Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 651124 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »
    Thats it. I KNEW u would know the place!!!

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #646 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »
Amber Coffee shop in Colwyn Bay has a hand written sign in the door saying they're closed until further notice.  They have closed like this in the past and eventually reopened so to paraphrase Samuel Langhorne Clemons rumours of their demise may be greatly exaggerated.  Also all the tables, chairs, etc are still in there.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »
Amber Coffee shop in Colwyn Bay has a hand written sign in the door saying they're closed until further notice.  They have closed like this in the past and eventually reopened so to paraphrase Samuel Langhorne Clemons rumours of their demise may be greatly exaggerated.  Also all the tables, chairs, etc are still in there.
It originally opened as an Indian Restaurant, with the owners being from Rhyl. I can't remember if it was them or the current owners that had their windows repeatedly smashed, along with Darbeys chip shop across the road. I believe a message was pushed though the letter box of Darbeys saying 'go back to Rhyl'.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #648 on: January 09, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »
Can someone please try to explain why the closing down sale of Comet lasted only a few days before the store was finally empty but the closing down sale at JJB Sports has now probably been going on for about a month with no sign of it ending?  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #649 on: January 09, 2013, 07:59:02 pm »
I can explain it Bri.
Basically, JJB Sports went into Administration, and only a paltry 22 Stores were taken over by Sports Direct.

Llandudno was one of the very lucky ones. They have Sports Direct stock, and a shedload of old JJB stock to clear.
If you look carefully, you will see that the staff are now wearing Sports Direct uniforms!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #650 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:36 pm »
  Dont anyone go looking too carefully at the staff. Ive got an attractive twenty year old niece working there  Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #651 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:47 am »
  Dont anyone go looking too carefully at the staff. Ive got an attractive twenty year old niece working there  Mike

Mike.  Just thought I'd mention, Dont should have an apostrophe - Don't.  Ive should also - I've.  Surely a full stop is needed twixt there and Mike - there.  Mike

Sorry to be pedantic!  ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #652 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »

Mike.  Just thought I'd mention, Dont should have an apostrophe - Don't.  Ive should also - I've.  Surely a full stop is needed twixt there and Mike - there.  Mike

If you were really sorry you wouldn't have mentioned it. For someone who likes to criticise just about everybody or everything that isn't to your liking you take criticism against yourself very badly.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #653 on: January 10, 2013, 04:50:21 pm »

If you were really sorry you wouldn't have mentioned it. For someone who likes to criticise just about everybody or everything that isn't to your liking you take criticism against yourself very badly.

'twas a humerus repost at mike for his of totheir day.   All mistrals korsed bi the iPad.

Did you notice the Smiley?  They are supposed to indicate humor (American spelling). 
 :) :D ;D :( :P

What a waste of bandwidth!
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #654 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »
To SDQ

Perhaps you had better have a check back on many of your own posts, it seems to me there is a modicum of pot and kettle in your posting!    $uk $uk $uk
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #655 on: January 10, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
To SDQ

Perhaps you had better have a check back on many of your own posts, it seems to me there is a modicum of pot and kettle in your posting!    $uk $uk $uk

I rest my case!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #656 on: January 10, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »
  Hello Yorkie, It's O.K. I took it as a bit of a joke.
   Actually, I think its quite a serious point. I know perfectly well my apostrifies (I'm no good at all at spelling) and I actually hold a London Chamber of Commerce certificate in English language---I was taught by Mr John Buckland who was then the english teacher in Colwyn Bay County School. He later became the very first principal of Llandrillo tech, if it was called that in those days. It was in the present day Bod Alaw school buildings.
  However, back to my misgivings, I am basically lazy. Texting and emailing are making me more and more lazy on the keyboard and now I  am spending more and more time on Twitter --- and u definitely don't put apostr etc etc on there, u will use up your 140 letters allowance.
  So, whats our written language going to be like in ten years time? Language is a living thing, it changes and adapts constantly, and has done since man first learnt to talk.
  To have it completely correct, and get Mr Bucklands approval, I should have written "Do not" and "I have."  Also, and I'm not too sure of my grounds here, apostrophe. BUT---BUT--- what is an inverted comma. Are they the same thing? I'm not sure but I would put my money on inverted comma. Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #657 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:22 pm »
  Following on from my previous post, I have not got the time nor inclination to go looking for the answer.
  But, from over 60 years ago English classes, I am wondering if apostrophes go where you shorten say "Do not" to "don't" and inverted commas go with the possessive "s" i.e. quote "it's Yorkie's fault."
  Gosh,does'ent this forum get highbrow at times.  Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:15 pm »
It's tricky, because so many of our punctuation 'rules' owe their origins to Anglo Saxon, French and Latin. The contraction 'it's' is a good example of the inconsistencies English embodies. "It's" is actually a contraction of it is, whereas the possessive "its", meaning belonging to it, is actually spelt without an apostrophe. In general, the apostrophe is used to denote a contraction - as in "Yorkie's hat" which - in the original Anglo Saxon construction - was actually "Yorkie his hat".  If we're talking possessive with plurals, however, as in 'the members' hats', the apostrophe is used immediately following the plural form of the noun. We use some contractions without knowing that's what they are, too; a good example is the word 'none', which is actually a contraction of 'not one'. Thus, it's incorrect to say 'None of the men were there' as it should be 'none of the men was there'. Isn't language fun :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #659 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:35 pm »
i agree with u mike if u can read it + understand it what if it is sppelled wrong who gives a darn anyhow.