Author Topic: Financial matters  (Read 144736 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Financial matters
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:07 pm »
not being part of the Gruniad's governing body
Why on earth not?!

_))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »
 *&( article forecasting that America's world financial dominance is coming to an end and will be overtaken by China:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112616/imf-bombshell-age-america-end-marketwatch

We have lived in a world dominated by the U.S. for so long that there is no longer anyone alive who remembers anything else. America overtook Great Britain as the world's leading economic power in the 1890s and never looked back.

And both those countries live under very similar rules of constitutional government, respect for civil liberties and the rights of property. China has none of those. The Age of China will feel very different.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »
Perhaps it will mean an end to the appalling U.S. Foreign Policy that has caused so many problems in the world since the 1950s?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »
I don't imagine many people will complain about the USA's ''interventionist'' policies from 1943 to 1945 ?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:18 am »
I don't imagine many people will complain about the USA's ''interventionist'' policies from 1943 to 1945 ?

Or the one's from the 1950's onwards: http://youtu.be/guAcGOTaIts

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:34 am »

WWII started in 1939, did it take the U.S. four years to realise there was a war going on?  :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:23 am »
In the twentieth century, America veered between isolationism and interventionism, but there was a lot of background to each. Effectively, the latter promoted strong economic growth, resulting in a huge growth spurt after WWII, handily illustrating the thirty fourth rule of acquisition: "War is good for business".  The new-found confidence after WWII, which resulted in an era of hitherto unseen prosperity, made the US very aggressive towards anything that appeared to threaten that prosperity - such as Communism - so they developed a markedly anti-communist mentality and policed both their own country (the McCarthy era, which ushered in McCarthyism) and the world to make sure that nothing and no one could damage the US recovery.

But it hasn't worked: what it has done is encourage the development of rabid anti-US sentiments across the planet and proved that meddling with the internal affairs of other countries eventually results in even more problems.

If there's a distinctiveness to US foreign policy, I think it's that they see world events and other political systems in black and white; for US policy makers, certainly, there are no shades of grey, which is both curious and understandable.  Curious, because so many of the original US settlers were themselves fleeing repression and persecution and understandable for exactly the same reasons.  US history (brief as it is) is also seen in those terms: the North and the South; cowboys and Indians; rich and poor; Communism and  Capitalism; Republicans and Democrats; and so on. While they see the world in such simplistic terms, I wouldn't hold out much hope for change, however.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:42 am »

Or the one's from the 1950's onwards: http://youtu.be/guAcGOTaIts
Most of the present problems in the world stem from U.S. Foreign Policy. How many countries have the U.S. attacked/invaded/blown up since the 1950s? Compare that with how many times the U.S. has been attacked/invaded in the same time period? The rise of radical Islam and Al Qaeda stems from the perceived 'crusades' against Muslim countries carried out by the U.S. And let's not even get started on the CIA and their activities....  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:29 pm »
You are all heretics, and I shall inform my friend Mr X ..(head of the CIA) ..of your disloyalty.
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2011, 05:59:53 am »
You are all heretics, and I shall inform my friend Mr X ..(head of the CIA) ..of your disloyalty.

http://www.justresponse.net/DougalWatt20Aug02.html  L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:16 am »

Not......Mr X?! He's got his hands full at the moment....  L0L

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2011, 10:25:52 am »
No, You are thinking of Mr Big.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:31 am »
No, You are thinking of Mr Big.

John Tenta?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2011, 07:51:23 am »
I've created a new topic - Wrestling - in Sport, where this thread continues.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:05:04 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
I've created a new topic - Wrestling - in Sport, where this tread continues.

Well I got a bit TYRED of it !
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero