Author Topic: Everything to do with Shops  (Read 651123 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Everything to do with Shops
« Reply #630 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:47 pm »
Went into M&S the other day. Whose genius idea was it to put the sandwiches right down on the back wall of the store? Then, two of the four self service tills were broken. Rubbish!

Shops always put the most popular items at the far end of the store to get you to buy more, it's an old trick. It works the same  for exhibitions etc

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #631 on: November 18, 2012, 02:21:33 pm »
I suppose that philosophy must also apply to the tills when common sense suggests they should have relocated them to right near the exit.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »
Went into M&S the other day. Whose genius idea was it to put the sandwiches right down on the back wall of the store? Then, two of the four self service tills were broken. Rubbish!

Shops always put the most popular items at the far end of the store to get you to buy more, it's an old trick. It works the same  for exhibitions etc
It doesn't work for me as I'll just go to Greggs instead.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2012, 04:05:40 pm »

But they don't.  Sweets and other nibbles are often placed at the tills, the last place to visit, but in fact, Supermarkets normally place fresh fruit and veg at the entrance with alcohol and other 'guilty' goods at the end of the walkways. The theory is you buy the items which seem 'better' for you, then finally end up with those less likely to be 'wholesome'. The move of the self-service tills to the rear doens't make any sense, either; stores are using those to save money on staff, but that won't work if you have to detour to use them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #634 on: November 18, 2012, 04:42:31 pm »
Sweets and nibbles are displayed at the checkout to trigger impulse buyers to buy what they might not have otherwise considered.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #635 on: November 18, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »
Sweets and nibbles are displayed at the checkout to trigger impulse buyers to buy what they might not have otherwise considered.

Indeed;  but they're not at the far end of the store. In fact, supermarkets use a variety of strategies, with none actually being a standard. Asda and Tesco, for instance, adopt broadly similar layout designs, but M & S change their strategy every other week, it seems :-) One strategy which is, common, however, is to place cheaper products on the lower shelves. If you're buying something, always check the shelves below the one on which you see what you want.  Often, it will have an own-brand product at a significantly cheaper price.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #636 on: November 18, 2012, 06:33:51 pm »
Shops always tweek where their stock are placed to make you look for them and in the process might buy something extra. The problem with this if you do it too often or do too much of a change it'll have the opposite effect. Tesco Junction are notorious for this and have lost a lot of customers.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #637 on: November 18, 2012, 08:22:32 pm »
M and S have always had a policy of keeping foodstuffs right at the back of the store. By chance I happen to know that on a suitability exam they used to give to potential trianees (40 years ago) one of the questions asked why they did that. You got nil marks if you said Public Health.
   The real reason is to get footfall through the profitable clothing sector.
   Sorry DaveR, they dont want anyone dashing in for a quick sarney and going out again. Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #638 on: November 18, 2012, 08:29:51 pm »
   Just posted on this thread. As soon as it came up on the forum screen I realised I had been looking at the previous page and I had missed everyone elses replies. Sorry to waste readers time Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #639 on: November 30, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
Stead and Simpson have now closed and what has happened to Cadwallader's ice cream shop? It said earlier this year that it was closing for refurbishment, but it looks suspiciously empty.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »
Stead and Simpson have now closed and what has happened to Cadwallader's ice cream shop? It said earlier this year that it was closing for refurbishment, but it looks suspiciously empty.
Information about their Llandudno cafe has been removed from the website:

http://www.cadwaladersicecream.co.uk/our-cafes/default.aspx?id=9&Llandudno,%20Conwy

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #641 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »
  Frozen screen?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #642 on: December 01, 2012, 08:43:13 am »
Information about their Llandudno cafe has been removed from the website:

http://www.cadwaladersicecream.co.uk/our-cafes/default.aspx?id=9&Llandudno,%20Conwy

Yes, I had looked that up and seen that their Llandudno outlet had been removed. Shame, I wonder if anyone else will take it. The whole thing seemed to be done very quietly.
re frozen screen-- perhaps they also had frozen assets!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #643 on: December 01, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »
   I hope DaveR hasn't already posted this news, it's up his street.
   Llandudno appears to have a new coffee house every week. Alas, Colwyn Bay has just lost one. It's in Station road, next to Peacocks. I,m not sure of the name, just one word though. Smart. Has every appearance of making a sudden departure. It's most definitely closed. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: December 01, 2012, 04:18:54 pm »
   I hope DaveR hasn't already posted this news, it's up his street.
   Llandudno appears to have a new coffee house every week. Alas, Colwyn Bay has just lost one. It's in Station road, next to Peacocks. I,m not sure of the name, just one word though. Smart. Has every appearance of making a sudden departure. It's most definitely closed. Mike
Amber? Nooo...that was one of the few decent places to go in Cowlyn Bay!