Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 644491 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #795 on: November 03, 2014, 02:44:15 pm »
I see the old chestnut of reopening Station Road to traffic has popped up again. No one apart from the Council has ever wanted it closed to traffic, but they always think they know best.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #796 on: November 03, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
There's an interesting piece by Tom Davidson on the blueprint for some fairly big changes to the centre of Colwyn Bay (in this week's Weekly News - there doesn't seem to be an online version yet).

One of the proposals is to make a new pedestrian link between Bay View shopping centre and Station Road. This will be via the ground floor of Roumania House, which is the building next to what used to be Arundale's fruit & veg shop. With glazed canopy, walkway, plaza, etc. At least if I read it right.

On the face of it, I'm not convinced this is wise - and I can think of better ways for money to be spent on improving Station Road and the surrounding area. I hope they've it thought it more than with Porth Eirias.

If Tom (or anyone else reading this) knows the contact details for the best person to write to on this, I'd be grateful. In fact, it might be good to put such details on prominent display here, as I think this must be a matter for public discussion.

I agree.... $good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #797 on: November 03, 2014, 03:47:52 pm »
Seeing as how the Town Team's proposals are now open to consultation best person to contact is probably Richard Baddeley.

However if you want to speak to Conwy Council directly, I'd suggest speaking to head officer on the Masterplan Rob Dix, although getting a solid answer out of him is... difficult difficult lemon difficult. 
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #798 on: November 03, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
Eirias Park - Bonfire Display
The free display at Eirias Park is on November 5 at 7pm.

The bonfire is lit at 7.15pm and the display starts at 7.30pm.

Donations are encouraged and split between local charities, Wales Air Ambulance and the Fire Fighters Charity.

For more information call 01492 532248.

Offline BMD

« Reply #799 on: November 03, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »
Seeing as how the Town Team's proposals are now open to consultation best person to contact is probably Richard Baddeley.

However if you want to speak to Conwy Council directly, I'd suggest speaking to head officer on the Masterplan Rob Dix, although getting a solid answer out of him is... difficult difficult lemon difficult.

Okay - thanks for that.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #800 on: November 06, 2014, 10:20:51 am »
So the consensus seems to be the fireworks were rubbish last night. I watched on a hill and don't think I got the full effect but I hate fireworks anyway. But from what I've seen on facebook most people there were disappointed.
Most of the comments were - not big enough budget not impressive blah blah blah
Seems to me it costs a fortune and if people still aren't happy cancel them all together - waste of time!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #801 on: November 06, 2014, 10:22:42 am »
I thought they were pretty good. There was a massive crowd there and gridlock throughout Colwyn Bay before and after the event.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #802 on: November 06, 2014, 10:36:38 am »
B2R, if I didn't like fireworks, I wouldn't go out, stand on a hill and watch them.

Also, if you don't like fireworks, if CCBC spent 20 million quid on them, you still wouldn't be impressed would you?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #803 on: November 06, 2014, 11:07:26 am »
Alright hecklers  :o

I said I wasn't likely to be impressed anyway - BUT I also said the other people I've seen talk about them who do like this sort of thing also said it was rubbish. And as for you quote Mr Fester

"B2R, if I didn't like fireworks, I wouldn't go out, stand on a hill and watch them."

Some of us are forced to do things by our other halves we don't want to!! :-*
including giving up the darts

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: November 06, 2014, 11:10:12 am »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #805 on: November 06, 2014, 11:44:18 am »
B2R, are you saying that you have retired from darts because your other half has pressurised you?
If so.... she has done you a massive favour!  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #806 on: November 06, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
B2R, are you saying that you have retired from darts because your other half has pressurised you?
If so.... she has done you a massive favour!  :laugh: :laugh:

I can neither confirm nor deny that  :'( But I do know your team is dooooooomed without me, doooooomed I tell you  ££$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #807 on: November 08, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »
Tom Davidson @WeeklyNewsBay
Colwyn Bay has won the coastal category of the Great British High Street award. Yes you read that right. Congrats to all.
Town will now recieve share this of £30,000(?) - no notion yet what it will be spent on.
Judges said: "Colwyn Bay’s thriving town centre is a fantastic example of a high street which looks to the future while embracing heritage"
Judges "impressed with the Town Team’s collaboration with CBTHI to regenerate the nineteenth century distinctiveness of Colwyn Bay."

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #808 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »
Just by chance, this afternoon I looked in on Porth Eirias aka the skip to see what if anything was going on. I was pleasantly surprised to see a very nice exhibition style event inside. Mainly nautical, lifeboats, Royal Naval histories with lots and lots of local pictures dating back to shipwrecks in the 1800s, quite a bit about the Home Guard and local life during the war in the Bay right up to the recent shipwreck in Llanddulas a couple of years ago.
  And, to come to the point, a lot of literature and details from the Colwyn Bay Heritage group. SO I now know better. There was quite a bit of development in Colwyn Bay between 1860 and 1900. And lots of the existing buildings were constructed during those years.
   If anyone has got half and hour or so to look in I am sure you would find information to interest you  Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:53:32 am by Ian »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
Colwyn Bay tidal lagoon project consultation gets underway

An ambitious tidal lagoon project has had its first public consultation.
Tidal Lagoon Power wants to build a power-generating lagoon from Rhos Point, near Colwyn Bay, to Prestatyn.
The company is seeking planning permission for another lagoon in Swansea Bay, with a decision expected in spring 2015.
After that the company will focus on North Wales, although feasibility studies are already underway.
More than 100 people turned up at the meeting at St Paul’s Church in Colwyn Bay on Monday night.

David Jones MP, who chaired the meeting, was keen to remind people it was still early days on the project. He said: “The people of Colwyn Bay need to come forward with an open mind – this is a big opportunity for jobs, the economy and tourism. It could be a national project.

“It was an extremely good meeting, there was between 100-150 people there to listen to the project and some very good questions were asked.
“Bearing in mind it is still early days, and we were reminded of that by Ioan Jenkins (development director for Tidal Lagoon Power), the signs are positive.
A spokesman for Tidal Lagoon Power said: “Valuable discussion and we look forward to continuing our initial consultation and project feasibility work in Colwyn Bay.”

Also at the meeting were representatives from Restore Our Beach in Llandudno, who want to explore the possibility of the lagoon extending to the town and being used as coastal protection.
Alison Shields, chair of Restore Our Beach, said: “It’s refreshing to see a company be so open with the consultation process.
“We have had discussions with Tidal Lagoon Power (about the lagoon including Llandudno) and they are open to the idea.
“The problem for us is this project will take years and Restore Our Beach want a solution sooner rather than later.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-tidal-lagoon-project-7819889