Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2663688 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3720 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
Im just sorry i allowed the situations to happen in the first place,if you don;t watch them 24

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3721 on: May 09, 2013, 08:58:23 am »
I was passing about 4.15pm and Eddie Hall was removing several bags of rubbish from just inside the entrance off Mostyn Street.

One of Wrex's compatriots was searching for Eddie's phone number when I met her in town at 2pm ish.  Now there's prompt service for you.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3722 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
A big well done to the Extravaganza committee for sorting out the problem so quickly.  $good$

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #3723 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:50 am »
If only CCBC were as efficient!
Street light I reported being out on dangerous junction still not fixed after 3 weeks
Well done Wrex, the extravaganza was once again brilliantly organised and did the town proud $walesflag$

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3724 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:45 pm »
iv,e reported a street light thats been out for 6 months  a few times still not lit ,  they,ve tarmaced the pavement by the hospital ,but be careful at the junction there [ by the shop ] 2 big pot holes.   :rage:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3725 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:04 pm »
Thanks Mike.Bellringer,walked around church grounds tonite,looks ok now,gave it a little brush,hope its ok now.

Offline Ajllandudno

« Reply #3726 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:02 am »
I'd like to think if I park my car on the grass down gloddeth avenue I wouldn't receive a ticket,
Can't use the extravaganza as a excuse, if llandudno can't accommodate the extra cars that come then they should think twice about host the extravaganza.

On the subject of the extravaganza, the feedback I got after my mini break was ALL negative..
I can't say I have been a fan of the whole thing since I was a little boy, I'm all for the transport festival side & the small rides for children but I find it brings a whole host of problems & trouble.
Two young gentlemen had been attacked & required sitches at the hospital.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3727 on: May 10, 2013, 01:47:08 am »
Why do people choose to live in a tourist town, which was BUILT specifically for that purpose, and then complain when it is busy with tourists?

It is so annoying when people go out of their way to look for negatives about the Extravaganza, and in AJ's case you were not even in town when it was on!  :o

If you don't like it, ignore it. but don't criticise it unless it directly affects YOU.

Two lads needed stitches did they?  I would imagine that is LESS than a normal Saturday night then. How many were involved in punch-ups in Colwyn Bay?   What about Rhyl?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3728 on: May 10, 2013, 07:28:45 am »
Why do people choose to live in a tourist town, which was BUILT specifically for that purpose, and then complain when it is busy with tourists?

It is so annoying when people go out of their way to look for negatives about the Extravaganza, and in AJ's case you were not even in town when it was on!  :o

If you don't like it, ignore it. but don't criticise it unless it directly affects YOU.

Two lads needed stitches did they?  I would imagine that is LESS than a normal Saturday night then. How many were involved in punch-ups in Colwyn Bay?   What about Rhyl?

I know the two lads, to be fair it's said they were attacked by people 'working' at the extravaganza on the stalls/rides. So he has got a point there. Myself I love the extravaganza, though I wish the rides and games were cheaper, with a couple of kids it's easy to spend 50 or 60 quid inside a few hours. But I do love how town is so busy and the atmosphere, personally I would like to see town like that every weekend, isn't that the purpose of the town? Being a holiday destination and all? Seems to me like AJ wants the town to fail at its very purpose, which is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:02:19 am by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3729 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:53 am »
I do love how town is so busy and the atmosphere, personally I would like to see town like that every weekend, isn't that the purpose of the town? Being a holiday destination and all?
Agreed. Many of the town's traders have been struggling this year and the Extravaganza gave them a much needed boost in takings.

I was in town for several hours on each of the three days, I saw one shoplifter being detained outside HSBC by Police, but that was it for trouble. Not bad when you consider up to 100,000 people were in the town over the 3 days.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3730 on: May 10, 2013, 08:36:28 am »
On the subject of the extravaganza, the feedback I got after my mini break was ALL negative..

Well, folk do love to complain but the real question for everyone is does the Extravaganza make a difference?

Anywhere selling food benefits enormously during the weekend, that's for sure, as do many of the hotels and boarding houses and many shops selling things people just need that weekend also do well. Those places pay rates - often substantially - and those rates go towards maintaining the look and feel of the area which, when all is said and done, is a holiday destination.  So in the purely financial sense, the Extravaganza probably makes it that bit easier for many of the businesses to survive.

