Author Topic: Football  (Read 244123 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Football
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2012, 11:24:42 am »
:-}}} Banter?  ))*

Definition - an exchange of light, playful, teasing remarks; good-natured raillery.

Patrice Evra is the innocent party, Hugo, and has done nothing wrong whatsoever.

The guilty one is Luis Suarez.

He was charged, fined and suspended by the FA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/luis-suarez-patrice-evra-racism

Are you aware that yesterday's events are not an isolated incident this month from Liverpool fans?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16452241.stm

Offline Hugo

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
One cannot condone racism in any shape or form but it's difficult to know where to draw the line.    I'm sure that Roy Keane was called an Irish c*** on more that one occasion when someone has been on the receiving end of one of his tackles but nothing was ever done about it and I'm sure that Roy wouldn't have complained about that.  Sometimes with all the tension and adrenaline pumping things are done or said that shouldn't be.
Hopefully Suarez has learned his lesson and will be more aware of the cultural differences between the different countries and  won't let it happen again.
I bet you're glad he wasn't playing though in more ways than one!    ;D

Offline mull

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
Typical of Dogliesh. After asking everyone to behave themselves he passes that behavoir as "banter"in the after match interview.
 >>>

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »
I bet you're glad he wasn't playing though in more ways than one!    ;D

Hugo, I bet you’re equally glad these nine first team players were all injured and could not play yesterday:  $good$

Rooney, Nani, Phil Jones, Anderson, Ashley Young, Vidic, Rio, Darren Flectcher and Tom Cleverley.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:01 pm »
You've got a good team there Bri, get a decent Goalie and it could be a great team again, barring injuries.   
We're agreed on the racism being unacceptable but refresh my memory about what happened to Peter Schmeichel and Ian Wright in 1997.
Something was alleged to have been said by Schmeichel to Wright following a nasty tackle by Wright but I can't remember the details although Wright was the subject of boos when the teams met again.
For what it's worth, I don't believe Schmeichel was ever a racist and would give him the benefit of any doubt.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »
One is innocent until proven guilty, Hugo.

Anyway, I am pleased to note you have eventually agreed with me over Racism in Football.

........................................................................$good$

We're agreed on the racism being unacceptable 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »
One is innocent until proven guilty, Hugo.

Anyway, I am pleased to note you have eventually agreed with me over Racism in Football.

........................................................................$good$

We're agreed on the racism being unacceptable 

Sometimes there is a lack of evidence that prevents a case from going to trial so we will never know for certain but this is a section from the Independant at the time:-   
"Instead, the police have been carrying out an extensive investigation and papers have now been lodged with the Crown Prosecution Service.
 There were no close witnesses to the alleged incident, but several lip- readers claimed that television pictures showed the Danish international swearing at Wright and, if the CPS decides that evidence is strong enough, Schmeichel will find himself in a unique test case."

I guess the evidence wasn't strong enough to go to Court but personally I don't think Schmeichel is a racist and I wouldn't be happy with Wright's challenge either. I remember it at the time and it was dreadful.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:14 pm »
For what its worth I played over 1000 games of 11 a side, (proper football) and thousands more games of 5 a side in various tornaments and leagues.
Because I had minimal talent, but maximum 'enthusiasm' ... I often heard the words, 'you dirty BALD c###', or as I got into my thirties, 'you dirty FAT, BALD c###'

I never took offence... because I was bald, and I was carrying a few extra pounds..... but I was never dirty, just a little slow perhaps?  Very slow.....

It was always important for me to get my first tackle in early...even though it was late.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
Man bailed over Liverpool-Man Utd FA Cup tie 'gesture'

A man arrested after an alleged racist gesture was made by a fan at the FA Cup tie between Liverpool and Manchester United has been released on bail.

The 58-year-old man from Barmouth, in Gwynedd, North Wales, was arrested on Saturday evening after the match.

Officers had reviewed TV footage of the Anfield match after images were posted on Twitter of a man making an alleged racist gesture.

Merseyside Police said the arrested man was released on bail on Sunday evening.

Saturday's game at Anfield ended with Liverpool winning 2-1.

On Sunday night a Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "A 58-year-old man from North Wales who was arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence yesterday following the Liverpool and Manchester United match has been released on police bail pending further inquiries."

Saturday's FA Cup match was the first time the two teams had met since a racist incident between Manchester United's French defender Patrice Evra and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez during their league encounter last year.

The incident lead to Uruguayan Suarez being banned for eight games by the FA, who found him guilty of making racist slurs against Evra.

Before Saturday's match, the stadium announcer warned supporters that racist and homophobic behaviour would not be tolerated.

