Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625926 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »
There's no street light in Conwy again tonight. You don't realise how much difference they make. The streets are pitch black. You can't see the pavement in front of you. I was told last night the council are conserving energy "so if the xmas light are on then the street lights are off" not sure if that's true though.
 ?{}?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »
There's no street light in Conwy again tonight. You don't realise how much difference they make. The streets are pitch black. You can't see the pavement in front of you. I was told last night the council are conserving energy "so if the xmas light are on then the street lights are off" not sure if that's true though.
 ?{}?
Which streets? They were certainly all on last Saturday and the Xmas lights were on as well.

Light Pollution by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »
I noticed them off last night on my way to my mates, they're off tonight too. Its all the street lights Dave  :o

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
I noticed them off last night on my way to my mates, they're off tonight too. Its all the street lights Dave  :o
Scary! Must be a fault, I'd have thought? Has anyone contacted CCBC or Joan Vaughan? Send her an email and get her earning her money:
cllr.joan.vaughan@conwy.gov.uk

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:37 am »
Maybe it's not such a bad thing:

"Bright city lights exacerbate air pollution, according to a study by US scientists. Their research indicates that the glare thrown up into the sky interferes with chemical reactions.

These reactions would normally help clean the air during the night of the fumes emitted by motor cars and factories during the day.

The study was presented at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco."

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
Newer street lights are designed to minimise light pollution, by directing all of the light downwards. Good lighting in public areas is important to create a sense of safety and well being, as well as actually deterring crime.  :votive:

Berry Street/Castle Street, Conwy by SnakeCorp, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:05:46 am by DaveR »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:17 pm »
Monday all street light were off, tuesday the main streets were lit but all side streets etc were in darkness, I was just concerned as pensioners etc would find it incredibly difficult to see. Gail (although she IS a calamity) fell up the kerb.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »
I agree. I nearly fell over last Thursday night. I couldnt see where I was going!! Thank goodness a young lady helped me along.  Mike  P.S. Not in Conwy though

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2010, 05:27:02 pm »
Yes it's fun again in and around Conwy with the snow back again - 4" on top of my car roof at present, and roads a bit tricky at best! One or two cars are still going past us very slowly towards Henryd, and we have seen several people walking - it must be best part of two miles from here to Henryd if that's where they are going to.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:04 pm »
Henryd Road a little earlier and yes it was a bit slippery. The snow plough had been down a little earlier too. However the gritter has just gone up so it should be a bit better.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:49:59 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
We should have left the umbrella up!!

Anyone for tea??

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2010, 09:02:35 am »
What's the bump?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2010, 10:57:00 am »
What's the bump?

Good question Ian. Perhaps you could move the pic to the "quiz" thread so we can have a guess.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2010, 12:25:25 pm »
The same picture almost, taken this morning after the overnight snow - some more tonight and the "bump" might disappear!

The "bump" (my wife tells me, because she put it there), is one of those tortoise shaped solar lights.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »
I walked down to Gyffin Village Shop earlier and was struck by the number of vehicles parked and obviously abandoned last night. The car park was full, cars on either side of the bridge as well as on the main road, in New Street and up Henryd Road, and all blanketed in quite a depth of snow.