Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2667235 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5222 on: May 24, 2014, 05:24:12 am »
Send him the bill for the emergency services time!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5223 on: May 24, 2014, 08:44:27 am »
It reads as though he was supposed to be detained when he came down the first time ( for his own safety I would have thought), but the family said that they would care for him. Next thing he is back up there--- for the night.  Some care !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5224 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
If I was going to sleep on the roof I'd have waited for the rain to clear first.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5225 on: May 24, 2014, 10:36:20 am »
If I was going to sleep on the roof I'd have waited for the rain to clear first.

:laugh: good advice!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5226 on: May 24, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
Tricky.  He's clearly mentally ill, but if he's never shown signs of violence committal will be viewed as extreme.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5227 on: May 24, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »
. Storms from North and West have been happening in Llandudno for centuries and adoption of sensible measures such as planks  to fill the gaps in the seawalls ,as Hugo mentions, is the answer, even if the walls have to be raised  a metre or so.
Just dumping stones on the beach is not the answer, they will all be washed away within a year or two,then what next ?

In the meantime a lovely seaside resort is being ruined, and remember if the visitors don't like it they will find somewere else to visit and spend their money.

The system I referred to was not as primitive as it seemed.   Either side of the gaps were pillars purposefully built with a groove down the side so that in times of storms these planks could be dropped in, in order to prevent any sea water from cascading down into Mostyn Street.
I went past yesterday and these gaps now have small hinged metal gates fixed to the pillars and the gates  are discretely positioned behind the seats and they will be closed as and when required.
What hasn't been explained to people is why they were able to import sand onto the West Shore for a sea defence  but now they cannot import sand onto the North Shore.     They say the sand will shift, well it has on the West Shore as it is half way down Abbey Road!      The North Shore and Colwyn Bay are both northerly facing but they have two different types of sea defences, one of quarry rubble and one of imported sand which doesn't make any sense at all.   

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5228 on: May 24, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »
We popped up to the in-laws this afternoon to watch the airshow.  I know it was never going to be a patch on the Rhyl Airshow but what and absolute disaster it turned out to be  :(.  We spent most of the afternoon watching the continuous exodus of cars from Bodafon fields and odd passing formation of Herring Gulls.  Finally the aerobatic team showed up so we watched them then joined the exodus and went home ourselves.  I feel really sorry for those people who traveled from afar and wasted a lot of time and money getting here for next to nothing.  Someone should have done the decent thing and called the event off yesterday to save so much disappointment.  I suspect if they try to put on a show next year a lot of people won't bother turning up again.

On the plus side it was nice to see so much sand on the beach once the tide started to go out after being told that there wasn't any, and we've always got Rhyl to look forward to in August.  Hopefully some of those people who were left so disappointed today will have a better experience there.

Emo Philips

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5229 on: May 24, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »
Maybe they should have moved the air show indoors due to the poor weather?  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5230 on: May 24, 2014, 11:20:25 pm »
I thought the pilots did fantastically well, considering the appalling (and probably dangerous) weather.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5231 on: May 26, 2014, 12:54:31 am »

I know it was never going to be a patch on the Rhyl Airshow but what and absolute disaster it turned out to be.

I suspect if they try to put on a show next year a lot of people won't bother turning up again.

On the plus side it was nice to see so much sand on the beach once the tide started to go out after being told that there wasn't any

we've always got Rhyl to look forward to in August.  Hopefully some of those people who were left so disappointed today will have a better experience there.

The Organisers of the Air Show have no control over the weather and they are rather reluctant to risk losing a £60,000,000 Hurricane just to keep you and a few other people happy FatAndy.  As to next year we will just have to see which way the wind blows.

By the way it has been known for it to rain in Rhyl in August and if there is as much bad weather between Rhyl and RAF Coningsby they wont risk the aircraft then either.

As to all the lovely sand you mentioned it's useable for approximately 2 hours either side of low tide but not to worry as I'm sure the sand in Rhyl is much softer and a yellower than ours.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5232 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:40 am »

I know it was never going to be a patch on the Rhyl Airshow but what and absolute disaster it turned out to be.

I suspect if they try to put on a show next year a lot of people won't bother turning up again.

On the plus side it was nice to see so much sand on the beach once the tide started to go out after being told that there wasn't any

we've always got Rhyl to look forward to in August.  Hopefully some of those people who were left so disappointed today will have a better experience there.

The Organisers of the Air Show have no control over the weather and they are rather reluctant to risk losing a £60,000,000 Hurricane just to keep you and a few other people happy FatAndy.  As to next year we will just have to see which way the wind blows.

By the way it has been known for it to rain in Rhyl in August and if there is as much bad weather between Rhyl and RAF Coningsby they wont risk the aircraft then either.

As to all the lovely sand you mentioned it's useable for approximately 2 hours either side of low tide but not to worry as I'm sure the sand in Rhyl is much softer and a yellower than ours.

It's not me I'm concerned about.  I watched from the comfort of my in-laws house and didn't have to travel miles to get there.  I'm more concerned with the people who no doubt travelled from Liverpool, Manchester and possibly further afield to stand around in the torrential rain on the off chance something might happen and who will no doubt have spent a great deal of money doing so.  I doubt they'll have trudged back down the A55 with positive memories of Llandudno or any great desire to return.  What the organisers should have done was checked the weather forecast and called the event off early enough to ensure all those people didn't waste their time and money.  The weather was hardly unexpected so can't claim to have been caught by surprise.  In any case who organises an airshow outside the Red Arrows season.  It's one thing to watch an old Brazilian Air Force trainer puttering about but that's not what people attending an air show really want to see.  All in all the event was a complete PR disaster for Llandudno.

Emo Philips

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5233 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
2nd May Bank Holiday is always a bit of a let down and that's partly due to timing. There is only one pay packet in every month and due to Monday falling so early this year on the 26th, it's still a week to go until next pay day.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5234 on: May 26, 2014, 11:16:15 am »
2nd May Bank Holiday is always a bit of a let down and that's partly due to timing. There is only one pay packet in every month and due to Monday falling so early this year on the 26th, it's still a week to go until next pay day.

So the whole world is paid monthly & on the same day of the month???
Valar Morghulis