Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 639574 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #795 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:05 am »
The weather half a mile out to sea is quite often different to that even in town, though?  &shake&
Errrm,  I'm sure it is, but I am comparing like with like.... as I was half a mile out to sea LAST year too!   &shake& &shake&
You're missing the point. As I said, the weather is often different in town. Just because you've had more bad days on a year on year comparison, it doesn't follow that the town centre or Conwy has, too.

There have been days where you have sent me a message complaining about the terrible weather and I have been sat in the sun outside Cafe Culture, for example.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #796 on: August 17, 2012, 08:29:36 am »
The variation of weather within the town is quite amazing. Many times I have been soaked loading my groceries into the car boot at Asda only to find that not a drop has fallen at home.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #797 on: August 17, 2012, 09:42:50 am »
The variation of weather within the town is quite amazing. Many times I have been soaked loading my groceries into the car boot at Asda only to find that not a drop has fallen at home.

Go to Tesco's instead!    ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #798 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:23 am »
The weather half a mile out to sea is quite often different to that even in town, though?  &shake&
Errrm,  I'm sure it is, but I am comparing like with like.... as I was half a mile out to sea LAST year too!   &shake& &shake&
You're missing the point. As I said, the weather is often different in town. Just because you've had more bad days on a year on year comparison, it doesn't follow that the town centre or Conwy has, too.

There have been days where you have sent me a message complaining about the terrible weather and I have been sat in the sun outside Cafe Culture, for example.

I'm not missing the point at all.  I'm making a very different and concise point.
That being, on a year on year basis there have been LESS sunny days this year than last.
A fact that the Met Office seems to agree with me on.

On days when you have basked outside Cafe Culture and I have moaned about the weather on the pier, I am referring to the wind.
The wind of course is much worse on the pier compared to the relative shelter of Mostyn St.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #799 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:42 pm »

Many reasons that I don't use Tescos
a) I find the outside area in particular grubby.
b) I disagree with their policies on selling live turtles for consumption in China.
c) It takes alot longer to get there.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #800 on: August 17, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »
Can't argue with that!  Which is why I use Aldi for a lot of stuff and ASDA for the rest, foodstuff wise that is!    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #801 on: August 17, 2012, 04:44:06 pm »

c) It takes alot longer to get there.

Don't know about the turtles but it takes us longer to go to Asda!

AND in the evening there are lots of youngsters and others, 'messing' around at the entrance to ASDA which can at times make it a little intimidating if you want to use the cash machines.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #802 on: August 18, 2012, 08:57:30 am »
You would be right there Bellringer, Tesco is alot nearer for you. Same for us with Asda, I make nothing of adding to my grocery bill with the cost of petrol ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #803 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:03 am »
AND in the evening there are lots of youngsters and others, 'messing' around at the entrance to ASDA which can at times make it a little intimidating if you want to use the cash machines.

Worrying.  I seem to remember that Homebase eventually removed its customer toilets because of continued vandalism - and they were deep inside the store at the back.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline martin

« Reply #804 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »
The old Billington's Garage is no more. It has now been virtually raised to the ground.

It now looks a much bigger area than before with the building on it.
But why have they left several very large heaps of bricks/concrete?  Last week there was a JCB and large lorry on site, but both have disappeared and we are left with a very untidy site.  Does anyone know if/when the site will be fully cleared, could it be that the new owner is miffed with the Council for insisting on the demolition, and this is his way of making his displeasure known??

Offline dwsi

« Reply #805 on: August 22, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »
Council red tape is stopping people to removing the rubble. Local farmers were going to take it away for free but they needed an environmental license to take it from the site and another one for the dumping site. Which meant too much time, money and hassle.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #806 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
Bureaucracy gone mad, once again!     :rage:
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #807 on: September 02, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
I walked down onto the Quay yesterday with Jj to have a look round the Celtic Fayre.  There was a sign at the entrance which read "£1 entrance fee, this is to cover the cost of the event we receive no funding.....children free" Is it me?  According to a friend of mine who has a stall down there, the organisers charge upwards of £300 per stall for their pitch.  Where does the revenue from this go then?  Why would the organisers get funding?  It is after all just an expensive market if I'm honest.  What really annoyed me though was the fact huge building site fencing had been erected the entire length of the market, so that no one could go in without paying the £1.  It probably cost more for the fencing than they made on entrance fees plus it made the whole area look unwelcoming anyway.  I'm sorry but "children free"....what's that about?  Who would pay for themselves and kids to enter a market?  Last year it cost me nearly £3 for a few bits of fudge so there was no way I was paying extra.  In fact I threw my toys out of the pram and carried on walking past.  I just think it's out of order. 
I can understand the Foodfest (although that's a bit expensive too) but at least they have events like cooking demonstrations going on in the tents. 

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #808 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »
Maybe M & S, ASDA and Tesco will catch on to the idea and subject us to a charge to buy in their shops!    L0L

Must confess we don't go into any Fair, Antique at the Town Hall, or Car Boots where one has to pay for anything more than car parking.   It is just a licence for the organisers to grab every penny they can.  Charities are a different matter and we do support them.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #809 on: September 02, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
Called there this morning-- paid our £2 to get in to visit the folks running the Ty Gobaith stall. My thoughts were 'Where is the rest of it?' I managed a free toothful of cheese, but it isn't worth an entrance fee to spend more money.