Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254506 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #495 on: February 13, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »
Hollins, Dave R, Hugo and others have mentioned Plas Rhianfa (now Chateau Rhianfa) several times on this Forum.
It is just outside Menai Bridge, on the Menai Straits. facing Bangor Pier.

So, Mrs Fester and I made our way there yesterday for a great overnight stay.
The building and grounds are superb, the level of craftsmanship involved in everything is exceptional, and the food is the definitive example of fine dining.
I have stayed in many 5 Star hotels around the world (usually on business) in the past, but I have to say that Plas Rhianfa ranks as the best hotel I have ever stayed in, for many reasons.

Sitting in the hot tub yesterday, I threw open the large doors to have a view across the Menai Straits to Bangor, The Pier, and the snow-covered mountains beyond.
Sadly, when I took the photo today, you couldn't see the mountains due to the low cloud.  But mercifully, nor do you have to suffer the sight of me in the hot tub.
It really is blissful, and I can't WAIT to go again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #496 on: February 13, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay there, the place is really special and there is a nice atmosphere in the building.  The location is superb too.       $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #497 on: February 13, 2015, 06:06:08 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it Fester. Is it still communal dining in the evening?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #498 on: February 13, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it Fester. Is it still communal dining in the evening?

No, they've abandoned that idea H. 
The staff said it was notoriously unpopular.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #499 on: February 14, 2015, 05:15:06 am »
Oh that's good. We would love to go back now we know that.
I can't believe they persisted with it for so long.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #500 on: March 04, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Quinta do Lago or Conrad in the Algarve?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #501 on: March 04, 2015, 08:23:10 pm »
We are regular Algarve travellers having been holidaying there for almost 50 years!  The Quinta is a first class hotel and naturally you pay for the privilidge.  The Conrad we do not know so it must be fairly new, but so many have been built over past years we cannot keep up with them all.  Presume you are going for Golf, if not you will find you are out of the mainstream Algarve.  We tend to stay in and around the main town of Albufeira but have stayed in all parts of the 100 mile long coast. Mail me if you want any info.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #502 on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:51 pm »
As a p.s. You may like to consider the Hotel Epic Sana at Praia de Falesia.  A really first class hotel, right on the beach, everything about it is 5*.  Quite expensive, depending on choice of accommodation, but worth every penny.  Relatively new place but already establishing a reputation.
Definitely worth hiring a car, try Auto Jardim.   The local paper, The Algarve News is a good read and there is a FreeMap available showing all the best places to eat etc. The fish and seafood is superb, The Ruina at Fisherman's Beach in Albufeira is a good place to go.
 _))*
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #503 on: March 05, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »
Thank you very much for the information Yorkie, it is appreciated, we will check it out.
Golf will be a maximum of 3 rounds I would estimate, the rest of the time will be purely family time, so a nice beach would be most welcome as would be a nice variety of places to eat early on in the evening.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:40 pm »
My pleasure Mr T.  No shortage of places to eat, just avoid anywhere offering English Breakfasts!  The poshest looking places are not always the best for food and often a local Portuguese Cafe will present a gormet delight instead of flashy looking, tasteless rubbish.  The Portuguese tend to dine out later than us so should be no trouble getting a table in most places.  One word of warning, don't go out wearing your gold and sparkling jewellery at any time of day or night. If you do like a drink, don't drive.  Taxis are cheap as chips. 
Have a good time.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:52 am »
Do many expats live there Yorkie?
Is the weather reasonable during the Winter months?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:43 pm »
Yes plenty of people have moved there from the UK, Holland, Scandinavia as well as many other countries.  The place is very cosmopolitan and there are many businesss operated by them, although there are also many who have retired there.  Even the Newsagents have papers from all over Europe but they don't hit the shelves until after 10.00 and are not cheap.   It beats me why folk buy them when on holiday!  Some must have a morbid interest with them or just love news from the Homeland.

Weatherwise the Winter is very pleasant and we have even been on the beach on Xmas Day!   Some rain is experienced but man cannot live on wine alone!

I can recommend two all-day coach trips, if you are into such things. They are affectionately known as The Historical Algarve and The Eastern Algarve.
  $walesflag$ ££$
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:24 pm »
Many thanks for your help.

akmetr84

Room with a view
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2015, 02:21:48 am »
They must clearly state both on the booking page and room view that no persons under 18.
btw, only seen that in a hostel and only for mixed rooms.

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #509 on: March 15, 2015, 08:47:47 am »
All booked but not Portugal, Orlando by a majority verdict.
Two centre for all to enjoy. 8)