Author Topic: Roads in the area  (Read 373544 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Roads in the area
« Reply #1560 on: September 16, 2023, 03:06:17 pm »
Month long A470 roadworks to start on North Wales stretch next week
Carriageway resurfacing will take place on the A470 between Llanrwst and Betws-y-Coedhttps   

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/month-long-a470-roadworks-start-27727257

Online DVT

« Reply #1561 on: September 16, 2023, 04:36:59 pm »
Maybe a bit late, but ...

https://action.conservatives.wales/stop-20mph-speed-limit/

... Labour voters can also sign it (and should)!!

Online DVT

« Reply #1562 on: September 17, 2023, 09:24:34 am »
There seems to be some significant confusion here in Wales ahead of tomorrow's Speed Limit change and so, I thought I would help by briefly explaining how the change works so that there can be no confusion:

Any roads that were previously 30 will now be 20 apart from the roads that aren't going to be 20, which will still remain as 30.

When you see street lights you have to assume that the roads will be 20 even if the signs still say 30 because despite the signs saying 30, the roads could be 20, apart from, of course, the roads (as explained above) which will remain 30 despite them being 20.

It's also important to remember that there will still be a number of roads which despite them having streetlights will not be 20, and in these cases they could be 30, 40, 50, 60 or even 70, however, always bear in mind that even if the signs on these roads still state 30 they could, of course, be 20 unless they are one of the roads that have been designated 30, in which case the 20 restriction will not apply.

I trust that clarifies. It's really not difficult.

Happy driving

Online Hugo

« Reply #1563 on: September 17, 2023, 11:09:58 am »
There seems to be some significant confusion here in Wales ahead of tomorrow's Speed Limit change and so, I thought I would help by briefly explaining how the change works so that there can be no confusion:

17 September 2023
​20mph speed limit starts Sunday 17 September
From 17 September 2023, the default speed limit in built-up areas in Wales will reduce from 30mph to 20mph. This includes roads where streetlights are placed no more than 200 yards apart.2 days ago

I hope that you haven't had a last minute burn out on the A470  thinking that it all starts tomorrow      ;)

Offline hollins

« Reply #1564 on: September 17, 2023, 01:12:52 pm »
Read this article and DVT's explanation but still totally confused!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66774379

Online Hugo

« Reply #1565 on: September 17, 2023, 03:25:53 pm »
A55 diversion as dual carriageway to close in one direction tonight      There will be two nights of closure for the Eastbound lanes
The A55 will close in one direction for two nights for a structural assessment. Work will start tonight on a stretch of road between Junction 24 at Abergele and Junction 25 at Bodelwyddan.

The second closure takes place next month on the night of October 1. The eastbound lanes of the road will shut at Abergele from 10pm this evening.

Traffic heading eastbounds will be diverted off on to the A547 and A525 before re-joining the A55 at Junction 27 St Asaph. It will be the same times on October 1.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-diversion-dual-carriageway-close-27731277

Online DVT

« Reply #1566 on: September 17, 2023, 04:30:52 pm »
Went for a meal at Craigside (on the Little Orme) where the speed limit past there is still 40mph.  As you drop down to Llandudno Prom it goes to 20mph so cars are braking.  There was then a slow line of cars along the Prom past the paddling pool.  It was like driving in a funeral procession.

I also found that driving some distance on a clear road (Glanwydden Lane from Pydew turning to the main road) at 19mph I realised I was looking around at the scenery instead of concentrating on the road ahead.  I have found that my car has a button on the steering wheel that can be pressed to set the maximum speed, but not good when you accelarate back up to speed as it won't let you without cancelling.  Having had the car nearly five years I'd never used that feature before!

