Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203789 times)

Offline speilberg91

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:01 pm »
My dad was having you on a bit there Emma, the only connection is that the Minogues apparently come from Capel Garmon like us but he likes to think we could somehow be related!

Offline emma p

« Reply #661 on: August 30, 2012, 08:11:20 am »
Oh, what a blow !!! lol. As if !

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #662 on: August 30, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
Kylie's roots are in Maesteg, South Wales but I did read about a relative in Blaenau Ffestiniog.  Perhaps you can go one better and you'll be singing "I should be so lucky" 

Offline emma p

« Reply #663 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »
Dont think i can bare the anticipation much longer Hugo !!!  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #664 on: August 30, 2012, 05:04:38 pm »
Calm down Emma, calm down.      ;D

I was at the Archives today and spoke to the man again. He's a nice person and very interesting to talk to and what he doesn't know about Glanwydden isn't worth knowing anyway. He's done research for over 30 years and his findings are documented and copies are with the Gwynedd archives and elsewhere and he offered to show me the papers to verify everything but I think that it is up to the present Roberts connections to do that if they so wish.  Anyway I'm not going into any detail  but the  link is with Robert Roberts the Baptist preacher at Fforddlas.  The link with the local area is the Pugh family of Penrhyn Old Hall Penrhyn Bay.  The link with mid wales is well, mind blowing.   Owain Glyndwr, the last native Welshman to hold the title Prince of Wales born 1359 died 1416.
Not direct descendants of both but there are links through marriages etc
I believe that the Roberts had a hall in Glanwydden and it was called LLANWYDDEN and was near the Queens Head. The family have a Coat of Arms and I was advised that someone local has it.  A photo of Llanwydden Hall and the coat of arms appears in a book at pg 322/3.  The book is called"The heart of Northern Wales" and is by W Bezant Lowe.

Now Emma I know what you're like, so before you go on Amazon and order the entire supply of books for Xmas presents for the Roberts'  I must tell you that they are £125.00 EACH    :o
They are however available for reading at the Conwy Archives.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #665 on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
I just want to correct something from the above and it is that the Salesbury family had Llanwydden Hall originally and I just need to check again on the Roberts connection with the Hall.  Everything else is ok

Offline emma p

« Reply #666 on: August 30, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »
Woah !!! Bloomin 'ek Hugo......thats alot to take in !!! Its brilliant. Royal blood no less !!! lol. Must get to Conwy archives then.....in the meantime ill try and do some internet research.
Thanks Hugo....youre a superstar !
Robert Roberts of Ffordlas ? was he the one to bring the baptist religion to wales ? He wasnt the one at Glan conwy was he, that was william ?
Ill text jane and get her to have a read, shes in Glanwydden tomorrow. Brill  $walesflag$

Offline jane B

« Reply #667 on: August 30, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »
Hi Hugo/Emma,
There certainly is a lot to digest there! Emma you are correct it was William Roberts at Fforddlas but he had a brother Robert Roberts and I couldn't find out much on him. I would love to look at the book and speak to the man with all the Roberts stuff.I will have look round tomorrow but I won't have time to go to the Archives, more's the pity.You will have me wondering now until I can do more research!
Thanks Hugo for remembering us!

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #668 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »
Not a bad bit of information to wait for, thanks Hugo. What's the name of the person who works in the archives? We'll have to pop down sometime to have a chat with him. We've found The Heart of Northern Wales in the University library in Bangor, so looks like we'll be going there as well to have a look at it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #669 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
The Archives shut on Thursday Jane so there is no point in calling there but I'll send a PM tomorrow as I'm going out right now    Z**
That book is in the Conwy Archives at Llandudno if you want to see it.         $walesflag$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #670 on: August 30, 2012, 08:43:50 pm »

That book is in the Conwy Archives at Llandudno if you want to see it.         $walesflag$

PM facility has been closed down, Hugo.    Would have sent a PM but not allowed!   Admin posted a message earlier.

Don't know how we can converse now, apart from publishing our email addresses on the open Forum, or making everything we want to discuss privately,  public!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #671 on: August 31, 2012, 09:23:45 am »
Thanks for that Yorkie as I didn't know about it, I'll think of something though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #672 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:37 am »
Jane, I must have been in such a rush to get that pint that I got the day wrong.  It's today Friday that the Archives are closed. They open to the public Mon to Thurs between the hours of 10.00am and 12.30 pm, then close for lunch and reopen 1.30 to 4.30.
I was looking at the Parish records for the 1770's and 1780's yesterday but couldn't see anything for Enoch snr.

It's a beautiful day in Llandudno today so I hope you and all your relations have a lovely time at the Queens Head   ZXZ and when you can Google "Llanwydden Hall" and you'll see some of his work there. Bob is a volunteer at the Archives and it's usually Thursdays when I've seen him there

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #673 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:32 am »
I've set up a Facebook Group for Forum members to join, so they can contact each other by Facebook's own messaging system:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/threetownsforum/

Offline speilberg91

« Reply #674 on: August 31, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the name Hugo, we'll be sure to pop down one Thursday to have a chat with him. We took out the book 'The Heart of Northern Wales' from the University Library today and it makes interesting reading. Also happens that the book was published in Llanfairfechan, so we've brought it home! I've just found that in the archives in the University as well that there are some papers by a Robert D. Barnsdale which include something titles 'The Salisbury Family of Llanwydden Hall, Glanwydden: Their Ancestors and Descendents', whether it's of any use or not I don't know, they were mentioned in 'The Heart of Northern Wales' as being related somehow to R. Roberts.