Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 661321 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1650 on: December 17, 2022, 02:49:57 pm »
Pupils at rat-infested Colwyn Bay school told to stay home due to 'new developments'
Ysgol Eirias says it will move to online learning
I wonder if some of the pupils are playing pranks just to get a longer Christmas break!     

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pupils-rat-infested-colwyn-bay-25764564

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1651 on: January 17, 2023, 10:10:54 am »
I got up this morning about 8.00am and there was about 2 inches of snow on the ground.    The drive was covered in snow so my first job of the day was to clear the drive of snow because I had to take Teddy to the Vets at 10.30 am.
I finished clearing the drive and went into my back garden to have a look at something but then it started snowing heavily and the drive was covered in snow again and the snow didn't seem to be stopping
I phoned the Vets and cancelled the appointment but I'm going nowhere today and the drive can stay as it is

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1652 on: January 18, 2023, 10:50:12 am »
I managed to clear my drive again and went down to Huws Grays in Mochdre as I was running out of rock salt.   They had a delivery of the stuff yesterday so I was lucky and returned home with a 20 Kg bag but when I got to the West End it wend very dark and there was an exceptionally heavy hailstorm
 Driving up King's Drive was very hairy indeed but I managed it ok but I wouldn't be surprised if there were crashes on the steep winding hill, especially when the cars were driving downhill

Offline Helig

« Reply #1653 on: January 18, 2023, 11:05:38 am »
What breed of dog is that Hugo? It looks very similar to my friend's Golden Doodle.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1654 on: January 18, 2023, 02:18:15 pm »
He's a Cockapoo Helig,   Cockapoo Mother and minature Poodle Sire so that makes him a Cockapoo F2 type.         Nearly 19 Kilos of naughtiness!
Last week I let him go into the fenced off bit of our garden and he escaped into neighbours gardens so I spent the afternoon repairing the wire fence

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1655 on: January 18, 2023, 04:10:46 pm »
I?m glad you?ve put the pics of the snow up there Hugo now I know my grandson was telling the truth the school was closed.  😂😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1656 on: January 18, 2023, 06:55:31 pm »
It's a different climate up here sometimes Norman and yesterday no cars were able to drive up Wentworth Avenue to get to the school or shops.     I'm pleased to hear that your Grandson is going to Ysgol Pen Y Bryn as it's a good school
I'm not going for a drink tomorrow with my brother as there is no guarantee that I can get back up the hill.    In fact I just got up to the top of my drive this morning and the zig zag tyre marks are still there in the snow

Offline Helig

« Reply #1657 on: January 20, 2023, 10:52:36 am »
Thank you for the photos of your dog, Hugo. I can see it is a lot smaller than my friend's Golden Doodle, cross between a Golden Retriever and a Standard Poodle. He is a big dog and weighs 35 kilos now after the vet put him on a diet. He is too strong for me to walk him but I dog sit for him.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1658 on: January 20, 2023, 11:57:26 am »
You're very welcome Helig.    I sometimes take Teddy for a walk in the nearby Nature Reserve so that he can have a good run with some of the other dogs there.
In fact one of Teddy's mates is a Golden Doodle called Barney who is a beautiful dog but absolutely massive and weighs 41 Kilos according to the owner.     Barney just plods along but Teddy runs like a Whippet
Now the snow has mostly cleared up I'll take Teddy up to the reserve this afternoon so he can let off steam up there

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1659 on: January 23, 2023, 02:28:56 pm »
A caf? was left badly damaged after a car crashed through the door before reportedly being driven off. Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

The crash, which happened shortly before 9pm on Thursday night, caused extensive damage to the front of the Station View Caf? in Colwyn Bay. The caf? had to be boarded up as a result of the incident.

North Wales Police said their officers attended the incident, before the arrests were made. A spokesperson said: "We were called at 9pm on Thursday (19/01) to report extensive damage to the front of Station View Caf? on Sea View Road, Colwyn Bay.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/caf-left-badly-damaged-after-26046616

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1660 on: January 25, 2023, 10:25:16 am »
NatWest is set to close its branch in Colwyn Bay this spring. The town has already lost Lloyds, Barclays and the Halifax in recent years, and HSBC will shut in August.

NatWest has told its customers it will shut its Abergele Road branch on May 17. The nearest branch will be Llandudno.

