Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626837 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #840 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »
That will teach me not to try to correct DaveR (tail between my legs).  but can I claim a partial victory. I first drove a coach from Rhyl to the Castle (Cinema or Bingo) full of bingo ladies == they were all ladies, men never seemed to take to bingo ==  in 1985 and there were no films then' Actually I used to snatch an hours kip up in the old projection room.
Oh yes, I remember you telling me this, Mike.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #841 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »
J D Wetherspoon have confirmed that they are interesting in opening a pub in Conwy. The Palace is the only building of a suitable size. Bad news for nearly every other pub in Conwy.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #842 on: November 07, 2012, 08:56:39 pm »
    Yes, a similar situation to when the early Kwik Save arrived in town. Eventually all the local small grocers gave up broken hearted and broke.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #843 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »
Dave and Mike, I went to the last night of the bingo last Thursday in Conwy.   The area manager came to oversee the night, he callled the last housebeccause he said he had called the first housere in 1980.   Hope that helps with the date.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #844 on: November 13, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
Most of the pubs in Conwy town are Pub-co owned and so therefor Landlords are pretty much governed on the price of their pints.  Maybe with Wetherspoons coming on the patch they'll have to cut landlords some slack and charge them less on their barrels.  I can see some places will struggle non the less though.  Saying that wetherspoons are no longer that cheap either.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #845 on: November 13, 2012, 11:55:57 pm »
Correct Pendragon!

As concerns the breakfast menu, Wetherspoons reduced the cost of coffee etc, a few months ago, as a sweetener to get rid of the old loyalty card scheme.

But last week, they jacked up all their prices by between 5 and 10%
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #846 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:37 am »
Mixed news as concerns the shops in Conwy High St.

At the bottom of the street, (on the left as you look pp the street) there are three shops which are closing down.
Firstly, the pottery shop is to become I believe a florists, (under the ownership of the people who run the Coffee Lounge 4 doors up)
Secondly, the Retro Gift shop is to become another type of gift shop.
The other shop, (can't remember what it currently is) will be a relocation of the Barbers shop across the road.

This is because the Barbers and the gift shop/florists next door has been given notice to quit.  As these are underneath the Bingo Hall.  This has fuelled rumours that JD Wetherspoons are now very likely to be opening up in that builiding.
Why else would you kick out current paying tenants?

However, Amelie's restaurant in that same building have been offered an extension to their lease.

The plot thickens.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #847 on: January 06, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
I drove through Conwy tunnel this morning for the first time in a few weeks & noticed new gantries near the entrance/exit of each tunnel (4 in total) with multiple cameras on each arm. The gantries were painted yellow so am I correct to assume they are speed cameras? There were no markings on the road so if they are I guess they must be average speed cameras as they would have no reference points to record. Has anyone else noticed them or know anything about them?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #848 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »
They are average speed cameras, to deal with speeding inside the tunnel.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #849 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:12 pm »
'Specs' cameras, as Dave says measuring average speed, I think I saw somewhere some weeks ago it was something to do with work being carried out? Usually you see them on motorway roadworks with a 50mph limit to protect the workforce (when they are actually there that is! )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2013, 12:59:33 pm »
They are average speed cameras, to deal with speeding inside the tunnel.

I've never come across many people speeding in the tunnel, to be honest I find the opposite with a lot of people slowing down to 50 or 60 so I assume it is when they have the 40mph limits in place when they have the regular inspections & maintenance work.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #851 on: January 06, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »
They did have "advisory" 50 mph speed limit signs at the entrances to the tunnel but they were removed a couple of years ago since when the average speed through the tunnel has dramatically increased.   The SPECS camera system should ensure that the average will reduce to an acceptable level.  Of course I stand to be corrected!    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dwsi

« Reply #852 on: January 06, 2013, 02:40:57 pm »
They are not operational until the 13th of January when the roadworks start up in the tunnel for a month

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #853 on: January 06, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »
They did have "advisory" 50 mph speed limit signs at the entrances to the tunnel but they were removed a couple of years ago since when the average speed through the tunnel has dramatically increased.   The SPECS camera system should ensure that the average will reduce to an acceptable level.  Of course I stand to be corrected!    ;)

I've never seen the point of advisory speed signs when they aren't the legal limit, a waste of money that just confuses motorists that don't know the difference and winds up the rest of us that do when they slow down for no other reason. I never exceed the speed limit but I do drive as close to it as is safely possible.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #854 on: January 06, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »
And I totally agree with you!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero