Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626191 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2014, 08:50:18 am »
There's a new free cash machine appeared in Colwyn Bay just opposite Cash Generator.  It seems odd that they're popping up pretty much all over the place with the exception of Conwy.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #976 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:28 pm »
It seems likely that Costa Coffee will be opening in Conwy, in the old Council Office on Castle Street.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #977 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
What is most worrying is I've heard a rumour that Wethers are now eyeing up the Conwy Civic Hall.  I still feel the farce over Dylan's on the Quay was just to divert the attention from the inevitable fact that Wethers will move in,  so that will be Costa Coffee and Wethers (if true) siphoning cash from the local community and how many independents will these businesses oust out.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #978 on: March 05, 2014, 12:26:51 pm »
What is most worrying is I've heard a rumour that Wethers are now eyeing up the Conwy Civic Hall.  I still feel the farce over Dylan's on the Quay was just to divert the attention from the inevitable fact that Wethers will move in,  so that will be Costa Coffee and Wethers (if true) siphoning cash from the local community and how many independents will these businesses oust out.

Nobody forces people to go to Wetherspoons. I personally have no idea why so many people do. More atmostphere in the library in the civic hall than there would be in a wetherspoons

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #979 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:37 pm »
On the plus side a new Wetherspoons might mean a new cash machine  Z**.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #980 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:09 pm »
Plus. I dont like Weatherspoons, but more than half the pubs in Conwy need a shake up, they are living in the past, cheap wine and crap beer. (except The Albion and The Castle. ) I am hoping the new Time Bar might serve good wine and God forbid cocktails.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #981 on: March 06, 2014, 08:02:00 am »
I personally find Wetherspoons very depressing places, particularly the Llandudno one which is just a cavernous space. Some are a lot better, the recently opened one in the former Castle Hotel in Ruthin, for example, which is lots of smaller rooms and has a far better feel to it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #982 on: March 06, 2014, 10:57:01 am »
I personally find Wetherspoons very depressing places, particularly the Llandudno one which is just a cavernous space. Some are a lot better, the recently opened one in the former Castle Hotel in Ruthin, for example, which is lots of smaller rooms and has a far better feel to it.

The one in Llandudno is monsterous. The place can look absolutely empty and depressing with about 20-30 people.
Put them in a normal sized pub and it would be packed out

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #983 on: March 06, 2014, 11:36:31 am »
Am I the odd one out?  I have never been in Weatherspoons!   Seems as though I haven't missed much!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #984 on: March 07, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »
Really like what they've done with The Palladium in Llandudno. It would have been so much easier/cheaper just to put in a false ceiling but instead they've kept a lot of the original features. There's just one problem with Weatherspoon's - if you go on your own it's a struggle to order food because you need a table number but someone could pinch your table whilst you are ordering at the till and then they get what you've paid for!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #985 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »
I was walking in the Carneddau near Aber today and could smell smoke coming from somewhere and as we came down the slopes saw a cloud of smoke coming from the slopes of Tal Y Fan.
I'm not sure whether it was a controlled fire or not but it must have been a big fire judging from the amount of smoke billowing upwards.

Offline mull

« Reply #986 on: March 13, 2014, 09:58:34 am »
No muir burning happened on Mull yet, ground is far to wet after all the rain we have had.
Must have had much less rain in North Wales.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #987 on: March 13, 2014, 10:51:54 am »
There was a little article in this weeks Pioneer from North Wales Fire Service, praising the farmers who this year are now reporting their controlled burning directly to them, thus avoiding costly callouts.  $thanx$ and for the green members of the forum don't get to upset by the burning as they are in fact carbon neutral. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #988 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:35 am »
for the green members of the forum don't get to upset by the burning as they are in fact carbon neutral.

How is that worked out?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #989 on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
How is that worked out?

Its something to do with how long the Carbon in anything we combust has been locked in. Last years growth is rated as carbon neutral hence the abundance of log burners that are permitted and use throughout the EEC $eu 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)