Author Topic: Football  (Read 244222 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Football
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:19 am »
You are very welcome.

Please note it won't be me organising any 50th anniversary celebrations. _))++ +}}{-- :__)+

Offline Trojan

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:17 am »
The United Arab Emirates crushed Lebanon 6-2 in a friendly on Sunday. So maybe in an effort to make things interesting or maybe just because he simply does not conform to acceptable standards of penalty kicks, the U.A.E.'s Awana Diab decided to attempt an absolutely ridiculous penalty. And it worked.

Diab's setup seemed like any other for a penalty, but as he ran up to the ball, he stopped, turned around and backheeled the it toward the goal. Stunned by the audacity, madness and nerve it takes to try and score a penalty with your back to the goal, the keeper just stood and watched as the ball trickled into the net.

U.A.E. manager Srecko Katanec did not appreciate Diab's creativity, though. He immediately substituted the player out of the match and after the game said that he would be disciplined for the "disrespectful act.

Craziest. Penalty. Ever!!! Awana Diab (UAE) vs Lebanon July 17th, 2011

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:31 am »
Yeah... I played a lot of football, (without ever touching the ball really) .... but if a player ever did a thing like that against weak opponents. it was always frowned upon for 'taking the p##s'

But then admired and laughed about in the pub afterwards!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:37 am »
I don't like to see "tricks" in competitive sport. It reminds me of Murray doing those between the leg shots. I think it is disrespectful.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:23 am »
but if a player ever did a thing like that against weak opponents. it was always frowned upon for 'taking the p##s'

How about Georgie Best v Gordon Banks 15th May 1971 at Windsor Park?  ;D

The goal was disallowed, but shouldn't have been.  :rage:

George Best Disallowed Goal v England's Gordon Banks at Windsor Park (15 May 1971)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:10 am »
Perfectly good goal... it left the Goalies hands.... and Best nipped in, ...the Referee (Jack Taylor??)  was obviously being paid!
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:25 pm »
Perfectly good goal... it left the Goalies hands.... and Best nipped in, ...the Referee (Jack Taylor??)  was obviously being paid!

His effort was disallowed for "ungentlemanly" conduct by referee Alistair MacKenzie whose back had been turned away from the incident, but even this untimely and incorrect intervention did not spare Banks the embarrassment of having been outwitted.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2011, 06:21:47 am »
It's been a quiet preseason for Mario Balotelli. He hasn't fought any bibs, saved any children from bullying or thrown darts at youth team players in a while, so you could say he was overdue for a controversial moment.

However, I found one during my recent visit to watch LA Galaxy at home in a friendly against Manchester City. One of the world's most entertaining footballers yet again proved his ability to expose the humourlessness of others by making a hilariously poor attempt to score with a spinning backheel after getting past the Galaxy defenders.

Angry at Balotelli farting around in a friendly, Roberto Mancini substituted him even though it was just the 32nd minute and Balotelli had scored with a penalty earlier to put City up 1-0.

Balotelli did not come out with the team for the second half and stayed in the dressing room. After the match, Mancini discussed his disappointing view of how important he thinks it is to always be serious when playing the sport:

"I hope this is a lesson for him. In football you always need to be professional, always serious and in this moment he wasn't professional. He needs to understand his behaviour has to be good in every game — not just in a final or a semi-final but every game.

"He knows he made a mistake. Football should always be serious and if you have a chance to score, you should score. If you are serious, you can play 90 minutes. If not, you can come and sit by me on the bench. Mario is young, I want to help him and that is the end of it. To take him off after 30 minutes is enough punishment. It won't have been easy for him but it has to be a lesson."

Predictably, The Guvnors and the Mayne Line Service crew were a no-show in Los Angeles.  $angry1$  :laugh:. Well, they used to have trouble showing up at Old Trafford at one time, so nothing much has changed on that front.  D)

Mario Balotelli Tries The Dumbest Kick Ever! Machester City VS Los Angeles Galaxy(WFB CHALLENGE)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:57 am »
Carling Cup Quarter Final       Man Utd 1    Crystal Palace 2

Sir Alex Ferguson apologised to Manchester United's fans after they were dumped out of the Carling Cup at home to Crystal Palace on Wednesday evening.

A second-string Red Devils side suffered a 2-1 upset after extra-time in what manager Ferguson branded a "big disappointment".

Nine internationals were included in the Scotsman's line-up and the boss was unimpressed by their efforts.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:52 pm »
The FA Cup 3rd round draw brings the two top teams in the Premier League together.    Man City  V  Man Utd.

City beat Utd 1-0 in the semi final last year and then went on to win the cup.
Rio Ferdinand "tweeted" that he can't wait to play City again so I hope it proves to be a great game unlike the  6-1 massacre that Utd suffered at Old Trafford this year!

Offline hollins

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »
You keep rubbing it in Hugo and I thought you such a nice person!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:53 am »
You keep rubbing it in Hugo and I thought you such a nice person!

I'm  :o that you think I'm rubbing it in Hollins, as if I would do such a thing!    ;)
 I'm not a fan of Man City, in fact I'm an ex Man Utd fan but it's nice to see good football and it would be better to have a good close game than one with a cricket score.
Football's a funny old game and you can't write Utd off and it's the FA Cup after all.  The underdogs have done well sometimes so I hope I don't choke when I'm eating my prawn sandwiches and watching the match.

Offline hollins

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:00 am »
It's okay Hugo, I am used to getting plenty of stick. My sister is a City fan. We usually have an amusing exchange of emails when a match is on! It will be like a final but in the 3rd round. Let's hope it is a good match.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2011, 12:02:14 am »
Not really football as such..
But see this amazing incident....A Dutch Cup game tonight abandoned tonight when the goalkeeper was sent off for repeatedly kicking a pitch invader.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16300956.stm
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14:47 pm »
Tonight I wanted to take Mrs Fester to watch Wrexham v Brighton in the much awaited FA Cup replay.

But I had forgotten just how much the size of the Racecourse Ground had been reduced over the years.
(I used to go regularly, it seemed huge back then)
So, it is fully sold out...

Brighton are 3 leagues above Wrexham,  in The Championship.
So good luck to Wrexham, and I am now going to watch it LIVE on S4C,  in Welsh!

Fester...