The timing of the event isn't an accident either. It was first held on the Mayday holiday to give the town a pre-season boost and, in that sense, I believe it also succeeds. Actually, since the event was largely the idea of the then Tory councillor, Margaret Lyons, I have a sneaking suspicion her motive was at least partly to put a Labour-inspired holiday to good Tory use, but that's now irrelevant.  ;D

What the event does, however, is to create a buzz in and around town, and it's a buzz which is sorely needed at a time when there's so much fiscal doom and gloom about. It certainly gives a positive impression of the town to visitors, and these may return at some point in the future, so that's another plus point. In fact, apart from the near-impossibility of moving or parking throughout that weekend, there are few downsides to what has become quite an event. And it is only one weekend in fifty two.

But the hidden value of the event - one which most never see - is the culture, the ethos of the incredible band of volunteers that take on the organisation of the event. These are the folk who start planning next year's event shortly after this one ends, who meet regularly during the winter, give endlessly of their time and expertise and then arrive at the event, only to be harangued, abused, verbally assaulted and dropped on during the first morning of the event by all manner of people holding them accountable for the positioning of the rides, steam organs, steam engines, barricades, and road closures, parade times and just about anything which they don't like and which they think are the responsibility of the event's organisers. 

Most people just turn up and never give a second thought to the issues surrounding its organisation - and that's as it should be - but we shouldn't forget the work of those folk.  And if we really hate the event, then we can all stay away and leave the visitors to have a wonderful time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3731 on: May 10, 2013, 08:47:41 am »
Very well said, Ian.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3732 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
Llandudno could be getting its sandy beach back
9 May 2013 14:46 By Judith Phillips

Conwy Council is working on a way to remove the rocks from the resort's North Shore and restore the old 'kiddies' corner'

Hopes that a permanent solution can be found to the problem of a popular beach’s lost sand have been raised.

In recent years sand on Llandudno’s North Shore has been covered by rocks and stones, meaning the area once known as Kiddies’ Corner is no longer a prime spot for sandcastle building.

Earlier this year, Conwy County Council transported thousands of tonnes of sand from the West Shore to try to replenish the beach, but according to pleasure boat operator John Storer this has only been a partial success.

“If you simply dump large amounts of sand, especially unsuitable sand of the fine, windblown type cleared from West Shore, on top of the accumulated rocks and stones it’s the equivalent of trying build the brick walls of a house first, and then the foundations later.

“The area must be cleared of stones first, and then the existing sand beneath them will be uncovered,” he said.

Mr Storer, who operates pleasure boat trips from the North Shore jetty, says a small trial carried out by his company has revealed that the importation of sand isn’t necessary.

“Removal of the rocks,  and riddling the beach material, leaves a nice area of sand for people to enjoy.

“If sufficient very large rocks were imported to form a groyne to the north west and parallel to the far jetty this would suffice to prevent the migration of rocks and stones from the foot of the Orme and would see the return of the traditional children’s corner,” he suggested.

Cllr Mike Priestley, Conwy Council’s cabinet member for highways, said he was hoping to put measures in place to remove the rocks and stones from that part of the beach.

He explained: “We’ve put in a formal request for an alteration to the licence which allows us to do work on the beach, to permit the removal of all the rock and stones from kiddies’ corner.

“We are determined to improve the area, and it’s a work in progress. Once the rocks are removed we will then be able to keep the beach clear of stones by using a surf rake to maintain the sandy area.

“We are committed to making improvements and hopefully will be able to carry out the work before too long.”

And he complimented Mr Storer on work his company has carried out to repair the main jetty after it was damaged by winter storms.

“They have done a fantastic job to restore an important amenity and we appreciate it,” he added.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/plans-give-llandudno-sandy-beach-3566519

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3733 on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:46 am »
Sorry Born2run,it is a free event,i don;t know how i can control their prices without letting them come for nothing and even then they would still charge,they know their buisness and charge what they think they can get,its our choice to give it them or not.Ian,thanks for your comments.

Offline mrsflintstone

« Reply #3734 on: May 10, 2013, 10:02:04 am »
A big well done to the Extravaganza committee for sorting out the problem so quickly.  $good$

That was down to the event co ordinator Gaynor Baker, Wrex,s side kick they are a good team. Wrex Called and Gaynor sorted it by calling Eddie Hall the council would not collect as it was on private land !! and if it was now put on street then extravaganza could be done for fly tipping. The cost of removal was payed for by the event so well done good PR  ZXZ ZXZ ZXZ