Earlier, police said 17 people had been ejected from the football ground during the match. They said two had been arrested for "low-level incidents".

However, Merseyside Police said the majority of fans had been well-behaved.

Officers have urged anyone with information about the alleged incident to contact them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »
Another clip from the time of Peter Schmeichel's alleged racist remarks:-

"Wright has denied that he deliberately went over the ball. "I admit I lunged in, but I landed on the ball, not the man," he said. "The referee did not book me and there was no intent to hurt anyone."

Of the tunnel scuffle, Wright said: "I wouldn't have reacted like that if it was an ordinary insult. It was racial and completely out of order."

Wenger attempted to defuse the situation by suggesting a novel way of ending the feud.

"I think it will be good to bring this to an end because I think so much has been created from such a small thing," he said. "Maybe they will meet before the next game and sort this out, and kill each other!"

Ruud Gullit, Chelsea's dreadlocked manager, also resorted to humour when he disclosed how he keeps his temper when insulted on the pitch.

"If someone calls me a black so-and-so, I don't take it as a racist thing because I am black!" said Gullit, whose team play Manchester United in another vital title game at Stamford Bridge today. "Take it as a compliment, it means they are probably afraid of you."

As one of the most gifted players of his generation, the Dutchman with a Surinam background was confronted by all kinds of abuse from opponents desperate to unsettle him.

"The key is that there is emotion in the game and if someone is red, you'll call them a red whatsoever," he said.

"The best thing always for every player, wherever he comes from, is to just try to play well and play your own game and then all these things vanish.

"If people are swearing at me that means they are afraid of me. That gives me a sort of superiority over them."

However, he draws the line at organised racism. "When Ajax played in Hungary the crowd made jungle sounds all the time when the black players had the ball. That is abusive," he said.

"That had nothing to do with the football game, it had nothing to do with emotions, it wasn't funny."

I think Ruud has put it into context.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »
I often heard the words, 'you dirty BALD c###', or as I got into my thirties, 'you dirty FAT, BALD c###'
You still do....  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2012, 08:46:06 pm »
 _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »
I often heard the words, 'you dirty BALD c###', or as I got into my thirties, 'you dirty FAT, BALD c###'
You still do....  :laugh:

I often have get them texted to me too... don't I Dave?  ;) ;)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2012, 09:12:55 am »
Liverpool apologise after website video shows alleged racist gesture

Liverpool have apologised after video footage of an alleged racist gesture by a fan was shown on their website.

Highlights of Saturday's FA Cup tie against Manchester United, featuring the incident, were still available to view more than 48 hours after the game.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC told BBC Sport: "We can confirm that footage was mistakenly included in the highlights package that appeared on the website.

"It should not have been included and we are sorry it happened."

The spokesman added: "It was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention."

Saturday's FA Cup match was the first time that the two teams had met since the clash between Patrice Evra and Luis Suarez at Anfield in October.

Suarez was subsequently banned for eight games by the Football Association, who found him guilty of racially abusing Evra.

The United defender was met with a chorus of boos from some home fans at Anfield.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish claimed that there was nothing wrong with the booing and that it was no more than the sort of "banter" expected at any Liverpool-United game.

But Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, is concerned that it could have more serious repercussions.

"The booing of Evra was unwelcome," said Taylor. "For someone to be booed for reporting racist comments is not something we want to see happening.

"Black players may be worried about reporting such things, if there is going to be a backlash like this."

Police officers reviewed TV footage from Anfield after images were posted on Twitter of a man making an alleged racist gesture.

A 58-year-old man from Barmouth in Gwynedd, North Wales, was arrested on Saturday evening.

On Sunday night, a Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "A 58-year-old man from north Wales, who was arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence yesterday following the Liverpool and Manchester United match, has been released on police bail pending further inquiries."

The video footage on Liverpool's website compounds a difficult few months for the club following widespread criticism over how the Suarez case was handled by the club and the arrest of a fan following the FA Cup third-round tie against Oldham Athletic on 6 January.

On that occasion a 20-year-old man from Aintree, Merseyside, was arrested, and then later bailed, on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following alleged racist abuse directed towards Oldham player Tom Adeyemi.

Liverpool issued a statement after the game expressing that they were "deeply sorry" for what happened and they would "continue to take the strongest possible action against unacceptable behaviour during our matches".

The club have reiterated their stance that anyone found guilty of committing an offence will be banned for life.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »
At least we can definitely agree on two things;-

1)    Racism is abhorrent in any walk of life.
2)    Liverpool beat Man Utd 2-1 in the FA Cup

If mud is slung at anyone then it is important that the one slinging it is beyond reproach, if not then in football terms you could call it an own goal!