This limit does not help fuel economy or emissions, and I cannot see how it will save lives as long as pedestrians don't try crossing the road in front of a slow moving car, whereas they would stand back if car going a little quicker.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1567 on: September 19, 2023, 08:51:54 am »
I guess there was no need to introduce a 20mph limit if folk had adhered to 30mph in the first place, and then used common sense in populated streets etc but unfortunately that was never going to happen. Cars travelling at 30+ mph in Mostyn St was not usual but did happen often enough, likewise driving along the prom at 40mph is madness when it's busy. Consequently we are where we are and it's no doubt going to stay. We have to get used to it.
Driving from C-Y-D to Penrhyn Bay and back was indeed interesting yesterday and I too felt like I was in a funeral procession driving along the empty prom !
One thing I don't agree with though is the announcement that drivers will get off with a warning if caught speeding for the first 12 months ( other than driving through fixed speed cameras apparently) I think this gives a licence to those who choose to prefer speed over safety to carry on with what I have already witnessed as aggressive driving by a minority. I think an attendance at a speed awareness class might make help them change their minds that at least they will be inconvenienced in time if nothing else!
I think most of us break the rules on occasion, usually when we feel it's safe to do so but that is also arrogance on our part too. I have had three convictions for speeding in 50 years and over a million miles of driving. The last one was a few years ago when they introduced a 40mph average speed limit on the A55 at Abergele while a fence was being erected ....I'm sure most will remember where. Returning from holiday abroad at 2.00am on a Sunday morning I didn't see the speed camera warning and was caught averaging 48mph. I felt aggrieved as I had my headlights on full beam, could plainly see no one was working there, and I was the only car on the road but how was I to know if someone was out there on foot checking the work in progress etc? I elected to go on a speed awareness course which were fully booked with identical culprits it seemed. Most were still aggrieved at what they decided was clearly a money making racket. The course was very informative, highlighting amongst other things the most dangerous types of road for both fatal and non fatal accidents. It has changed my attitude I have to admit. It also highlighted the ignorance of so many who think motorways are the most dangerous roads.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1568 on: September 19, 2023, 09:39:13 am »
There's a petition to get the repeal of the 20 mph limits going around that is gaining numbers rapidly. I'm not going to sign it until something is done to make drivers more responsible. At the moment the ones that leave a trail of destruction and injuries, even deaths, are very lightly punished in my opinion.

Online Hugo

« Reply #1569 on: September 19, 2023, 10:38:34 am »
Dave, you are absolutely correct in what you have said and if all drivers drove in a responsible manner then there would have been no need to introduce this 20 mph limit.
Sadly not all drivers do and those irresponsible people spoil it for the majority of responsible drivers.    I also agree with your comment  regarding the  ones that leave a trail of destruction and injuries, even deaths, are very lightly punished.   We have read about such instances in North Wales this year

Online Hugo

« Reply #1570 on: September 19, 2023, 02:00:02 pm »
GoSafe announce the speed they will prosecute drivers at on 20mph roads in Wales
The Welsh Conservatives say the limit sends out 'mixed messages

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gosafe-announce-speed-prosecute-drivers-27742796

Offline Dave

« Reply #1571 on: September 19, 2023, 06:06:47 pm »
25 mph keeps traffic moving, and is a safer speed. I think that's a good move.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1572 on: September 21, 2023, 09:40:35 am »
The parking move that could be banned under Highway Code change
Many drivers don't even know the new policy is being considered

Changes to the Highways Code are being considered to boost pedestrian safety. One of these could involve parking on pavements.
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/parking-move-could-banned-under-27754371

People from 51 countries including the Vatican sign record breaking 20mph petition
But almost 90% of the 280,000 who have voted so far are from Wales
cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-51-countries-including-vatican-27751096

Online SteveH

« Reply #1573 on: September 23, 2023, 09:54:16 am »
It's been quite a week in Wales as the roads slowed down and the debate heated up. The biggest change on our roads for a generation was never going to be a smooth ride but the level of opposition has been striking.

A petition set up calling for the limit to be "rescinded" has topped 370,000 - over 10% of the nation's population. There have been accusations that it's been hijacked by "dark forces" and yes there have been signatures from other countries and probably a few who've signed more than once. But this shouldn't take away from the fact the change has triggered a huge negative response from those living in Wales.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/wales-cant-change-20mph-now-27755220?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Online SteveH

« Reply #1574 on: September 28, 2023, 10:03:28 am »
THE PETITION opposing the 20mph speed limit change in Wales is continuing to gather signatures.

As of Sunday, September 17, the majority of residential roads in Wales have changed from 30mph to 20mph.

The Welsh Government says the move will help save lives and also hope that it can encourage people to walk or cycle to work.

But, as with during the trial period in areas like Buckley, the change has been met with strong opposition throughout Wales.

A petition against the change has so far gathered over 438,000 signatures (correct at time of writing).

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/23818354.petition-opposing-20mph-speed-limit-change-keeps-gathering-signatures/