Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203821 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 05:59:54 pm »
My Nain was Elizabeth Evans from Gerlan near Bethesda and was in service at that address when she married Joseph Atherton Roberts.

By coincidence, my family stayed in the same section of the Four Oaks Hotel for 12 weeks after the June 1993 flood disaster.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »
Glad that you had a nice time in Llandudno Emma, shame about the weather but it seems that you've been very busy last week.
The info about John Roberts is very informative and should help in your search for his grave.  Kings Road was in the Parish of Eglwysrhos so it is possible that he was still living there when he went to Plas Tudno Hospital.
Looking forward to your postings and photos

Offline emma p

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 06:36:40 pm »
Ah, sorry, those names are not familiar to me. My great grandmother must have been in service too. She was named Annie Webb before she married my great grandfather John Roberts.
She was born in Wednesbury and still there aged 17 in 1901 but living in Penrhyn Cres. by 1906 (the year she got married).
Hugo....all your research has helped us greatly. The people at the archive centre were so helpful, we just ran out of time. I did manage to get a copy of john and annies marriage certificate from the town hall and the registrar, a great help too, showed me the entry for his death.
It was wonderful to find enoch and anns grave on the Orme. There is another grave right next to it but the headstone has fallen so you cant read it.....i wonder ????? But the man at the archive centre and the man at Bron y nant crem,who we rang, said there is no record of him being buried there.
So our next try is St.Tudnos and Llanrhos.
We also need a further look at the street indexes and obituaries. So another trip necessary.
I was wondering when the Four Oaks Hotel began trading ? I thought i might ring the hotel and ask ...you never know they may have records of their own.
Also going to order a marriage certificate for enoch and ann, but not much to go on yet except for years of birth.
Are there two main churches in Llanrhos ? I know one is St Hilarys.
Ill try to get pics on asap.  $walesflag$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »
Llanrhos churchyard is very large and rambling. I had the task of finding a grave there which I did-- how I don't know, I just really stumbled across it by accident !If you are thinking of going before long you either need trousers or wellies to explore the old part of the graveyard as it is very brambly and there are lots of nettles.It seems to consist of alot of separate areas, so some idea of a 'grave plan' could be useful !
http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Ancient_Churches/Llanrhos_Church.htm
There is also the modern cemetery which isn't as interesting history wise but is also very large.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 08:54:25 pm »
The Lawn Cemetery in Llanrhos was started in about 1973 I was told, but I remember speaking to the Vicar in Penrhyn Bay who was very helpful in locating a relatives grave.  I'll try and get some info on the old cemetery in Llanrhos asap.
In view of the date of death of John, the odds are on St Tudno's being the burial place.

Offline emma p

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 09:18:01 pm »
Thanks hugo, got my fingers crossed for St.Tudnos !!!
Just found a picture of Plas Tudno in the gallery-advertisement section-it was a private hotel in 1941. Also the four oaks. 
Yes we were told the same about the lawn cemetery when we rang. Got a load of phone numbers so ill give it a go too.
We found 7,jubilee street and also the grassed area that was 26 kings road. Also the plaque on number 35. Fascinating stuff !
Does jubilee terrace still exist...couldnt seem to find that.

Thanks for advice about wellies at Llanrhos too !  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:08 pm »
Emma, I've been to the Conwy Archives today and have some positive news for you.  I'll list what I've found.
Kings Road, there has been no renumbering. No's 1-32 were the original houses on the railway side so John Roberts' at No 26 was one of those that were demolished.
Jubilee Street was formerly Warehouse Street until 1910  but the original houses No's 1-32 were actually called Jubilee Terace.  When No's 33 -40 were built the name of Jubilee Street was applied to all that street.
I looked at the Llandudno Advertiser dated 21st Feb 1920 and John Roberts' obituary was there.
John was a member of the 17th Royal Welch Fusiliers and military honours may have been accorded at his funeral. He left a wife and four children.
John was buried at St Hilary's Church Llanrhos and it was in the book in the Archives all the time. The only thing was that it was listed under the heading Armed Forces, but even there it didn't list anyone's name just the grave number so I went through the records until I came across John's.
John is buried at Section C  grave No 080 at St Hilary's Church.
I went to the Church and found his grave and enclose photo's for you. I'm sorry about the poor quality of them and hope that they are ok.     
By the way the staff at the Archives send their best wishes to you.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:31:47 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »
I did try to rotate those photos but don't know what has happened but perhaps Dave or Ian could work their magic on them and put them the right way up.       :-[

John Roberts' headstone and a photo of the position of the grave in the Church yard.   John's grave is next to the large headstone to the left

Offline hollins

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2011, 04:30:05 pm »
O'h Hugo, what an incredibly kind thing to do. It brought a tear  to my eye and I don't even know the man. He has a beautiful resting place.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »
Excellent research, Hugo, I'm sure Emma will be thrilled. I'm rotated the pics, so all should display correctly.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »
O'h Hugo, what an incredibly kind thing to do. It brought a tear  to my eye and I don't even know the man. He has a beautiful resting place.

Hear hear-- how kind.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:25 pm »
Hugo. You're brilliant.   $lol$
Micox

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
Hugo, you are very special man.

Offline emma p

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
Oh Hugo....words fail me. Im in tears here !!! I really cant thank you enough. Ive just read it all through and my hands are shaking and my heart is thumping !!!! What i really want to do is give you a great big hug !!!!! Oh why am i not in my beloved Llandudno right now !!!!
What a wonderful piece in the paper. Ive got an old ammunition tin here and in it im sure are medals and if not medals definately the ribbons and an old brass soldiers hat that must have been a snuff box....gonna get it out and look.
I cant wait to ring my sister and tell her the news. Shes coming up again in september and now i am most definately coming october-can only come school holidays.
Poor Annie and Enoch, they must have been devastated and so soon after Enoch lost Ann. To be honest i cant get them out of my head !
So john and annie had four children- i only know of richard(my grandad), Blodwyn and Lillian.
I must find time to e-mail my photos of Enochs grave tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you, Thank you, Thankyou. You are a superstar.  $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:37 pm »
Thanks Emma, it was my pleasure. John's headstone was done in Welsh slate and the inscription is still very clear with the Royal Welch Fusiliers emlem at the top of the headstone.
There are other graves of the fallen heroes alongside his too.
It'll be nice to see the rest of your photos and don't forget the Welsh inscription that you mentioned.       $walesflag$