Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 342661 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1170 on: June 09, 2022, 03:11:02 pm »
I've not pruned this Spirea for a few years now and it has given a nice display this year.    I think the variety is called "Bridal Wreath" but can't be too sure,
I don't think that I'll prune it this year so it's safe from the hedge cutter and as it's in the front garden it's safe from Teddy our dog  AKA the garden wrecker
Some more Poppies have appeared after I planted them last year and they are a purple colour although the photo doesn't produce the correct colo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1171 on: June 11, 2022, 10:43:18 am »
Our Calico Bush has now come into flower and there are numerous bunches of pale pink bell like flowers on it.       It's one of my favourite plants but when I planted it I made the mistake of planting another shrub too near to it and now both bushes have merged together

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1172 on: June 11, 2022, 10:51:06 am »
Your recent garden photos are all looking good, despite the "Terror", I must get the camera out, as we have our best display of climbing roses this year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1173 on: June 11, 2022, 12:31:29 pm »
Those flowering shrubs have done well because they are strictly out of bounds to Teddy.      I'll look forward to seeing your photos of the Roses as they are such an attractive shrub

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1174 on: June 11, 2022, 02:14:53 pm »
Made the effort, before the wind demolished the whole bush, the purple flowers are my favourites the smell fills the house and garden, and the hydrangea is just coming into bloom.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1175 on: June 11, 2022, 02:16:47 pm »
File too big, so have split posts.....

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1176 on: June 11, 2022, 02:21:09 pm »
and again

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1177 on: June 12, 2022, 03:53:16 pm »
Thanks Steve for posting those photos, that's a spectacular display of Roses.   It must be nice having the scent of the flowers wafting into your place       

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1178 on: June 15, 2022, 09:43:23 am »
Thanks Hugo, I did forget to mention, Mrs H's vegetable garden, we are currently enjoying fresh lettuce, spring onions, green beans and very tasty strawberries, and looking forward to the tomato crop, and if that is as good as last year we are onto a winning streak.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1179 on: June 20, 2022, 05:51:20 pm »
I've had this Peony for a few years now but it's tall and needs supporting when it's growing.      I think that it's a variety called " Bowl of Beauty " and although the flowers are very attractive I only seem to get one or two flowers on the plant

Offline DVT

« Reply #1180 on: June 20, 2022, 07:19:43 pm »
Hugo ...
... have you ever pruned the peony?  As with many plants, pruning will ensure that the plant concentrates on new growth rather than keep older growth going.  Sometimes a severe cut may do the trick and give you a bushier plant with more flowers.  But seek professional advice as to when, how and where - I am basing my statement on what I see happen in Bodnant to quite a lot of plants!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1181 on: June 21, 2022, 12:15:32 pm »
Thanks for the tip DVT but my plant is not a tree Peony so you can't prune it, mine is a herbaceous Peony.   I've just copied the iinfo  below from Google,    Perhaps in years to come more blooms will grow on it

##tree peony?
They bear large, often double flowers in whites, pinks, reds and yellows. Unlike tree peonies, herbaceous peonies die back to ground level in winter. Paeonia lactiflora 'Bowl of Beauty' has incredible pink flowers with a central core of tiny, strap-like petals with a wonderful fragrance.

As an aside I had a nice chat this morning with an old rally friend of yours, Roy lives near " Dog Mountain " as we call it and we often meet up while out walking our dogs

Offline DVT

« Reply #1182 on: June 21, 2022, 01:24:36 pm »
There seems to be conflicting advice on google - tends to be that herbaceous peonies should be dead-headed, then in autumn cut back almost to ground level.  Tree peonies just get dead-headed.  Either way important that pruning is not until the end of the season as the leaves are still working to gather in food (photosynthesis).

I will see if I can get advice from a gardener in next couple of days, see what they do with the peonies - as I've said I'm not a gardener!

My friend used to run a filling station and garage opposite M&K (now Aldi) in Old Colwyn.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1183 on: June 22, 2022, 10:24:36 am »
Thanks DVT for looking in to it for me, it's really appreciated.   In the past the leaves on my peonies have died off to ground level and I've cut them off as they  look unsightly.
Like you have mentioned,  Google often gives conflicting advice on certain things and one report I read said that when you do cut the leaves down to ground level  you shouldn't  put the leaves in your composting bin!    The article never said why you shouldn't add them to your compost

Your friend did tell me about that garage and also the car rallies and he is a really interesting guy to talk to

Offline DVT

« Reply #1184 on: June 22, 2022, 04:59:25 pm »
Hugo ... I have had a chat with one of the gardeners today and there are rights and wrongs!

If it is a tree type then all you do is dead-head it.  If it's the herbaceous type then dead-head then, at the end of the year but before frost, cut it down to ground level - seems that is what you are doing, which is correct.

Another factor is the depth of the soil it is sitting in - should not be much deeper than the tuber, soil abut 1"-2" above the "buds".  Important to feed it in early spring, you can also mulch it over winter.  Also should not be allowed to dry out, so some light watering is OK in long dry spells.

Hope that all helps.

If you're ever in Bodnant on a Wedneaday or Thursday ask for me!