Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 343459 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1050 on: May 03, 2020, 07:24:26 pm »
I did hint at going for my daily walk there - I saw somewhere that you were allowed to drive to get your exercise as long as the time exercising was longer than the time driving - so 10 mins drive, 2 hours walk, 10 mins drive home would seem to comply with the restrictions - and I wouldn't have contact with anyone, other than from a distance.

It's strange that England and Wales have completely opposite views on driving to start your exercise.     The English rule is as you have stated above and that got a lot of criticism from many sources as it didn't even make a comment on the distance you could drive or the time taken for the drive.
The Wales requirement is quite clear.   You cannot drive to somewhere to start your exercise except under exceptional circumstances and even then it should only be for a short distance
I'm like you DVT,   I just wish that I was able to drive for about 10 to 15 minutes away to start my exercise walk.      I know people are breaking the rules around here as there are more cars on the road now except perhaps for the A55

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1051 on: May 05, 2020, 04:12:54 pm »
We look like a small market garden at the moment, seedlings and cuttings etc everywhere, not a south facing window sill available, numerous, pots and tubs outside, space at a premium, and I read this.................

Temperatures to plummet to freezing as cold Arctic winds sweep across UK

There is a chance of frost over the weekend as warm conditions are replaced by a cold snap

I know the operative word is "CHANCE", but on the offCHANCE.......... :-\

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/temperatures-plummet-freezing-cold-arctic-18200856

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1052 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:31 pm »
Let's hope that the forecast is wrong Steve, I've just put 140 Geraniums out in pots and a number of Begonias too.      I've actually got a few Geraniums in a pot from last Winter and they are now in flower so I'd hate to lose all of those.
Fingers crossed that it'll never happen after all our hard work

Online SteveH

« Reply #1053 on: May 18, 2020, 10:10:57 am »
The world famous Laburnum Arch at Bodnant Garden has bloomed early putting on a stunning display.

The 140-year-old arch has produced its earliest blooms for a decade - with it's golden flowers blooming two weeks earlier than they did in 2010.
Normally, it flowers at the end of May but the arch reached full bloom on May 15 - almost a week earlier than last year.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bodnant-gardens-laburnum-arch-earliest-18266252

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1054 on: May 18, 2020, 10:44:42 am »
It looks fabulous and it's such a shame that the public are not able to see it in its full glory.         I wonder if DVT is back in his old workplace?

Online DVT

« Reply #1055 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:27 am »
I wonder if DVT is back in his old workplace?

I wish!

... but staff and volunteers are kept up-to-date with the weekly newsletter containing many photos, some of which are on the Facebook page, along with updates and also I am writing an article each week recalling my childhood days of growing up there - not in the hall, I lived at the bottom of the garden - I know my place!

... the garden seems to be looking better than ever, thanks to the small number of gardeners doing essential maintenance things, but also there are no visitors to tread on the paths - there is blue campanula spreading across the steps that lead down to the canal pond!

... some of the grass areas are not being mown, the wild flowers being allowed to grow and there are plans for a wild flower survey when things get back to (a sort of) normal.

... wildlife is also on the increase - as well as the Canada Geese (with 3 goslings) there is a family of swans (with 7 cygnets) and I am told the kingfisher is often seen, hope there's more than one and breeding, whilst there is also evidence of badgers, foxes and otters.  Plus lots of ducks (mallards) which are appearing on the top lawn nearer the hall!

... the website and facebook is being kept up-to-date and here is hope of being able to open soon, but it could well be on a very limited basis.  I think it will be a while longer before I'm allowed back, as I fall into the "at risk" category.

... I am really envious of the two staff members who are in, checking the place, taking photos for the social media and enjoying the peacefulness.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1056 on: May 18, 2020, 10:18:17 pm »
What a fascinating and fantastic place to work DVT no wonder you are missing it so much.   You could have taken loads of photos of the wildlife if you were still there
You must be itching to get back to work there and I hope that you don't have too long a wait.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1057 on: May 19, 2020, 02:59:44 pm »
I needed a bag of compost yesterday so I went to Talgoed Nursery in Glan Conwy.      The place was fairly busy but they have strict safety procedures in force so you always felt as safe as possible.           &shake&
Numbers are limited to about 25 people  and admittance is one out and one in and the trolleys are all sanitised before and after use.  Inside the building you have to follow the directional arrows so the shopping experience is as safe as they can make it.
They did have some nice plants there and more are expected on Thursday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1058 on: May 23, 2020, 12:22:53 pm »
I thought that I'd better take a photo of my Laburnum tree today before the gales blow everything away.

I reckon from that one tree the flowers etc would fill two Bryson brown bins so I wonder how many would be needed for that fantastic Laburnum Arch in Bodnant

Online SteveH

« Reply #1059 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:33 pm »
You could be building your own arch these days ....  :-\  A couple of our friends went walking in Happy Valley, and said the arch was looking good there as well, photos from, The Friends of Happy Valley and Haulfre Gardens FB site.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1060 on: May 23, 2020, 03:48:35 pm »
They have done a really great job on that arch in Happy Valley and I like the facr that it is on a curve too.       The gardeners from Bodnant  helped to train it in recent years

Online DVT

« Reply #1061 on: May 23, 2020, 04:29:32 pm »
I thought that I'd better take a photo of my Laburnum tree today before the gales blow everything away.

I reckon from that one tree the flowers etc would fill two Bryson brown bins so I wonder how many would be needed for that fantastic Laburnum Arch in Bodnant

The Bodnant one actually gets dead-headed before the seeds drop - that's another of those meticulous tasks the gardeners carry out!  Not sure what will happen this year with only a couple of them working.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1062 on: May 23, 2020, 05:06:38 pm »
That's one mighty big task for just two people.     I bet that you're itching to get back in those grounds DVT and who can blame you

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1063 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:02 pm »
This Spirea has  just started to flower thanks to the warm Spring weather

Online SteveH

« Reply #1064 on: June 01, 2020, 11:04:48 am »
Some photos from the garden over the weekend.....

The potted bright pink flowers were due for the bin, after waiting months for a sign of life, we were about to give up, but on Sunday we noticed one had taken off spectacularly,  we think the other will catch up.