Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1029235 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2235 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:06 am »
It seems Starbucks are on their way to Llandudno as they're looking to recruit a store manager in Llandudno, Gwynedd - http://offer.jobisjob.co.uk/llandudno-gwynedd-wales/cafe-fortune/starbucks-store-manager/job-offer-ncobdoeug56ao3dq5pr5efhk5e?cat=_RT_&pos=1

This is good news for me.  I make a point of boycotting Starbucks on a matter of principle (re. their tax dodging) but it was always difficult to do when the nearest one, that's open to the general public at least, was forty miles away.  The place next to the petrol station in Bodelwyddan made things a bit easier but it's going to be better still having a local outlet to boycott  D).
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2236 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:57 am »
 _))*  _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2237 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:17 am »
I've never visited a Starbucks in my life!   Why should I start now?  I'm with you FA.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2238 on: August 01, 2014, 11:05:47 am »
This is good news for me.  I make a point of boycotting Starbucks on a matter of principle (re. their tax dodging) but it was always difficult to do when the nearest one, that's open to the general public at least, was forty miles away.

_))* _))* _))*

Wonderful!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2239 on: August 01, 2014, 11:38:35 am »
I also boycott Starbucks, but it's only because I refuse to pay more than 50p for a cup of coffee.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2240 on: August 01, 2014, 12:13:07 pm »
Apart from at home, where can you get a cup of coffee for under 50p?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #2241 on: August 01, 2014, 01:34:03 pm »
It's more than 50p but Mcdonalds do absolutely cracking coffee for about a quid. It's always piping hot too.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2242 on: August 01, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »

The last time I bought a coffee from a public place would have been about 1999 from Conwy United football ground. I remember it cost about 40p and I remember thinking that was a bit steep at the time but what the hell. Not seen one that's value for money since. I get as much free coffee as I want at work that'll do for me $good$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2243 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
Now... if it was Irish coffee, that would be different  Z**

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2244 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
I'll stick to my double espresso at Costa in Colwyn Bay. £1.98 and it knocks your block off ! I only get chance once a month when I have to kill an hour in the Bay whilst the dog has his haircut, but an hour in Colwyn bay and I need it !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2245 on: August 01, 2014, 02:03:35 pm »
I make a point of boycotting Starbucks on a matter of principle (re. their tax dodging) but it was always difficult to do when the nearest one, that's open to the general public at least, was forty miles away.  The place next to the petrol station in Bodelwyddan made things a bit easier but it's going to be better still having a local outlet to boycott  D).
http://www.starbucks.co.uk/our-commitment

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2246 on: August 01, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »

Brewers Fayre do an unlimited refill coffee for about £2.50 so if you have at least six cups that works out at less than 50p a cup  ???.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2247 on: August 01, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »
Thanks Dave, for Starbucks link........great P.R. on the face of it, and you cant argue with their employment and expenditure figures......BUT......lets see.     I still like supporting the smaller local businesses.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2248 on: August 01, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »
Thanks Dave, for Starbucks link........great P.R. on the face of it, and you cant argue with their employment and expenditure figures......BUT......lets see.     I still like supporting the smaller local businesses.
Here's a little story. We went into a coffee shop in Penrhyn Road, Colwyn Bay this morning for a spot of lunch. There was only a few people in, together with three staff. We looked at the Menu and saw that the Lunch Menu (which comprises 90% of the food available) was only available from 12pm. It was about 11.40am, so we asked if food was available. Not till 12, we were told! So, we just had drinks and spent our money elesewhere. The cafe in question lost £10+ that we would have spent there on food.

I thought to myself, I can go to Costa and get a Toastie or Sandwich at 7am in the morning, yet can't get similar from an independently owned cafe at 11.40am. Maybe that's why Costa is so successful.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2249 on: August 01, 2014, 03:23:25 pm »
Just when I am trying to stick up for the little guy....... :(