This is another blow to the town centre which lost brands like Trespass, WH Smith and Peacocks over the pandemic. NatWest currently occupies a prominent building at the top of the high street.

Clwyd West MP David Jones said: "This is extremely bad news for Colwyn Bay and follows hard on the heels of the announcement by HSBC that its branch in town will close in August.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/natwest-bank-close-colwyn-bay-26063709

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1661 on: January 31, 2023, 10:01:59 am »
A town centre flat fire which closed a main road. North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the body of a cat was sadly recovered from the property in Colwyn Bay on Saturday evening.

Three fire crews were scrambled to Abergele Road at 7.24pm, along with an ambulance and police officers. An overloaded electrical extension cable was identified as the source of the fire.

The ambulance was later stood down, with nobody hurt, but firefighters wearing breathing apparatus battled until 9.59pm to contain the fire and search the flat, located above the Olive Tree Cafe. With the area sealed off by police, traffic congestion built up along Conway Road in the town.

cont plus photos https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fire-service-issues-update-town-26102683?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1662 on: February 06, 2023, 10:16:22 am »
A STRATEGY is being formed that aims to attract new businesses to the BayView Shopping Centre in Colwyn Bay.

The shopping centre currently has six empty spaces, with Shoe Zone, Autonomy Ladieswear and Designer North Wales all closing in recent years, with Autonomy having gone into administration during the Covid-19 pandemic.

A spokesperson for the BayView attributed this decline to the pandemic, during which ?retail has been hard hit?, as others areas of the town see a decline in trade as the high streets suffer.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23297543.six-empty-shop-spaces-colwyn-bays-bayview-centre/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1663 on: February 08, 2023, 09:30:15 am »
THE IMPERIAL Hotel in Colwyn Bay is undergoing a change of ownership, with the deal?s completion ?imminent?.

The Garde II listed site has been in a state of disuse for more than ten years, and dates back to around 1880, when it was constructed as part of the town?s development as a seaside holiday resort.

Built in the French renaissance style, it has a steeply pitched slate roof, decorative ridge tiles and gabled dormers with finials.

Once a hub of the town centre, the Imperial has laid empty since 2010, when it was put up for sale.

Now the building is seeing a change of ownership, and the county council said they will support the building being brought back into use.

Councillor Charlie McCoubrey, Leader of Conwy County Borough Council, said: ?The Imperial Hotel is a listed building and for many years has been adversely affecting the Conservation Area in which it is located.

?We are aware that the property is currently in the process of changing ownership and completion is imminent.

?Once the new ownership is confirmed, our Regulatory Services section will follow up on all outstanding issues and provide whatever support we can to bring this building back into use.?   

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23304587.imminent-takeover-imperial-hotel-gives-hope-building-use/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay ......Mochdre
« Reply #1664 on: February 13, 2023, 11:29:57 am »
'Important' new children's home to be built in North Wales after concerns raised over current facility
Planning permission has been granted for the new home at Glan yr Afon in Mochdre

A new children?s home will be built in North Wales. Conwy?s planning committee granted permission for a planning application submitted by the council?s social services department for the new home at Glan yr Afon in Mochdre.

The existing building on Mochdre Road is currently used as a children?s home but is in need of modernisation for continued use. Glan yr Afon is a former house, which was also used as a day nursery before it became a children?s home.

But the committee learned how inspectors visited Glan yr Afon and highlighted several concerns, leading to a council feasibility study and proposals to demolish the building. Glan yr Afon will now be replaced with a purpose-built facility in line with modern legislation.

Eight full-time staff will be employed at the new home and the number of children living at Glan yr Afon will remain the same. The council?s planning officers recommended that the committee back the plans, which were supported unanimously.

Cllr Austin Roberts proposed that councillors supported the plans, and this was seconded by Cllr Dave Jones. ?This is an important facility for the council?s social services,? said Cllr Roberts. Cllr David Carr added: ?This is a resource we really need in the county.?

Councillors heard how the building will be made ?futureproof? and more sustainable. The new building will measure 21m by 9.6m over two floors. The ground floor will include a kitchen, dining room, living room, education room, games room, and snug, as well as a meeting room and staff office.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/important-new-childrens-home-built-26211728