:07:32 am »
Called in at the Bridge, Conwy yesterday evening, excellent beer, spotlessly clean, open fire, comfortable with no hated muzac. It's subtly different from the Albion, but with the same winning formula. I wish it well.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2652 on: April 07, 2015, 12:25:15 pm »
Visited two venues for the first time over the weekend -

I went out for a family meal at The Castle Hotel in Conwy on Sunday evening. I was surprised to be able to book a table on Saturday lunch time for the next day but after the meal I wasn't complaining. Perhaps a touch steep, the portions for the starters were a bit too big to stomach to be honest. Other than that it was first rate (stay tuned for a taste test review in the Post).

Also called in to Habit tea rooms in Llandudno yesterday - thought it was very nice - lots of staff on hand to help - could perhaps give you a bigger cup for their coffees but the lemon cake I had was delicious.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2653 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »
I've always liked the ambience of the Castle Hotel.

We went to Asia in Upper Mostyn Street last week, a first class meal, as always.  $good$

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #2654 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:48 pm »
I like The Castle too.  Great ambience, but I would add that you need to be in the bar area as opposed to the restaurant, which for some reason can be a bit soulless.  Have been to carlos this evening in Craig y don - personally I don't think you can beat it locally for food, ambience or service.