Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626245 times)

Offline viv

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #810 on: November 11, 2014, 09:05:08 pm »
Tom Davidson @WeeklyNewsBay
Colwyn Bay has won the coastal category of the Great British High Street award. Yes you read that right. Congrats to all.
Town will now recieve share this of £30,000(?) - no notion yet what it will be spent on.
Judges said: "Colwyn Bay’s thriving town centre is a fantastic example of a high street which looks to the future while embracing heritage"
Judges "impressed with the Town Team’s collaboration with CBTHI to regenerate the nineteenth century distinctiveness of Colwyn Bay."

The judges were Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and David Blunkett.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #811 on: November 12, 2014, 07:56:05 am »
The tidal lagoon possibilities seem very interesting, although the time-scale will be protracted, to say the least.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #812 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »
Tom Davidson @WeeklyNewsBay
Follow
.@DavidJonesMP has slammed decision: ‘I'm dismayed @ArrivaTW... (will) exclude the 2nd biggest town in N. Wales from prime morning service."

From 14th Dec the 0950 from Man. to Holyhead will no longer stop at Colwyn Bay

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #813 on: November 13, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »
Seems laughable they can miss out 2nd biggest town in North Wales...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #814 on: November 13, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
It's amazing...what are they thinking of?  &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #815 on: November 13, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »

:laugh: till you :'(    What will be the effect?..I am not up on train travel, I thought there was hope of better links to Liverpool / Manchester?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #816 on: November 13, 2014, 09:37:18 pm »
Outcry after Arriva ends train stops at Colwyn Bay on busy morning service

A train firm’s decision to miss out North Wales’s second biggest town from one of its busy morning service has sparked an outcry.

Clwyd West MP David Jones was “dismayed” when Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) revealed its 9.50am Manchester Piccadilly to Holyhead service on Mondays to Fridays won’t stop at Colwyn Bay.

The company admitted some of its passengers would be “disappointed”, but insisted it would make the train less crowded.
The train will also not stop at Abergele & Pensarn after the change is introduced on December 14.
ATW managing director Ian Bullock wrote that he “very much regrets if our new timetable has generated concern.”
In a letter he told the MP this change may cause “disappointment to a number of customers who are used to the current schedule and stopping pattern of this train”.

However, Mr Bullock says Colwyn Bay will be served by another operator. He said: “There will be a connection for Colwyn Bay at Chester with a Virgin Trains service which arrives some 10 minutes later than now.”
Mr Bullock added that there will also be a connection for Abergele and Pensarn at Chester with Arriva Trains Wales’s service from Birmingham International, arriving at 12.03pm.
But Conservative MP Mr Jones, a former Welsh Secretary, said that he is dismayed that Arriva Trains Wales have decided to exclude Colwyn Bay and called for a rethink
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/outcry-after-arriva-ends-train-8107036

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #817 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:30 pm »
Back in the 1970s I used to enjoy a weekly rover ticket in the school holidays and go as far as Chester from Colwyn Bay to catch the Boat Train on a Saturday.This did not not stop anywhere until Holyhead and trains were held in the side platforms at stations including Colwyn Bay to let it past........happy days.

How many people get off in Colwyn Bay from the current service at 10:00.....can they both be given a taxi from Rhyl?

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #818 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:37 am »
I like their logic:

The company admitted some of its passengers would be “disappointed”, but insisted it would make the train less crowded.

_))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #819 on: November 14, 2014, 08:44:42 am »
As Steve H says I am not up on train travel, but when I last did my 'day trip' through to Yorkshire I left here at 20 to 7 and even at that hour people were embarking at both Colwyn Bay and Abergele.

Had a trip on a bus to Rhyl a week or two ago, made the mistake of sitting upstairs at the front of one of the new buses. If I could have coped with coming downstairs on a moving bus I would have done, I was so shaken about. I enquired about the price of a single train ticket when I got off ,just out of interest, to come back, and was quoted £8.Needless to say I got the bus, sat downstairs and had a better ride. :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #820 on: November 14, 2014, 08:56:40 am »
Using that logic, the train should not stop at any station.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:11:43 am by Ian »

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #821 on: November 14, 2014, 09:11:18 am »
Using that logic, the train should not stop at any station.

To be fair, though, it's always the passengers that cause the trouble.  It's exactly the same in hospitals.  Those patients are to blame for long waiting times and crowded waiting rooms...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #822 on: November 14, 2014, 10:02:28 am »
 _))*  L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: November 29, 2014, 04:40:28 pm »
The Central Pub at the top of Station Road in Colwyn Bay is undergoing refurbishment to become the 'Station', which is apparently a 'Dining Experience'.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #824 on: November 29, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
So we will have to say The Station.....you remember........were a murder took place in the cellar bar in 1980?