Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626805 times)

Offline martin

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #825 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:38 pm »
The now cleared Billington's site went up for auction on the 27th September, however, it was unsold.  So, the saga continues. &shake&

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:50 pm »
For those not sure what's happening around Conwy town re Blinc. A digital show will start at 7pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Images will be projected on various buildings around Conwy town, each will last approximately 15mins and will continue on a loop system. This will allow people to arrive at each venue at different times ensuring no one will miss anything and it prevents large crowds gathering at one place at one given time. The Legion is the place to come and have a drink and step out of the cold and chill out.....all welcome.

By the way hello everyone....sorry not checked in for ages been busy with working and walking with my little Jj  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #827 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:23 am »
hi pen nice to hear from you again, missed your stories of your walks, thought you had left the country, bri.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #828 on: October 28, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »
The Palace Bingo in the old cinema on the High Street is closing it`s doors for the last time next Thursday.   The structure seems to be in a bad way,  the number of players has dwidled over the years, it`s a shame.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #829 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
The Palace Bingo in the old cinema on the High Street is closing it`s doors for the last time next Thursday.   The structure seems to be in a bad way,  the number of players has dwidled over the years, it`s a shame.

Is that the place that was rumoured to be taken over by J.D.Wetherspoons a year or so ago?

Bingo on the wane eh?   There seems to be no shortage of people playing it online these days!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #830 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
Congatulations to all concerned with the Conwy Food Fair.  I've never seen so many people in the town on Saturday.  Pity about the weather yesterday but hopefully a lot of money was made. :-*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #831 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »

Is that the place that was rumoured to be taken over by J.D.Wetherspoons a year or so ago?

Bingo on the wane eh?   There seems to be no shortage of people playing it online these days!
The Palace has suffered from lack of investment over the years, both in terms of building maintenance and promoting the business. Part of Parker Leisure Holdings from Rhyl. Originally built as the Palace Cinema in 1936 to a Colwyn Foulkes design. Switched over to Bingo in the 1990s.

A veritable Palace... by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #832 on: October 29, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

The Palace Bingo in the old cinema on the High Street is closing it`s doors for the last time next Thursday.   

Looks as though my Barbers is going to be amongst the loss we will suffer!  Where else can I get a haircut for £4.50?
 Z@@
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #833 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »
The one at the top of the street is a fiver as well.

Offline Jack

« Reply #834 on: October 29, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »
The one next to the Albion has a notice in the window saying haircuts £4

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #835 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »
The one next to the Albion has a notice in the window saying haircuts £4

I'd be a bit suspicious at that price! L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #836 on: October 29, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »
Sorry to correct you :~~ my old friend DaveR ~~~ but the Palace switched to bingo long before the 1990s. more like the l970s.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #837 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »
Sorry to correct you :~~ my old friend DaveR ~~~ but the Palace switched to bingo long before the 1990s. more like the l970s.
I 'm sorry, Mike, but I must correct your correction! You're maybe thinking of when they introduced Bingo first, but Cinema & Bingo ran in tandem for many years. Here is a pic from the 1980s, that says both Cinema & Bingo:
[smg id=316]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #838 on: October 29, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »
The cinema took the same approach as many, making the balcony area the main cinema and having Bingo in the downstairs area.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #839 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
That will teach me not to try to correct DaveR (tail between my legs).  but can I claim a partial victory. I first drove a coach from Rhyl to the Castle (Cinema or Bingo) full of bingo ladies == they were all ladies, men never seemed to take to bingo ==  in 1985 and there were no films then' Actually I used to snatch an hours kip up in the old projection room.