Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203816 times)

Offline emma p

Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:23 am »
Hi all,
Hugo....ive had a thought, though i may be putting two and two together and coming up with five, but see what you think.....

In 1841 Enoch(snr) is 60 and a former miller, living at Pendyffryn. Richard (his son) is 24 and also living there.
By 1851 Richard is off and married to Ann.....do we know where they are living at this point ?
In 1861 Richard and Ann are living at 3, Pendyffryn with their children.
Now heres my thought.....In 1871 Richard and Ann are living at Ty y Felin (The mill house) Glanwydden, which you describe as very near Pendyffryn. The Mill House ?? Please tell me its the 'Windmill' opposite Pendyffryn ????? !!!!!! Im thinking with his father being a former miller that Richard is following his fathers footsteps ?

Am i completely wrong ? most probably. ;)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:55 am »
Found this snippet on the old Glanwydden windmill:

(It has exactly the same postcode as the Pen Dyffryn cottages)

http://www.windmillworld.com/millid/wales51.htm

"The windmill has been converted into a home now but the charter for the first mill on the site dates from 1580. The Mill was rebuilt in 1704 and has a keystone over the door to commemorate this. The mill ran in to disrepair just after the first world war, the sails falling from the mill and killing a pig. It was then used as a sheep fold untill the 1980's when it was restored and made into a home."

Offline emma p

« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:34 pm »
Thanks Trojan......its such a beautiful building and the thought of my ancestors having lived there would be lovely. Im probably very wrong but the thought came to me in the middle of the night !!!
Is there another 'Mill House' in Glanwydden near to Pendyffryn Cottages ?? 

Offline Trojan

« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
I'm not sure if Trojan has the right Chapel , what about the Salem Baptist Chapel in Adelphi Street / Mostyn Broadway.   It's nearer to Jubilee Street although I can't say that I've noticed it before.     ???
SALEM BAPTIST CHAPEL, ADELPHI ST. AND MOSTYN BROADWAY, LLANDUDNO; CHRISTADELPHIAN HALL

Site Details
 Site Details
 NPRN 6896 Map Reference SH78SE Grid Reference SH7868482143 Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy Old County Caernarfonshire Community Llandudno Type of Site CHAPEL Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary Period Post Medieval
Site Description

Salem Baptist Chapel was built in 1889 and enlargd in 1912. The present chapel, dated 1912, was built in the Vernacular style of the gable entry type. The chapel is now used as a Christadelphian Hall.

Sorry Hugo, I said it was in Craig-y-Don. It isn't. I was thinking of Mostyn Ave when it's actually on Mostyn Broadway.

Llandudno Christadelphian Hall - Google Maps

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »
I can see where the confusion has come from but I think your photo is of the later addition to the Chapel and is the Mission although it is the main entrance to the building now.
My first photo of Salem Baptist Chapel is in Adelphi Street and the second one is of the building which may be the building that was built on the land given to the Baptists by Lady Mostyn.  Both buildings are joined together to make one large building.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »
Trojan,  the Windmill was restored by your Grandparents next door neighbour Roger Ellis and a fine restoration it is.      :)

Emma, It wasn't the Windmill I'm afraid.    :(

I'll have a look at my notes about the other points that you've made and will post something later.  My dog's due for his walk now and he's too big to argue with.    :)

