Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 636319 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »
Ian, I think one of the problems for some folk is to quote a quote from within a quote as when multiple quotes are posted.  Even that sounds complicated but I'm sure you know what I mean!

If you have three quotes, one inside the other, it can be confusing as to where you start and end the cut.    And sometimes a bit difficult also, unless one is on a 22" screen! :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:55 pm »
A great night was ruined by trigger-happy bullies. 

They had guns?!! That really  is shocking and totally over the top  :o

(Ian I did that to test what you said, but it doesn't say the original quote was by Fester  :( )

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #917 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:07 pm »
That's true, but I think most folk are so used to the quoting convention that they can easily see the original posts.

Ian, I think one of the problems for some folk is to quote a quote from within a quote as when multiple quotes are posted.  Even that sounds complicated but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Yes, but I doubt you really need to quote all the nested quotes.  Even so, it's simple to do using the copy and paste method and it doesn't clutter up the forum.  The problem is that complete quotes simply confuse people and are often skimmed by folk who can't be bothered reading them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #918 on: October 26, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »
Quoting selectively. After you have decided that you want to use material in quoted form, quote only the portions of the text specifically relevant to your point. Think of the text in terms of units-- words, phrases, sentences, and groups of sentences (paragraphs, stanzas)--and use only the units you need. If it is particular words or phrases that "prove" your point, you do not need to quote the sentences they appear in; rather, incorporate the words and phrases into sentences expressing your own ideas.

Just a little quote I found!  UNQUOTE.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #919 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »
£ 8.00 to get in.  :(

We have not been for a few years so we decided to go over early and paid the £8 each for a Conwy Feast wristband.

The tented area down on the quay near the bridges simply seemed to be an extension of the retail stands elsewhere in Conwy, unless we missed something.

However, up in the Vicarage Car Park we watched some interesting cookery demonstrations from top chefs like Michael Cheetham, Head Chef of Bodysgallen Hall, and Bryn Williams, who will be taking over the restaurant at Porth Eirias in January.

We also listened to a knowledgeable and amusing talk on growing vegetables by Medwyn Williams from Anglesey who has won numerous awards at the Chelsea Flower Show etc.

We stayed for about four hours in Conwy including supporting the Mayor of Conwy’s Charity Coffee Morning in the Guildhall.

Do I enjoy cooking – No.

Do I grow vegetables – No.

Was it worth £8 each? – Yes.

Will I go again tomorrow? – No.

Offline nwpo

HBSC Conwy to close in Feb 2014.
« Reply #920 on: November 11, 2013, 11:21:04 am »
Chris Dearden, BBC reporter for Conwy, Gwynedd and Anglesey is reporting this morning that the HSBC in Conwy is to close in February with the Cash Machine being removed as well.

https://twitter.com/C_Dearden/status/399839313829330944

Absolutely ridiculous decision to remove the Cash Machine, that will leave Conwy with no 24 hour cash machine and how long until Spar start charging or preventing people using unless they buy something.

Guto Bebb is asking people who are concerned about this to contact his urgently : http://www.gutobebbmp.co.uk/contact

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #921 on: November 11, 2013, 03:27:07 pm »
Bizarre decision, as HSBC left the cash machine in place when they closed their Abersoch branch, a small albeit busy village in comparison to Conwy.

I see the HSBC branch in Beaumaris is also to close.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #922 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:30 pm »
Perhaps the large Nat West branch, (beneath Gamlins), could install a cash machine?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #923 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »
What a crazy thing to do if Conwy looses the cash point and hsbc. So many visitors as well as locals will have problems. such a shame!

Offline nwpo

« Reply #924 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »
HSBC's justification for removing the cash machine is:

Customers also have access to their accounts, to withdraw and pay in cash, at any UK post office and all residents of Conwy will continue to have access to other banking facilities and several “fee free” ATMs within the immediate area.

The axing of Conwy’s HSBC follows the closure of the town’s Barclays ATM in High Street.

Where within the immediate area is there another 24 hour cash machine, fee free or not, or are we supposed to use the frequently empty one in the Spar?  The next nearest one (AFAIK) is at Tesco!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #925 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »
The is a Link ATM in the Village Shop in Gyffin but I think there is a fee, as there seems to be on most Link ATMs.

A lot of retail places offer cash back too but I understand there is a maximum of £50.

Offline nwpo

« Reply #926 on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
The is a Link ATM in the Village Shop in Gyffin but I think there is a fee, as there seems to be on most Link ATMs.

A lot of retail places offer cash back too but I understand there is a maximum of £50.

My point exactly and the Village Shop shuts at 9pm (earlier in Winter). There are no other 24 hour cash machines.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #927 on: November 12, 2013, 04:32:25 pm »
I can't understand the fuss.   I have never, ever, used an ATM!  I always draw cash from the Bank counter, and use my Credit Card for 95% of my purchases, which I settle in full every month.  I get a "cash back" bonus every year end and have even used my card to buy a car!
Not suggesting everyone could do as I do, but at least I will never be the subject of an ATM scam!   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #928 on: November 12, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »
I always draw cash from the Bank counter
How would you do that when the bank branch has closed down?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #929 on: November 12, 2013, 05:30:58 pm »
I always draw cash from the Bank counter
How would you do that when the bank branch has closed down?

Go to another branch!  Or have you a better suggestion?

Also I have accounts with more than one bank, and a car.  I can also get on a bus, or if absolutely desperate, call a taxi!   

But you ask. . . . What if the car is broken down, the buses are on strike, and no money for a taxi?   There is always Shank's Pony, and if the horse is dead. . . . .

I bloody shoot myself!!!   What would you do?   :D
Cicero