Author Topic: Your Views Required: Future of the Forum  (Read 27695 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Your Views Required: Future of the Forum
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:38:45 pm »
I noticed today that we are about one month away from the Forum's first anniversary. Sadly, that also means that we are one month away from having to fork out another several hundred pounds to keep it going. I'd like to ask all the members (and I mean all the members, even if you don't normally post) what their views are on the Forum. What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? The response we receive will determine if the Forum continues or not.  $thanx$

Offline Ian Ralph

Re: Your Views Required: Future of the Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »
several hundred ££££......Must be all the bandwidth you use, which shows just how popular you are, so you have to keep going.

Stick a pay pal button on the site and have all the members buy a virtual pint  Z** and that should cover it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »
The site has unlimited bandwidth / MySql databases and space, so that obviously adds up. But the number of folk posting is small - minute, even, in relation to the total number of those visiting and even to the total number of members.  It's not so much the money, more that to perform the function we originally envisaged we need far more people,  more ideas, more and different views and more healthy debate and discussion. And that's simply not happening. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian Ralph

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »
I can see a strategy meeting coming up, Z**  lets see what the posting members want. J Oddy had a good idea when it was just Colwyn Bay local, to affiliate councils, service groups, tourism, politics,even the unvisited NWWN forum into this one as a point of reference and debate. If growth is the only way forward then it needs feeding. Knowing the time the admins give already be careful what you wish for it may come true...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »
After the recent (today) debacle about the use of the word R-E-S-T and the wholesale censorship of posts, and also the very funny video, during the period of the discussion, I don't think the Forum will have much of a future.

As far as the Forum is concerned, I was quite content reading others views (even on subjects of no interest to me).  I also enjoyed making my own small contributions, but today's episode has put me off completely.   There are many other Forums and Blogs in the ether all wanting our interest and it would not be difficult for some of them to get more of my attention than they do.   Censorship of items that purely were not agreeable to one person cannot be considered as acceptable.

However it is your Forum, so its future is entirely in your own hands but everything seems to have been done today to upset contributors rather than attract them.

I live in Penrhryn Bay just in case anyone had not noticed the many reference to the fact on the Forum.

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »
The site serves our local community very well indeed.

Both the NWNN and Pioneer would be lost without it.

Even North Wales Police have identified a use for the site.

Perhaps, some of these groups could help fund its future before the owner(s) decide they are unable fund it any longer.

On the other hand, paid advertising from local businesses may help.

I seem to remember sponsoring an advert myself of Craig Ollerton’s original forum.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »
Coming new to the area I have found the forum invaluable in the last twenty months. It was a big step into the unknown when we moved here without knowing anyone in the area. You know you want to live here, it all feels right  but you are uncertain how it will go. You just take that step and keep your fingers crossed. With the help of forum I feel I've had/got the ability to both ask and find out. I log on every day and, in most cases, love the humour, views and information provided on the site. Keep it as close to what you've got now as you can. I does the job and more.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:25 pm »
Well I think it's worthwhile keeping the forum going and if it means 'chipping in a few bob' then I am quite happy to do so.

I log on several times a day to see what's happening in the area in which I live and will continue to do so. I only make a few posts when I think I have something relevant to offer.
Some of the discussion topics I find a little irritating on occasions, but we live in a democracy so everyone is entitled to express an opinion within reason.
In recent times Blodyn and Hollins particularly have brought fresh impetus with their contributions especially about gardening, local wildlife and the Orme.  I hope they keep it up.
And Dave with his pictures, vast local knowledge, and news scoops, is certainly one good reason to keep logging on.

All the bellringing jokes and cracks have been exhausted in this first year and so apart from the odd post about what is happening in Llandudno and North Wales ringing circles, I cannot bore you all further too much!

I urge the forum to keep going and thank those who do keep it going.

Stan the (bellringer) man

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
I hardly know where to begin with my response.
What has happened today has been breathtaking, for all the wrong reasons.
I think I shall have to bullet point my responses, because they are so many, varied, and I might even appear to contradict myself at times.
I have a range of views on this topic you see, and I am struggling to make sense of what is being proposed now.
I also hope I don't offend any members with my opinions...
So here goes.

1, I went to work today, having raised what most right-thinking people would say was an innocuous question, regarding an innocuous word.

2, I arrive home to find that two of the biggest contributors to this Forum have either left, or considering it as a result of what transpired.

3, Then I see that the entire future of this GREAT forum is in doubt as a direct result of this mornings shenanigans.

4, Ian I see has reacted extremely sharply (and not for the first time) to a degree of banter, and now appears to be in the camp of those who believe the forum should end.  (I infer that from Ian saying that it is not serving its intended purpose)  Cyber security and issues regarding it are a serious issue, but I think here it is being somewhat over-done.

