Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 660185 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1680 on: June 12, 2023, 09:47:51 am »
The North Wales residents whose neighbours are Britain?s biggest wild snakes
People in Colwyn Bay worry motorists are threatening their viability by accidentally squashing them

In the leafy streets of a Conwy seaside town, residents have grown rather fond of their unusual neighbours. In local gardens, undergrowth and compost heaps, Britain?s largest wild snakes are lurking.

Having endured the long North Wales winter in hibernation, the constrictor snakes began venturing out in late Spring. The recent hot spell appears to have made them more adventurous ? and this might be their undoing.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-residents-whose-neighbours-27101507

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with ..............Colwyn Bay British Legion Club saved
« Reply #1681 on: June 16, 2023, 09:58:41 am »
Colwyn Bay British Legion Club saved

A BRITISH Legion Club has been saved after Conwy?s planning committee granted two planning applications in Colwyn Bay to replace a bowling green and allotments.

Residents opposed plans for 12 homes at 31 Coed Pella Road, arguing the development of the club?s bowling green and relocation of allotments would cause traffic congestion, parking problems, and impact vulnerable people.

But at a planning committee meeting at Bodlondeb, councillors approved the application after a plea from the British Legion Club?s president who said the club would end without the money raised from the development.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23593116.colwyn-bay-british-legion-club-saved/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1682 on: June 17, 2023, 10:10:49 am »
Iconic seaside town hotel that then became high street eyesore has been sold
The Imperial Hotel in Colwyn Bay was built when tourism boomed but has been closed for years

It was a prestigious destination with its location opposite the train station and proximity to the beach appealing to visitors. But there was gradual decline after the Second World War as seaside towns around the UK were impacted by the growth in package holidays overseas.

Now though the property has been sold on to a new developer. Colin Flannigan, from St Davids Commercial, confirmed the deal this week.

He said the developer will start on the site immediately - developing 21 apartments and four retail units.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/iconic-seaside-town-hotel-became-27135911

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1683 on: June 18, 2023, 05:11:33 pm »
At the moment we are having a thunderstorm here in the Bay and it sounds very close indeed.    The thunder is constant with spells of sheet lightning and heavy rain
Luckily for me I was just going to take the dog out for a walk when the first clap of thunder came so I'm staying indoors and having a coffee instead

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1684 on: June 18, 2023, 07:28:47 pm »
Good for you Hugo. We had spent an hour 'people and dog watching' when we saw the storms approaching. We made a bee-line home and just got back before the heavens opened and the thunder and lighting were nearly overhead. The beach cleared rather rapidly !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1685 on: June 18, 2023, 10:48:58 pm »
I'm glad that you made it home before the storm came Nemesis as it must have been one of the worst thunder storms for ages,   I sat in my lounge which overlooks the sea and watched the thunder and lightning over the bay.
The noise was deafening and I felt sorry for all the wild animals and pets that would have been terrified by it all.    It was then that I noticed our dog Teddy, he was not scared in the least and was in fact on the sofa looking at the display.     When we had our Old English Sheepdogs they were so scared of thunder and fireworks that they would just cower behind the sofa and tremble, such a sad sight to see

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1686 on: June 19, 2023, 06:37:24 pm »
Our Schnauzer was terrified, but the Bichon took it all in his stride. We have now been 'dogless' for over 18 months, neither of us being fit to cope with one, still miss him though.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1687 on: June 30, 2023, 10:50:13 am »
Ice cream kings beat 63 rivals to move into beach kiosk on 'Welsh Riviera'
Local firm Parisella?s won a fiercely competitive tendering process to win the kiosk's tenancy

A popular beach kiosk on the ?Welsh Riviera? could be in new hands by next Monday and operating by the following weekend. Conwy-based Parisella?s ice cream won a tendering process for the tenancy of the former Horizon Shine kiosk on Colwyn Bay promenade.

The company hopes to move quickly to take advantage of the summer season. As well as its award-winning ice creams, Parisella?s will also be offering drinks and hot and cold snacks, including its celebrated fish-and-chip sandwiches.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/ice-cream-kings-beat-63-27227001?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay.......bomb disposal team called
« Reply #1688 on: July 06, 2023, 09:29:36 am »
Huge section of popular beach was cordoned off as bomb disposal team called
Recap on updates from the incident on Colwyn Bay beach this afternoon and evening

A section of a North Wales beach was cordoned off this evening [July 5]. A large police presence was reported in Colwyn Bay, Conwy with reports locally of a "controlled explosion" having taken place on the sand.

