Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 343476 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1125 on: May 15, 2021, 01:20:23 pm »
Hugo, I wasn't sure but, after checking........

All parts of a rhododendron bush, including the leaves, stems and blooms, are toxic to both cats and dogs. Only a small amount of rhododendron is needed to cause health problems. Smaller dogs will typically experience more severe, toxic effects than large dogs after eating the same amount of rhododendron.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1126 on: May 15, 2021, 01:26:50 pm »
The goats seem to leave them alone, perhaps they have some inner knowledge.  Not so Camellias, Euonymous, Acers and Californian Lilac ! Those are trying to recover, but I think the Camellia is a lost cause.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1127 on: May 16, 2021, 09:37:05 am »
Hugo, I wasn't sure but, after checking........

All parts of a rhododendron bush, including the leaves, stems and blooms, are toxic to both cats and dogs. Only a small amount of rhododendron is needed to cause health problems. Smaller dogs will typically experience more severe, toxic effects than large dogs after eating the same amount of rhododendron.

Thanks for that info Steve, it was only when I saw his jaws chomping on quite a thick lower branch of the Rhododendron that I decided to fence off all the border areas in the garden and I started that the next day.     He's had no side effects from his actions apart from a lot of verbals from me
You'll find that most things in the garden are harmful to dogs and the Laburnum must be one of the worst ones as everything on it is poisonous to animals but thankfully our Laburnum is in the front garden where he doesn't go
My fence has survived attempts by the puppy to get into the restricted area of the garden but I noticed today that the Badger had been digging and got into the restricted area so I'll have to repair that asap

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1128 on: May 19, 2021, 09:46:28 am »
Visits to Bodnant Garden must be booked in advance on the website, and tickets are released every Friday for the following week. For example, those planning to visit for the week of 24 to 30 May will be able to book their tickets from Friday 21 May. Booking closes at 3pm the day before the visit, therefore visitors won’t be able to book on the day; https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodnant-garden

cont  https://www.wales247.co.uk/everything-you-need-to-know-about-visiting-the-laburnum-arch-at-bodnant-garden?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline DVT

« Reply #1129 on: May 19, 2021, 04:32:31 pm »
This was the laburnum arch earlier this afternoon ... should be fully out next week if we have warm weather, and will last for about three weeks.
Sorry about the smudge - fingerprint on the lens!

The garden will also be open 8am to 8pm, last entry 6.30pm

If you're there on Wednesday or Thursday from 2 to 8pm say hello!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1130 on: May 23, 2021, 01:42:07 pm »
Warning over 10 common garden plants that are ‘severely’ toxic to dogs
As we spend more time outdoors here are the plants to keep your pooch away from

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/warning-over-10-common-garden-20631709

Offline DVT

« Reply #1131 on: June 10, 2021, 09:27:54 am »
Bodnant laburnum arch ... afternoon of Wednesday 9th June ... rare moment when empty!

Watch HTV News at 6.30pm tonight (Thursday 10th) !!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1132 on: June 15, 2021, 02:57:09 pm »
I have three Spiraea in my garden and this variety is always the last one to flower.    I think that this one is the variety called Bridal Wreath but am not 100 per cent sure

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1133 on: June 15, 2021, 03:36:13 pm »
That's a specimen and a half, also you have helped in identifying one of our inherited shrubs,  I recognised  the flower but not the shape, but looking up Spiraea, I found ours, it is a Spiraea nipponica Snowmound, it is acting as a climber, and made a good display up until recently.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1134 on: June 16, 2021, 10:01:41 am »
I'm glad that the photo helped you to identify your variety Steve.     Spiraea shrubs are very attractive and hardy too.     Once they have flowered I just get my hedge cutter out and give them a close cut, ready for flowering in the next season

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1135 on: June 28, 2021, 05:55:46 pm »
I've got a Pieris Forest flame that looked good earlier this year when viewed from the house and also one of my favourite shrubs called the Calico Bush which looks good when viewed from the back of the garden
Not knowing much about plants I made the fatal flaw of planting the two shrubs too close together and now they have emerged into one bush.
After the delicate pink flowers have gone on the Calico Bush I'll just get my hedge cutter out and trim them both

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1136 on: June 29, 2021, 01:03:58 pm »
I haven't bothered with the garden much this year as I've spent a lot of time putting up fences to protect the garden from our puppy.    When I saw what looked like long grass in a border I was tempted to just pull it up but had second thoughts just in case it would be a flower so I'm glad that I didn't do that as the blue flowers look quite nice.
There are also a few Common Spotted Orchids around the garden but there would be no chance of them surviving if our puppy was allowed in that part of the garden         ;D

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1137 on: June 29, 2021, 01:56:02 pm »
Hugo, don't worry about the pup, experts say the first 10 years are the worst  ;)  and I think your blue flower is a Campanula

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1138 on: June 29, 2021, 02:47:38 pm »
Thanks Steve for identifying that Blue Flower,  I've got a similar looking plant that hasn't flowered yet in another part of the border so it'll be nice to see what colour flower that is.

10 YEARS !       :o      At least I will be able to take him for a walk when I get my new electric car     

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1139 on: June 29, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »
Could the blue one be Canterbury Bells?
Just lost my poor dog aged 10 1/2 and yes he was a devil all his life, but it doesn't help losing him.  :'(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.