5, Ian believes that not enough people are posting, and not enough posts are being registered.  Well I have point out that you can't have it both ways, and Ian did directly invite THE BIGGEST EVER poster, one Robert of Birmingham, to go elsewhere.  Similarly, any newcomers seeing that incident, (or witnessing todays nonsense) would feel a little reticent to join in to such a happy Forum.

6, Having said that, I do not want the Forum to fold, I am in the same camp at The Medz as I joined it before I came to live in the area.
This Forum has been very useful to me, I have made firm friends through it... and I hope I have made a tiny contribution in return.
I would willingly contribute a few bob to an annual (or monthly) subscription.  I like Ian Ralph's idea of 'buy the Forum a pint via paypal.
Heaven knows I buy Dave R enough pints already ... Z** Z** 
On a serious note, that should answer Dave's question completely... keep the Forum? YES.   Pay a subscription YES, (if reasonable)

So, can we please all get back to normal and play nicely?
I promise never to raise any questions ever again... it seems that I am capable of starting a chain reaction, leading to World War III

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:18:45 am »
I would like to see the forum carry on, and I would be willing to contribute in a small way to keep it going.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
Despite my reaction to the furore yesterday I want to keep the Forum going as I have had the hassle of running my own, which was very successful until a couple of idiots started upsetting the applecart.

If money is a problem then collect a few bob from all us  who can afford to chip in. 

What is the annual cost?

Mine cost me about £200 for 3 years.  Is this one so much more expensive?
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:54 am »
3, Then I see that the entire future of this GREAT forum is in doubt as a direct result of this mornings shenanigans.

The debate about the possible future of this place is totally unrelated to anything that transpired yesterday.

(Ian)...appears to be in the camp of those who believe the forum should end

No, I was playing devil's advocate and spelling out the issues.  

5, Ian believes that not enough people are posting, and not enough posts are being registered.  Well I have point out that you can't have it both ways, and Ian did directly invite THE BIGGEST EVER poster, one Robert of Birmingham, to go elsewhere.

Actually, I've never said anything about the number of posts, Fester. There are always plenty of posts. That's not the issue at all. Here's what I said:

the number of folk posting is small - minute, even, in relation to the total number of those visiting and even to the total number of members
which is not the same thing.

You're right, however, when you infer I'm not a great one for banter as such, especially when the point of that banter seems contrived to circumvent a perfectly reasonable rule we have about not revealing any personal or private information unless the member concerned expressly agrees.  And no matter how anyone might argue the point, that's precisely what was happening.

Members might and do meet outside of the forum, but what happens outside the forum between members must be utterly divorced from information posted inside. Individual members trust each other with private information, and that's how it should be.  But a forum like this is open to absolutely anyone in the world with an internet connection, and posting anything in here is the same as broadcasting it on a satellite TV service to the entire planet. We have to remember that many of those who use the internet are looking to cause trouble, or use it for their own nefarious purposes. I would hope that we - as a group - are different, and prepared to consider the feelings of other members in that regard, rather than seeing something as an opportunity to play games.

If all this comes across as slightly starched, then that's possibly because of two reasons: firstly, when something affects others, then I do become defensive, because although something might not bother me personally, the possible ramifications for those who - through no fault of their own - become embroiled in an ongoing issue can be difficult to appreciate.

Secondly, this is not the only forum on which I'm an admin.  I've been running forums and their predecessors in one form or another since 1996, and I've witnessed - first hand - the consequences of the failure to take seriously issues regarding privacy.  This is one reason why more and more forums are becoming members only, requiring registration before visitors can even see anything at all.  And I do wonder, with the inexorable rise in social networking sites, such as Facebook, how much of a future there is for the traditional forum.

There's another issue, too; we've lost some exceptional posters in the past few months.  One, in particular, was provocative, spikey - even, but I thought had great promise.  They were eventually 'helped' out, by a plethora of comments from those who really ought to have been more welcoming.  And let's not forget the contribution made when PC Mike Smith joined, before he - too - was forced to reconsider his position and then left, precisely because of comments made in here by some members.

There are, however, a lot of members, but 17,528 posts have been made by only five members and the two admins, so it seems clear that either we're not serving the entire community as we would wish or out of 1002 members, just 0.005% are actually posting, which begs the question as to why more aren't.  There could be many reasons, of course; some might feel apprehensive, some overly-cautious, aware of the horror stories regarding internet abuse, and some might simply like looking at the pictures. I have brought in a few friends, and their reactions when they've registered and looked around are varied. But they don't post, and the common response from all of them is generally a lack of interest and relevance.

But what all this boils down to is we're running a forum for a handful of posters and an unknown number of watchers.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 10:04:06 am »
Mike's Three Town's Forum Golf evening with a bucket for collecting donations and contributions might be an idea.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 10:51:51 am »
Although I don't post much I wouldn't like to see this forum close - keep it going please

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:50:09 am »
But what all this boils down to is we're running a forum for a handful of posters and an unknown number of watchers.

I can only refer to the regular posting by DaveR when he publishes the statistics and generally remarks on the excellent way the Forum is progressing.
Cicero