A section of the town's West Promenade was taped off while the incident is ongoing. Bystanders earlier reported hearing a "loud bang", believed to have been caused by the controlled explosion.

Ordinance Disposal Team vehicles were also seen parked up on the prom.

PS
Video shows 'controlled explosion' on Colwyn Bay beach

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23636428.video-shows-controlled-explosion-colwyn-bay-beach/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1689 on: July 15, 2023, 10:12:17 am »
THE IMPERIAL Hotel building in Colwyn Bay has been purchased by a London property developer, with renovation of the site underway.

The Grade II listed building was sold for an undisclosed amount, with the new owners securing planning permission for 21 flats and four retail shops.

The retail units will be available from early August, with the landlord looking for ?quirky? entrepreneurs from the area.

St David?s Commercial, who facilitated the sale, told the Pioneer: ?The retail units will be available early August, looking for quirky local entrepreneurs with sensible rents being quoted.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23655290.imperial-hotel-converted-flats-quirky-retail-units/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1690 on: July 23, 2023, 09:37:16 pm »
Rag & Bone man was at Eirias Park tonight and it has been raining very hard all evening,  The audience will have had a soaking but I hope that it hasn't dampened their enjoyment as he's a great singer.
Last night they had other acts on and although I live over a mile from the event the noise was deafening.   I even had to turn the sound up on our TV so I could hear the TV

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1691 on: July 25, 2023, 10:35:23 am »

Rag & Bone man was at Eirias Park tonight and it has been raining very hard all evening,  The audience will have had a soaking but I hope that it hasn't dampened their enjoyment as he's a great singer.
Last night they had other acts on and although I live over a mile from the event the noise was deafening.   I even had to turn the sound up on our TV so I could hear the TV

Revellers pack Colwyn Bay's Stadiwm CSM for three days of live music!

cont photos https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23675661.revellers-pack-colwyn-bays-stadiwm-csm-three-days-live-music/[quote

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1692 on: July 26, 2023, 09:45:53 am »
Contractor starts work on multi-million pound Conwy development
Wynne Construction is developing the scheme that will improve the lives of children

A contractor has started work on a multi-million pound development that was delayed after a previous developer crashed into administration. WRW Construction had secured the contract for Bwthyn y Ddol - a centre for vulnerable children needing assessment - by Eirias park in Colwyn Bay.

But the company came under ?significant financial stress? and ceased to operate in 2021. This year Denbighshire based Wynne Construction was awarded the ?3.8m contract to build the new Sub Regional Children?s Assessment Unit, which aims to increase access to support for children in North Wales with complex needs and their families.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/contractor-starts-work-multi-million-27391086

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1693 on: August 02, 2023, 09:42:40 am »
AN INTERIOR design showroom in Colwyn Bay is set to close, with the business citing ?unfortunate circumstances? as the reason.

Aspect Interior Design Ltd, which is run by father and son duo Bill and Tom Doody, will be closing its showroom at 26 Penrhyn Road.

Aspect Interior Design opened the showroom in November 2020, and the site has been ?exceptionally busy? since, due to their large range of quality wood flooring, kitchens, bedrooms, bathrooms and associated interior design products.

In a social media post, the business said that circumstances surrounding the property?s maintenance had caused them to make the decision, and that a discount sale of all the site?s display items would begin.

The post stated: ?Due to unfortunate circumstances with the properties maintenance over the years we will be leaving our showroom at 26 Penrhyn Road, and will be selling all of our display items at incredibly discounted prices to clear.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23694373.interiors-business-showroom-colwyn-bay-set-close/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1694 on: August 03, 2023, 09:59:20 am »
A FORMER wine bar and bistro in Colwyn Bay has been sold, after its sudden closure last year.

Sheldon?s Wine Bar & Bistro, at 8 Penrhyn Road, closed at the end of last year, having been popular since it first opened in November 2018.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23696042.former-colwyn-bay-wine-bar-bistro-premises-sold/