Offline emma p

« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »
oh Hugo..... :( thought it was too good to be true !!!!  ;D It was a moment of madness on my part !
Your dogs a beauty.....funnily enough my husband and i are mulling over getting a dog. Theres a local greyhound rescue centre nearby and we're gonna go and take a look.
Bad idea probably......we'll come home with two !!!
Happy dog walking.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
I've misplaced some of my notes but can't remember doing a census check on Richard for 1851. That's easy enough to find out but it may be over a week before I can go to the Archives or Library.  With your family living in this area things are easier to trace although I couldn't find the exact address of Richard in Tyn Y Coed as the Rates book was not available at the Archives for that period.
When I had a look for Ty y felin in Glanwydden I couldn't find it but that's not to say it has been demolished because the house may have had a change of name for instance.
There was an end of terrace house called Pentre Felin  ( Village Mill in English) and that may be it but I can't say for certain.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »
Emma, I had a look at the Census records for Richard Roberts in 1861 and 1871 and he was living at 3 Pendyffryn and Ty y Felin respectively.  I still need to look again at the ones for 1841 and 1851 but it takes time and I can't follow it up for a bit.
What makes it difficult is that the Census does not always put the houses in the order they appear in the streets and I know that some of the names have changed over the years and some houses must have been demolished.
For both years I have made notes of the names of all the houses in the street leading up to the Queens Head and the 1871 Census is interesting.   It lists the Queens Head  with Ty y Felin next to it and no mention whatsoever of the Windmill.  Whereas the 1861 Census listed Windmill House but no mention of Ty y Felin?     
What I'm getting at is that the two properties may be the same building and Richard did live there but until I see the other Census forms then I'll hedge my bets.
Your Richard may then have lived in the Windmill so if he did you're going to have to buy the renovated one and keep it in the family.       $good$

Offline emma p

« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »
 LOL....In my dreams Hugo !!!
I did try the euro lottery last night but no good. Waiting for tonights lottery.....you never know.
All i can say is.......one of these days i will be there  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #325 on: September 24, 2011, 11:17:49 am »
Just further updates Emma.
I've checked Census records for 1841,1851,1861 and the Windmill is listed in the addresses but no trace of Ty y Felin.
 In the 1871 Census the Windmill is not listed but Ty y Felin (the Mill House) is but this is not conclusive proof that they are the same building so it's still a mystery
Today I've checked the 1881 Census for Richard Roberts and the details are:-  Richard was living at 2 Maesdu Cottage Llandudno and was aged 64 and an agricultural labourer. Anne his wife  was aged 50 and also there were Ellen Roberts aged 16? a general servant and William the son aged 6.
I think the cottage was part of Maesdu Farm which has since been demolished but am not certain, perhaps other locals may know.
I then had a go at the 1851 Census for Richard and one result I found was that a Richard Roberts then aged 32 was living at Penrhyn an estate of 300 acres and his employer was a farmer called Anne Phillips.  Richard wasn't married at that time but I cannot be positive that this is your relative
Next, I had a go at the 1881 Census for Enoch Roberts. You already know that he lived at Tan yr Ogo Cottage but did you know that his next door neighbour was actually Thomas Kendrick?
I know through the Census which cottage he lived in but will need to see the cottages myself to confirm the correct address. 

Offline emma p

« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »
Hi Hugo,
lovely to hear from you.
Great info today. Im back at work and really busy so i cant give our search my full attention, much to my frustration. Maesdu Cottage ? Thats new. Where would that have been ?
Cannot wait to find out the exact cottage in Tan-yr-ogo.
Next time we come we'll have the latest edition to our family with us to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of Llandudno.....we've adopted a retired greyhound !!!
He's beautiful and so calm and gentle (except for at night when he wont be left downstairs !  :roll:)
So we'll be looking forward to some long walks.
Ill put some pics on of him when i work out how to size them properly !!
Speak soon and thanks. :))

Offline Hugo

« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »
Look at the street map of Llandudno on Google and go to Maesdu Avenue by Maesdu Golf Club. Then go along the road in the direction of Deganwy, after only about 100 yards you will see an old building on your left. That is all that remains of Maesdu Farm which was on that site.
I can remember other farm buildings on the opposite side of the road but they were demolished many years ago.
That is where I think Maesdu Cottage must have been but that's only a guess but if I'm wrong then I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to tell you for certain.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
I can remember other farm buildings on the opposite side of the road but they were demolished many years ago. That is where I think Maesdu Cottage must have been but that's only a guess but if I'm wrong then I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to tell you for certain.

You're probably right Hugo. Richard Roberts was, as you say, an agricultural labourer after all.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »
Yes Hugo, there were some cottages on that side of Maes Du. I have a vague memory that they have been mentioned on a previous thread on the Forum, but cannot remember which one.  :-[
Dictum Meum Pactum