Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 643109 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #855 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:52 pm »
... and I have never understood how the 'average speed camera' can actually work.

I have encountered them many times, and I try to stick to the limit, despite always seeing drivers flying past me at a higher speed.  They don't seem to care, so can they actually work?

For example,  I pass a camera doing 55mph, (the limit being 50mph say) and I change lanes regularly... then how can the next camera accurately recognise my vehicle?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #856 on: January 06, 2013, 11:03:11 pm »
Very easy, number plate recognition, they measure the time you take to cover a fixed distance, be cautious when they are operating!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #857 on: January 07, 2013, 07:27:36 am »
worst place for these is down on the M1, M25 and M20.   They have them in great numbers and you cannot tell which piece of road is being monitored as it could be between any two cameras!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #858 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »
They are not operational until the 13th of January when the roadworks start up in the tunnel for a month

The Welsh news this morning said the work in Conwy tunnel starts today so the cameras are probably now in operation.
Valar Morghulis

Offline dwsi

« Reply #859 on: January 07, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
Yellow signs on the A55 says the work starts on the 13th for 4 weeks

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #860 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:24 pm »
  Yorkie you surprise me. Why should you want to know which bit of road is being monitored? Just drive within the signed speed limits and then you will have no bother (says he, who picked up a speeding ticket in Deganwy only about a month ago) mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #861 on: January 07, 2013, 04:23:14 pm »

The Welsh news this morning said the work in Conwy tunnel starts today so the cameras are probably now in operation.

There's a good way to find out!     ^*^0
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #862 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
No bollards, signs, men or equipment or traffic chaos anywhere near the tunnel today!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #863 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
  Yorkie you surprise me. Why should you want to know which bit of road is being monitored? Just drive within the signed speed limits and then you will have no bother (says he, who picked up a speeding ticket in Deganwy only about a month ago) mike

Personally I think this is another cash cow

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #864 on: January 07, 2013, 07:37:05 pm »

Personally I think this is another cash cow

If they've been installed just for the protection of the workforce whilst the lights in the tunnels are changed then I support the decision as I've seen a lot of ferry traffic exceeding the 40mph in the early hours when routine maintenance is carried out. I wonder if they'll decide to leave them there once the work is completed though.
Valar Morghulis

Offline dwsi

« Reply #865 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42:44 pm »
I agree, especially overnight but the workers have worked on the tunnels for nearly 25 years without the need of these cameras. Why are they needed now? And aren't they working in a closed tunnel while traffic is in contraflow in the other tunnel?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: February 15, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
Fire Service attending a fire in Berry Street, Conwy, this evening (video):
Fire Service called to house in Conwy 15/2/13 Clip #2

Offline Linda

« Reply #867 on: March 08, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »
Sad to see Conwy Mussel Fisheries compromised.  Such a draw to visitors etc and again local businesses affected with red tape  :(

Offline Linda

« Reply #868 on: May 10, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »
Just a reminder of the Pirate Weekend in Conwy(my second home) as my children live in that area. So join the fun, It was really good with
the cannons and muskets last year and folk dressed as pirates very colourful and different.

Offline Linda

« Reply #869 on: May 15, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »
Had a short visit to the Pirate Weekend on Sunday apparently we missed some stuff as it all went off early, nevertheless had fun with our  2 year old Grandson him dressed up as a pirate, whilst daughter manned the NCT baby tent. Some amazing costumes and makeup ,all very colourful, some great dancing. Morris dancers dressed as Pirates and amazing belly dancers dressed as Pirates molls. Walk the plank by
the RNLI into the river they went. We took the harbour boat ride as our Grandson thought it was a Pirate ship with the Jolly Roger flag and the captain dressed up as another pirate. Ha Ha rrrr! Jim lad. I thought it was all very colourful and atmospheric around the harbour, loved it. Love the Pirate theme. Also looks like Conwy harbour has been given some extra sand too on its little beach area.